August 27, 2014, 05:23:15 PM

Author Topic: Will the suggested 5d III specs satisfy your photograpy needs?  (Read 25780 times)

birdman

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Will the suggested 5d III specs satisfy your photograpy needs?
« on: February 22, 2012, 07:17:22 PM »
I, for one, wish the 5d III had higher MP. I feel like the IQ will essentially be the same as the current 5dII that I own. ISO performance will be certainly better, and AF will kick serious but. However, it is a little curious to me that the MP as essentially the same. What I am saying, simply, is that the 1d3 and the 5dIII may be close to the SAME CAMERA!! Think about AF, frames per second, and MP. Then it becomes more curious.

Maybe I will keep my 5dII, which I am content with, and invest in new glass to be released soon. This may be my best bet. I just hate to keep a depreciating asset when I could afford to sell  and upgrade for about $1,000--the price I would get for my D7000 that I never shoot. AF is not important to me because I do 90% landscapes. But I will withhold judgement until the "Official" release. We could be in for a huge surprise.
5d2; 17-40L; 35L; 50/1.8 Mk. 1; 70-300 IS; 100mm/2.8

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: Will the suggested 5d III specs satisfy your photograpy needs?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 07:21:30 PM »
I, for one, wish the 5d III had higher MP. I feel like the IQ will essentially be the same as the current 5dII that I own. ISO performance will be certainly better, and AF will kick serious but. However, it is a little curious to me that the MP as essentially the same. What I am saying, simply, is that the 1d3 and the 5dIII may be close to the SAME CAMERA!! Think about AF, frames per second, and MP. Then it becomes more curious.

Maybe I will keep my 5dII, which I am content with, and invest in new glass to be released soon. This may be my best bet. I just hate to keep a depreciating asset when I could afford to sell  and upgrade for about $1,000--the price I would get for my D7000 that I never shoot. AF is not important to me because I do 90% landscapes. But I will withhold judgement until the "Official" release. We could be in for a huge surprise.

I wouldn't try comparing the two solely based on MP, if you did that one would be led to the assumption that a 5DII was superior to the 1D Mark IV (since it's only 16MP or whatever).  It's been almost 4 years since the 5DII was announced, I'm sure there will be some huge improvements (MP aside). 

For Canon to bring out a highly-anticipated camera with only a 1MP increase just doesn't make sense, I think there is something we don't know about this cam that we will be finding out soon.

Oh and to answer your question, yes, I think it will satisfy my photography needs.  The 5DII satisfies my photography needs, so I don't see why the new one wouldn't.  Then again I don't know anything about it aside from rumor specs and I've never seen images from it and I've never used it, so it's kinda hard to say.
5DIII/5DII/Bunch of L's and ZE's, currently rearranging.

Minnesota Nice

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 07:22:34 PM »
It easily fits my needs for photography, but I use my DSLR for video as well and I want something more than the standard 1080p @ 30/24 and 720p @ 60 fps.  It's not exactly in my budget to buy a Phantom Flex or a RED One so getting that 120 fps isn't very easy for me haha. 

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 07:25:14 PM »
I certainly hope so. I would like to see a couple of stops better iso in RAW files if the new 12800 = current 3200 that would be awesome. I'm totally not interested in marketing jpg spin though
AF will be a godsend extra FPS not critical but fine.
bigger better brighter veiwfinder would be sweet as going between 1D and 5D2 there is a massive difference
dual card is nice
and hoping for better build quality
APS-H Fanboy

kbmelb

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 07:29:40 PM »

I'd be completely stoked! A 1DsIII with gapless pixels, better ISO and DR for $3k. I strongly believe this camera will not be $3500.

I am sure I'll be selling my 1DsII to offset the cost and will keep my 5DII as a back-up/2nd camera.

JR

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 07:31:29 PM »
I certainly hope so. I would like to see a couple of stops better iso in RAW files if the new 12800 = current 3200 that would be awesome. I'm totally not interested in marketing jpg spin though
AF will be a godsend extra FPS not critical but fine.
bigger better brighter veiwfinder would be sweet as going between 1D and 5D2 there is a massive difference
dual card is nice
and hoping for better build quality

+1.  For me personally the ISO performance will be the selling factor.  If there no ISO performance improvements (or very little) I will think twice before upgrading.  For that matter I am still waiting anxiously to see how much improvement over the 5DmkII will the 1DX be at high ISO.

God forbid I dont want to go to the dark side, but Canon needs to give me better high ISO for what I shoot.  I dont mind if they dont beet Nikon at high ISO, but at least give us a meaningful improvement on the current line-up!
1DX, 24mm f1.4L II, 35mm f1.4L, 50mm f1.2L, 85mm f1.2L II, 135mm f2L, 24-70mm f2.8L II, 70-200mm f2.8L IS II :  D800, D4, and a whole bunch of Nikon lenses

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 07:34:59 PM »

Yes, if they don't give us some weird, crippled 61pt AF and if the fps are high. Although I certainly wouldn't have minded 30MP, definitely much better for wildlife and even for sports the reach helps too. Also nicer for landscape work. But 22MP, with 1DX AF, 7fps, improved low ISO DR, vastly improved video quality is quite nice (assuming all of that is the case, which is not at all certain).

alipaulphotography

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 07:35:57 PM »

Question - do you have a problem with the image quality of the current 5D?

psolberg

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 07:49:23 PM »
It is perfect for me. I was hoping for a 1DX sensor in a 5D body, similar to what nikon did with the D700. But I guess canon isn't that generous.

4K video is a silly pipe dream. I can't even buy a 2K tv much less a 4K one. so I couldn't care less. video wise, I hope it has clean HDMI out like the nikon because all cameras will have it and the seven thousand dollar 1DX looks stupid missing such basic thing.

I'd like the see the QXD card as an option since I hate bulky CF cards.

I know the high ISO will be really good and the AF will be better than the children's point and shoot AF in the 5DII.

CowGummy

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • www.smrphotoart.com
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2012, 07:50:07 PM »

A fair question I feel. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
5DmkII   |  50 f/1.4  |  24-105L f/4  |  135L f/2  |  70-200L f/2.8 IS II  |  430exII

adamfilip

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2012, 08:22:38 PM »
Since I had unreasonable requirements and standards NO it wont be good enough
this is what i want!

100MP
60 FPS
Clean ISOs from 25-1million
128 AF points all cross type, with EYE focus AF Selection
4k video at 120fps - raw
built in USB3, wifi, bluetooth, GPS, Compass, ethernet,thunderbolt, hdmi
swivel 4" OLED screen at full HD res
Full weather sealing to 10 meters underwater
and ofcourse a single SD card slot :P

Im willing to pay up to $1500 for this :)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 08:24:53 PM by adamfilip »

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2012, 08:29:42 PM »
We only have a few rumored specifications, its the whole package that will make me decide to upgrade from my MK II.  A camera which is capable of being used at higher ISO in low light would be great for me.  Better AF is also worth something.  I do tend to crop quite a bit, and my 5D MK II seems to be hitting the sweet spot for that.

Like the 1DX, I want to see how it actually performs in RAW, not jpeg on the small lcd.  I'll probably pre-order on the first day I can, I can always cancel or return it if its not up to expectations.

jrista

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2012, 08:33:15 PM »
It is perfect for me. I was hoping for a 1DX sensor in a 5D body, similar to what nikon did with the D700. But I guess canon isn't that generous.

4K video is a silly pipe dream. I can't even buy a 2K tv much less a 4K one. so I couldn't care less. video wise, I hope it has clean HDMI out like the nikon because all cameras will have it and the seven thousand dollar 1DX looks stupid missing such basic thing.

I'd like the see the QXD card as an option since I hate bulky CF cards.

I know the high ISO will be really good and the AF will be better than the children's point and shoot AF in the 5DII.

The 4k video is not so you can watch it at 4k...its so you have more resolution to work with during post. That gives you more freedom and control, as well as the benefit that downscaling can absorb undesirable artifacts and improve sharpness for final production. Another benefit of larger native resolution if you shoot your subjects a little smaller in the frame is the ability to apply post-process image stabilization, which can be a godsend for many low-budget film producers.

Regardless of what native resolution you may film something at, it all ends up 1080p on BluRay or 1080i/720p on TV.
My Photography
Current Gear: Canon 5D III | Canon 7D | Canon EF 600mm f/4 L IS II | EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS | EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro | 50mm f/1.4
New Gear List: SBIG STT-8300M | Canon EF 300mm f/2.8 L II

moreorless

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2012, 08:39:49 PM »
Well FF for me would be more "wants" than "needs" but generally I'd favour more MP over ISO/FPS/AF however I'd wait to see how the new 5D and D800 actually perform before choosing between them if I did upgrade. If superior low ISO noise performance on the Canon(say 400 and below) and the limations of glass(a 14-24, 24-70 and 70-200 2.8's  setup is most definately out of my price range) ment the difference in resolution was less than the figures suggest I might go for it instead.

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2012, 08:45:16 PM »

too much banding, not enough low ISO DR (about 2.5 stops less usable DR than Nikon, at least)

(more MP would be nice, especially for wildlife)