September 30, 2014, 07:55:03 AM

Poll

What is the ideal price Canon 5D Mark III/X?

$2,499.99
28 (33.7%)
$2,799.99
19 (22.9%)
$2,999.99
25 (30.1%)
$3,299.99
5 (6%)
$3,499.99
6 (7.2%)

Total Members Voted: 71

Author Topic: Canon 5D Mark III/X Ideal Price???  (Read 6041 times)

cps_user

Re: Canon 5D Mark III/X Ideal Price???
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2012, 08:02:14 AM »
Hard to say. For most people however I'd say: keep the 5d II and spend some $$$ on developing photo skills ;). I do this too and it's much more helpful than just some new stuff.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2012, 08:02:14 AM »

CowGummy

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • www.smrphotoart.com
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2012, 09:01:33 AM »
Hard to say. For most people however I'd say: keep the 5d II and spend some $$$ on developing photo skills ;). I do this too and it's much more helpful than just some new stuff.

+1. Agreed!
5DmkII   |  50 f/1.4  |  24-105L f/4  |  135L f/2  |  70-200L f/2.8 IS II  |  430exII

danski0224

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • Some of my Work in Progress
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2012, 10:21:16 AM »
My choice isn't up there.

I vote for $500.00 USD.

:)  ;)
Some of my Work in Progress..... www.dftimages.com

ions

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • ions' flickr
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2012, 10:27:59 AM »
Yes, consumers who have no clue about development or manufacturing costs should set prices. Although Canon makes money on these, as cameras don't make good loss leader products, any increase in price does not mean that it's pure gravy for them. Yes, the cost of a product is considered in placing it but so are myriad other factors. Plus the idea of bitching about the cost of something that isn't even established is ridiculous to me. Same thing with the lens prices "ohh that's way too much" having never seen a single sample image... silly. No this does not mean I like paying more. :P
Gear: Canon EOS 5DIII | Canon EOS 7D | Canon 24-70 ƒ2.8L | Canon 100 ƒ2.8L | Canon 70-200 ƒ2.8L IS II | 420 EX | Tamrac Evolution 9 | Crumpler 8 MDH | Manfrotto 190QC, 804RC2 head.
flickr

marekjoz

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • marekjoz @flickr
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2012, 10:43:04 AM »
Yes, consumers who have no clue about development or manufacturing costs should set prices. Although Canon makes money on these, as cameras don't make good loss leader products, any increase in price does not mean that it's pure gravy for them. Yes, the cost of a product is considered in placing it but so are myriad other factors. Plus the idea of bitching about the cost of something that isn't even established is ridiculous to me. Same thing with the lens prices "ohh that's way too much" having never seen a single sample image... silly. No this does not mean I like paying more. :P

Exactly. There is a term: "demand curve" and except other factors (influence on other product and competition) it is most important factor considered when price setting. Basing on marketing research, historical data and actual economic situation you can draw a curve within axes price vs demand (projected sales number). As far as we can determine total production, tax and delivery costs we can set the price for a customer at which the total profit on sold items will be maximum. But who cares? :)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 11:21:06 AM by marekjoz »
flickr | youtube | 5D2, 50 F/1.4, 24-105 F/4 L IS, 300 F/4 L IS, x1.4 II

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2012, 10:56:59 AM »
Ideal price (excluding tax) is the cheapest, of course :-)

Sunnystate

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2012, 12:57:25 PM »
Considering that 5D II was available not long a go for about $1800, and obviously not every photographer got one even if they could afford it, how about $1600 to make me jump and maybe think for a moment about investing in 22 Mp and cheated JPEG high ISO performance body for some four years to come?   ;)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 12:59:26 PM by Sunnystate »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2012, 12:57:25 PM »

Gothmoth

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2012, 01:45:57 PM »
you forgot to add the option of "I think canon should pay me to use it for them"

+1

JerryFish

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2012, 01:57:15 PM »
From the start, I must say that some heavy assumptions are being made in this analysis, and I do understand these shortcoming of my analysis, this must state that this is for speculation and fun ONLY.

Taking the price of the historical "big brother" of the 5D line, the 1Ds (due to FF) and determining the price index between them over three generations of cameras, one can estimate an index based price of the 5D. Due to the fact that  the 1DX has an MSRP of $6800, and staying true to its historical index, the next gen 5D would be priced at $2714. This is assuming that no other factors are involved in pricing (features, tech, inflation, exchange rate, etc.).

If we strictly take into consideration the current price of the YEN vs. USD over time (as some on this forum are prognosticating), we can expect the price of the 5D3 to properly reflect the historical prices of the 5D (with respect to the 1Ds prices) at $4064 adjusting for ERs. This would be the MSRP IF Canon wanted to continue the exact margins/index as the last generation of 5D/1Ds.

HOWEVER, I repeatedly hear justifications for price increases of the 5DmkIII base on solely exchange rates. I believe that this is a misnomer and not the driving MSRP factor for canon due to the fact that the MSRP of the 1DX was set at $6800! The price of that camera went DOWN compared to its last generation even with a YEN increasing in value by 50%. I do understand that the 1DX is not a true offspring of the 1DsmkIII, but with the combination of the two lines and addition of new features to boot, I believe my point to still be valid.

nicku

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2012, 02:10:45 PM »
From the start, I must say that some heavy assumptions are being made in this analysis, and I do understand these shortcoming of my analysis, this must state that this is for speculation and fun ONLY.

Taking the price of the historical "big brother" of the 5D line, the 1Ds (due to FF) and determining the price index between them over three generations of cameras, one can estimate an index based price of the 5D. Due to the fact that  the 1DX has an MSRP of $6800, and staying true to its historical index, the next gen 5D would be priced at $2714. This is assuming that no other factors are involved in pricing (features, tech, inflation, exchange rate, etc.).

If we strictly take into consideration the current price of the YEN vs. USD over time (as some on this forum are prognosticating), we can expect the price of the 5D3 to properly reflect the historical prices of the 5D (with respect to the 1Ds prices) at $4064 adjusting for ERs. This would be the MSRP IF Canon wanted to continue the exact margins/index as the last generation of 5D/1Ds.

HOWEVER, I repeatedly hear justifications for price increases of the 5DmkIII base on solely exchange rates. I believe that this is a misnomer and not the driving MSRP factor for canon due to the fact that the MSRP of the 1DX was set at $6800! The price of that camera went DOWN compared to its last generation even with a YEN increasing in value by 50%. I do understand that the 1DX is not a true offspring of the 1DsmkIII, but with the combination of the two lines and addition of new features to boot, I believe my point to still be valid.

...don't foget that the new generation of 5D will be much closer to the 1D flagship compared with older modeles ( 5D vs 1Dsmk2 and 5D2 vs 1Ds3) somehow is justified the price to be at $3000 or beyond 3k
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 02:14:07 PM by nicku »

kubelik

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • a teatray in the sky
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2012, 02:24:50 PM »
the 1D vs 5D comparison goes out the window when you realize Canon has finally put a pro-level AF into the 5D body.  I would be shocked if Canon kept the same ratio despite going from a paleolithic 9-point system to a full 61-point system.  so I'm not surprised by the $3500 price and I'm not quite sure why everyone else is so taken aback by it.  did you want AF improvement or not? 

oh, I see, we wanted AF improvement but we didn't want to pay for it.

if the retail price is $3499 as rumored, as soon as rebates start hitting the table it will come down to $3299 or so, which I think is a pretty good price point for such a piece of equipment.  take a look at the new lens pricing structure and you realize Canon wasn't nearly as ambitious with the 5D III pricing as I'm sure they wish they could be.

Tijn

« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2012, 02:31:21 PM »
$3,44 would be the best price. It would be very competitive towards Nikon and also very generous towards kids who want big boys' toys (I count myself one of them!  ;D ). Granted, of course, that they do not skimp on any features for that price. But that wasn't part of the poll.  ;D

cliffwang

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2012, 02:53:13 PM »
the 1D vs 5D comparison goes out the window when you realize Canon has finally put a pro-level AF into the 5D body.  I would be shocked if Canon kept the same ratio despite going from a paleolithic 9-point system to a full 61-point system.  so I'm not surprised by the $3500 price and I'm not quite sure why everyone else is so taken aback by it.  did you want AF improvement or not? 

oh, I see, we wanted AF improvement but we didn't want to pay for it.

if the retail price is $3499 as rumored, as soon as rebates start hitting the table it will come down to $3299 or so, which I think is a pretty good price point for such a piece of equipment.  take a look at the new lens pricing structure and you realize Canon wasn't nearly as ambitious with the 5D III pricing as I'm sure they wish they could be.

Sounds like Canon should sell its 1DX for $10,000.  The price is decided by the market, not the features.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 03:36:27 PM by cliffwang »
Canon 5D3 | Samyang 14mm F/2.8 | Sigma 50mm F/1.4 | Tamron 24-70mm F/2.8 VC | Canon 70-200mm F/2.8 IS MK2 | Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro L | Canon Closed-up 500D | 430EX | Kenko 2x Teleplus Pro 300 | Manfrotto Tripod

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2012, 02:53:13 PM »

marekjoz

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • marekjoz @flickr
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2012, 04:21:41 PM »

Almost the same comes from sth I wrote before:
"On US Canon website price of an old 24-70 I is set to 1399$ and price of 24-70 II - 2299$, 5dmk2 - 2499$. Is it expectable to see 5d3 for less than 3.5-4k$?"
My simpler calculations estimate price at 4106$, so 3999$.

flickr | youtube | 5D2, 50 F/1.4, 24-105 F/4 L IS, 300 F/4 L IS, x1.4 II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2012, 04:21:41 PM »