August 01, 2014, 09:33:50 PM

Author Topic: Will the suggested 5d III specs satisfy your photograpy needs?  (Read 25540 times)

RedEye

Re: Will the suggested 5d III specs satisfy your photograpy needs?
« Reply #60 on: February 23, 2012, 08:30:03 AM »
No. Human's nature makes us never satisfied enough.

Well said.  When I got a t2i as an upgrate from a very very old rebel, I ran around telling everyone how sharp and clear it was, circa 2010 A.D. 

Took a trip to HI and realized how not so clear the landscapes were, so I purchased a 135L lens, and then realized how not so dynamica and not so clear the camera has somehow become over 15 months... and then I began checking this site in April 2011 once a week or so.  By october I was hitting the site once a day, and now once an hour.  I'm pretty sure that I'm either going to CAA (Canon Abusers Anom...) or simply passing out by the end of the week! 

And then comes Ash Wednesday, Lent, and somehow an amazing ability to slow everything down and recompose why I like photos.... beauty, story telling, freezing a once-in-history spot for maybe no purpose other than the camera focus causes my own human person to re-focus on the sorroundings, environment, people - to see the lighting, shadows, lines. 

After this new camera comes out, I'm going to become a painter.  Yes, paint.  We'll see how well that goes without product releases :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #60 on: February 23, 2012, 08:30:03 AM »

Neeneko

« Reply #61 on: February 23, 2012, 08:38:06 AM »
Not really.  I don't need high FPS, I don't need autofocus, I don't need video, and while a dual CF might be useful, this 'we can take both media types' just wastes room.

I think the main thing these specs will do for me is hopefully flood the used market with lower cost bodies that are closer to what I need ^_^ though a FF MP monster would have been nice.

silat shooters

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 23, 2012, 08:50:19 AM »

Well said.  When I got a t2i as an upgrate from a very very old rebel, I ran around telling everyone how sharp and clear it was, circa 2010 A.D. 

Took a trip to HI and realized how not so clear the landscapes were, so I purchased a 135L lens, and then realized how not so dynamica and not so clear the camera has somehow become over 15 months... and then I began checking this site in April 2011 once a week or so.  By october I was hitting the site once a day, and now once an hour.  I'm pretty sure that I'm either going to CAA (Canon Abusers Anom...) or simply passing out by the end of the week! 

And then comes Ash Wednesday, Lent, and somehow an amazing ability to slow everything down and recompose why I like photos.... beauty, story telling, freezing a once-in-history spot for maybe no purpose other than the camera focus causes my own human person to re-focus on the sorroundings, environment, people - to see the lighting, shadows, lines. 

After this new camera comes out, I'm going to become a painter.  Yes, paint.  We'll see how well that goes without product releases :)

Fun read!  Thanks for the laughs!  I think the new specs would clearly fill my needs especially if the ISO 6400 is noticeably cleaner.  That and the improved focusing would be enough.  But as mentioned, human nature is hard to fight and now knowing that there is a camera out there for less money with higher spec would have me pausing on hitting "Add to Cart" on the this new 'suggested 5D III spec body'.

sweetcancer

« Reply #63 on: February 23, 2012, 09:02:01 AM »
I am very happy with the specs MP and af wise. 22mp is more than enough, and 61 af points is also more than enough. I do hope the af points to be spred out a little more though. Mostly i'm conserned about DR performance. I need at least 13 stops of dynamic range. If that requirement is not met, i see no point to upgrade from my trusty 5d mark II.

kubelik

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • a teatray in the sky
« Reply #64 on: February 23, 2012, 09:27:19 AM »
the rumored specs are everything I hoped for in a 5D Mark II successor.  I could shoot this camera for a very, very long time, and not worry at all about what comes after.

kennykodak

• Rebel T5i
  • M.Photog.MEI.Cr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 23, 2012, 09:30:54 AM »
i did a group shot of executives (125) looking on them standing on a deco staircase.  i shot a few with a Hasselblad 39MP and some with a Canon 5D2.  the client selected the 5D2 image for distribution.  the 22MP Canon was tight and 125 smiling faces were tack.  i have a 1Dx on order and will most likely update my 5D2 with the 5d?.  and those of you considering medium format, consider converting raw compressed images into raw images to convert again to a usable format. fast computer and a lot of storage...

bdeutsch

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
    • Gotham Family Photos
« Reply #66 on: February 23, 2012, 10:07:50 AM »
I could shoot this camera for a very, very long time, and not worry at all about what comes after.

If only that were true...if you're any of the rest of us who religiously think about the rumor, you'll be worried about what comes after right away. That being said, I'm still shooting with my trusty 5d which I got just as soon after its release as I could.

Actor Headshots NYC | Gotham Family Photos | NY Wedding Photos

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #66 on: February 23, 2012, 10:07:50 AM »

jm345

« Reply #67 on: February 23, 2012, 10:13:40 AM »
The key for me to replace my 5DII will be if the 5DIII has extended the dynamic range - usable higher ISOs. I already have an acceptable AF system and FPS, when I need it, with my 7D.

frisk

« Reply #68 on: February 23, 2012, 11:11:26 AM »
I intended to upgrade from my 40D this year.   The 7D was not the right upgrade for me - I wanted a FF camera.  The 5D2 was not quite right for me either - I was not too impressed with the AF system, and it was a bit too slow.

So, yes, if the specs are accurate, it is just what I was looking for ...and if the high-ISO performance is improved beyond what the 5D2 offered, that will will be a significant extra bonus for me.

In my case, the answer to the question is a very definite 'yes'.

RobS

« Reply #69 on: February 23, 2012, 11:52:59 AM »
with this specs coming, canon has no body at all for my needs. So i will saving some month for MF or switch to nikon.
There is no camera from canon at this date which will fit for studio phtographers. Especially when Nikon has a D800.
Sure 22MP are enough but for composing there is no space to crop, and with MP over 30 there is plenty space to crop and even size down to a needed size to get the needed IQ

so i'm pretty sure i will leave the canon camp

marekjoz

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • marekjoz @flickr
« Reply #70 on: February 23, 2012, 11:58:06 AM »
with this specs coming, canon has no body at all for my needs. So i will saving some month for MF or switch to nikon.
There is no camera from canon at this date which will fit for studio phtographers. Especially when Nikon has a D800.
Sure 22MP are enough but for composing there is no space to crop, and with MP over 30 there is plenty space to crop and even size down to a needed size to get the needed IQ

so i'm pretty sure i will leave the canon camp

What will you be selling?
flickr | youtube | 5D2, 50 F/1.4, 24-105 F/4 L IS, 300 F/4 L IS, x1.4 II

jrista

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #71 on: February 23, 2012, 12:00:32 PM »

I would call it Human Choice, rather than nature, that makes us never satisfied enough. You can always choose to be satisfied with what you have, particularly these days when just about everything is way beyond good enough for the vast majority of situations. I "want" a 5D III, but I AM satisfied with my 7D...more than that, as it offers me things the 5D, being full frame, cannot. Its not the best from an IQ standpoint, but it is acceptable. Its not the fastest from a framerate standpoint, but it is acceptable. Its not the best from a features standpoint, but it is acceptable.

Being satisfied is about choosing. Wanting is about human nature. We'll always WANT more, but we can concurrently be SATISFIED about what we have now. I would also argue that if we ARE satisfied with what we have, we'll enjoy all the more what we have the gear for in the first place: our photography. ;-)
My Photography
Current Gear: Canon 5D III | Canon 7D | Canon EF 600mm f/4 L IS II | EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS | EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro | 50mm f/1.4
New Gear List: SBIG STT-8300M | Canon EF 300mm f/2.8 L II

HurtinMinorKey

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • carolineculler.com
« Reply #72 on: February 23, 2012, 12:05:57 PM »
Do you think the dual CF card slots will mean a better(higher bit rate) video codec?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #72 on: February 23, 2012, 12:05:57 PM »

marekjoz

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • marekjoz @flickr
« Reply #73 on: February 23, 2012, 12:14:11 PM »

I would call it Human Choice, rather than nature, that makes us never satisfied enough. You can always choose to be satisfied with what you have, particularly these days when just about everything is way beyond good enough for the vast majority of situations. I "want" a 5D III, but I AM satisfied with my 7D...more than that, as it offers me things the 5D, being full frame, cannot. Its not the best from an IQ standpoint, but it is acceptable. Its not the fastest from a framerate standpoint, but it is acceptable. Its not the best from a features standpoint, but it is acceptable.

Being satisfied is about choosing. Wanting is about human nature. We'll always WANT more, but we can concurrently be SATISFIED about what we have now. I would also argue that if we ARE satisfied with what we have, we'll enjoy all the more what we have the gear for in the first place: our photography. ;-)

You gave me great arguing opportunity:
1. Am I satisfied with my photography skills? Actually No, but I can choose to BE :)
2. Am I satisfied with my photos? Hmm Yes, I choose YES :)
3. Do I want them to be better? No - what for if I've already chosen them to be great :)
Just joking... (but being satisfied about my choice I know I'm right again :) )
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 12:18:19 PM by marekjoz »
flickr | youtube | 5D2, 50 F/1.4, 24-105 F/4 L IS, 300 F/4 L IS, x1.4 II

pedro

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 23, 2012, 12:15:20 PM »
the rumored specs are everything I hoped for in a 5D Mark II successor.  I could shoot this camera for a very, very long time, and not worry at all about what comes after.

same with me. I will upgrade back to FF. Had a Contax back in the film days. Shooting a 30D for about 5 years as an amateur there will be plenty of camera to explore and to work at my learning curve with for a decade I guess... 8)
30D, EF-S 10-22/ 5DIII, 16-35 F/2.8 L USM II, 28 F/2.8, 50 F/1.4, 85 F/1.8, 70-200 F/2.8 classic,
join me at http://www.flickr.com/groups/insane_isos/

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #74 on: February 23, 2012, 12:15:20 PM »