September 20, 2014, 10:07:52 AM

Author Topic: Will the suggested 5d III specs satisfy your photograpy needs?  (Read 25896 times)

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Will the suggested 5d III specs satisfy your photograpy needs?
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2012, 11:26:52 PM »
I wouldnt worry too much, I am fairly certain canon are watching the D800 and if it is a hit then they will be countering with  there own high mp camera
anyone would think its 2012 and the world was about to end...

oh hang on a minute!....  :o
APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2012, 11:26:52 PM »

birtembuk

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2012, 11:55:36 PM »
Not to me, as this MKIII really looks like the epitome of video-camera that, incidentally can shoot nice stills. MKII has been a revelation to hordes of video-reporters/movie-makers and, imho, MKIII follows suit. I guess it will be big success there. For mere-mortal-photographers like me, at 3500 bucks it's another ball game. I luckily postponed purchase of big ticket lenses before embarking fully into FF digital. Guess I'll have to wait for next releases or seriously contemplate D800 asa reviews come out. Actually, with fast lenses, I'd be happy with clean 800ISO as long as I have hi-res.   

dbduchene

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2012, 12:31:04 AM »
Not to me, as this MKIII really looks like the epitome of video-camera that, incidentally can shoot nice stills. MKII has been a revelation to hordes of video-reporters/movie-makers and, imho, MKIII follows suit. I guess it will be big success there. For mere-mortal-photographers like me, at 3500 bucks it's another ball game. I luckily postponed purchase of big ticket lenses before embarking fully into FF digital. Guess I'll have to wait for next releases or seriously contemplate D800 asa reviews come out. Actually, with fast lenses, I'd be happy with clean 800ISO as long as I have hi-res.   

That is why I was really hopping that the rumor about the split in the line would be true. My DSLRs are just for taking stills I have NEVER USED that video on the 7D. My DSLRs are for shooting the best stills that I can get. When I shoot video I use a nice little sony that is great at home videos. For me and many others that I know we have no concerns at all about video and do not really want to spend a dime on it.

5D, 7D, 5D Mk II, Canon EF 28-300 L, 100-400L, 70-200 F2.8 IS II L, 85 F1.2, 15 MM Fisheye Sigma 50 F1.4, Tamron 17-35 F2.8/4, 28-300 Canon EX 430

briansquibb

« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2012, 12:32:18 AM »
I wont be upgrading my 5D2 to a 5D3 in the short time. The real question is when do I upgrade the 5D2 to a 1DX?

geniusofnati

« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2012, 12:34:14 AM »
If those are the stats that the camera has,there would be no reason to get it,unless there arent any more 5D mkII

scottsdaleriots

« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2012, 01:03:04 AM »
i wanted at least 25MP, i dont care about the high fps rate, but of course canon are catering it to the pro photogs. i would be content with 30AF points, 45 would be nice. 61 is a little too much for me and my needs. a much need significant drop in price for ANY new semi pro/pro camera would be great though!  :D

Gav

« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2012, 01:10:55 AM »
wow this is so funny.

I shoot with a Nikon D3s and D700.  I decided to look at Canon today to see what was happening.

After waiting for ages to see an updated D700...something along the lines of slight increase in ISO and MP, they come up with the D800.  Way too many MP for myself and 95% of the population.  Still it looks like it will sell in droves.....not so much because of the high MP but it is an all round great camera with some great advancements.

Just take a look at nikonrumors.com.  On that site they are moaning cos too many pixels, here you are moaning cos not enough!!!  If the 5DIII has a reasonable increase in ISO which I am sure it must for this price then this would be a magnificent camera which the majority of Nikon users would prefer.

Is it the grass being greener or are we all a bunch of whiners  :P

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2012, 01:10:55 AM »

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2012, 01:18:13 AM »
i wanted at least 25MP, i dont care about the high fps rate, but of course canon are catering it to the pro photogs. i would be content with 30AF points, 45 would be nice. 61 is a little too much for me and my needs. a much need significant drop in price for ANY new semi pro/pro camera would be great though!  :D

number of points is actually largely irrelevent other than AI servo
its how effective the points that are there really are. the 61 pt system is still un tested in the wild so
we still have to see how it performs
I am very happy with the older 45pt 1D system though its nice how you can change how many of those points you can actually select. problem with too many selectable points is it can take ages getting to the point you want to use instead of shooting.
For me if I had 5 selectable points all as accurate as the 5dmk2 center point with 1 in the center and the other 4 at the rule of thirds intersections I would be extremely happy
APS-H Fanboy

Tijn

« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2012, 01:27:07 AM »
The 5D III would very much satisfy my photography wants/needs! However I just upgraded to my second crop camera (60D) so it should be about a year or two at least before I upgrade to full-frame. 25.6k native ISO would be a great improvement from 6.4k (and possibly with two extensions rather than one), the AF would get its massive upgrade, viewfinder upgrade, MP increase, and it'd have the weathersealing I'd want on it.

Only thing is that I'll have to buy both the body and a main zoom lens (i.e. 24-105L or 24-70L or so), which should put the cost pretty close to 4000eu, a year from now.

Blaze

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2012, 01:30:26 AM »
Will the suggested 5d III specs satisfy your photograpy needs?

Too early to tell yet. I'm looking to upgrade to FF from a 7D and the 5DII just doesn't have the speed or AF I need for sports. The revealed specs for the 5D-next look promising but incomplete at the moment. If it's at least 6fps and gets a significant improvement in high-ISO capability and DR in addition to the rumored specs, then it sounds perfect for me. (1080p at 60fps and 720p at 120fps or better would be a lovely bonus.)

Curmudgeon

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2012, 02:23:13 AM »
When I pre-ordered, my 5d2, I told the salesman I hoped it would come in at 15-16 MP, which struck me as offering the best pixel density for 2008 technology. Given the relative strengths of the D700 and the 5d2, that seems like a reasonably astute shot in the dark for someone who isn't particularly tech-savvy. So. That's my credential for saying that something in the 20 MP range (18-22) strikes me as the sweet spot for current technology.  Landscape photography is my first--but not my only--photographic passion, and I don't envy Nikon shooters their 36 megapixels. If the D700 demonstrated anything, it was that 12 very good MPs made a more adaptable camera than 21 good MPs, and the lower resolution was not a significant issue in many real-world shooting situations. (Even today, art directors who demand 30+ MP are indulging the fantasy that they work for a high end art publisher. There are no newspapers and almost no magazines that print to standards near that.)

MY personal photographic road map in retirement is to shoot enough local school events to provide the money and equipment to travel to the world's most exotic locations and become fabulously rich and famous for my calendar art. For that I'll need a camera that can handle the ISOs demanded in the dim, grim flourescent light of the middle school gyms and cafeterias where you find eighth grade basketball, fifth grade talent shows and Daddy-daughter dances. Outdoors, it won't have to have the frame rate of the cameras on the side lines at the Super Bowl or the Olympics, but it will need to be reasonably fast, with a high rate of AI servo hits for fast-moving sports like lacrosse, football and soccer. When I take it to the Tetons during the summer, it will have to have all the accurate color rendition,  resolution and dynamic range you can squeeze out of ~20 MP. Oh yeah, and a 100% OVF with which to see it all.

In all seriousness, the speculative specs for the 5d3  suit my generalist purposes to a T.

That said, I haven't made up my mind yet about upgrading. I share one sentiment with several other contributors to this thread: what's currently competing for the dollars in my photographic budget is Canon's own upgraded lenses. I'll also have reservations if Canon prices the 5d3 $500 above the D800, and does so not because of demonstrably superior technology but in the belief that videographers locked in by the 5d2 will provide a profitable sales volume in spite of the price differential.

My decision about upgrading--like that of Neuroanatomist--will depend upon an evaluation of the full spec list--and probably a handful of reviews. (My options, however, will not include the 1DX, and I don't plan to pre-order as I did with the 5d2.)

There is one feature, however,  that could make me take the plunge blindly. The search engine for this site shows surprisingly little on the subject, and I hope to open a thread on the matter in the next few days. Suppose Canon changed absolutely nothing else about the 5d2--including the much-maligned autofocus. If the 5d3 featured an honest (RAW) two-stop increase in dynamic range, I'd rob a bank yesterday to come up with the MSRP.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 02:48:18 AM by Curmudgeon »

Mark D5 TEAM II

• 1D X
  • Proud N0ink 0wnz0r / crApple iFruitcake H4t3r
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2012, 02:53:16 AM »
Yes, this is my ideal 5D3 spec list. The D700 to the 1DX's D3. Canon knows the two 5D2 differentiating features that helped it sell (more MP & HD video), are now "pedestrian" features and so they must make more effort this time around to justify the upgrade and higher MSRP.
Nikon NSF16 5-Leaf Dual-Blade Industrial Fan ¦ Nikon NTMFI-H1 Dry Heavy Flat Iron ¦ Nikon Tough Mama NTMRC1-2S Rice Cooker “Limited Edition” ¦ Nikon Tough Mama NTMJK18-S Stainless Electric Kettle Plate Type ¦ Nikon NHT 2-in-1 Curling Iron & Straightener in One ¦ Nikon N4004s Decision Master System™

D.Sim

« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2012, 03:03:25 AM »
I wouldnt worry too much, I am fairly certain canon are watching the D800 and if it is a hit then they will be countering with  there own high mp camera
anyone would think its 2012 and the world was about to end...

oh hang on a minute!....  :o

I see what you did there...   >:(

Gotta love aussie humour though  ;D ;D  ;D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2012, 03:03:25 AM »

pedro

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2012, 03:19:17 AM »
With these rumored specs, given the possibility of 1024 k it is a dream cam for me. Not being a pro, it will be "new"  enough for ages...as my preferencies are low light without flash. My current 30D does quite well up to 1600 or 3200 exposed well to the right. So not this year but maybe next fall I'll return to FF having shot a Contax 139 Quartz back in the day (1982).
30D, EF-S 10-22/ 5DIII, 16-35 F/2.8 L USM II, 28 F/2.8, 50 F/1.4, 85 F/1.8, 70-200 F/2.8 classic,
join me at http://www.flickr.com/groups/insane_isos/

xROELOFx

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Fotograaf Alkmaar
« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2012, 03:37:55 AM »
I, for one, wish the 5d III had higher MP. I feel like the IQ will essentially be the same as the current 5dII that I own. ISO performance will be certainly better, and AF will kick serious but. However, it is a little curious to me that the MP as essentially the same. What I am saying, simply, is that the 1d3 and the 5dIII may be close to the SAME CAMERA!! Think about AF, frames per second, and MP. Then it becomes more curious.

Maybe I will keep my 5dII, which I am content with, and invest in new glass to be released soon. This may be my best bet. I just hate to keep a depreciating asset when I could afford to sell  and upgrade for about $1,000--the price I would get for my D7000 that I never shoot. AF is not important to me because I do 90% landscapes. But I will withhold judgement until the "Official" release. We could be in for a huge surprise.
actually, to me this seems pretty logical. when the 1D and 1Ds where merged, the new 5D could end up to be the unofficial replacement of the 1Ds line. and like suggested in other topcis, perhaps canon will split the 5D line in the new camera mentioned and a new high MP monster.

but i guess we just have to wait a little longer. time will tell :)
1DX | 1D4 | EF 24-70mm f/2.8L | EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro | EF 500mm f/4L IS | Extender EF 1.4x III | Extender EF 2.0x III | Speedlite 580EX II | Speedlite 430EX II | Macro Twin Lite MT-24 EX

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2012, 03:37:55 AM »