April 23, 2014, 05:31:20 AM

Author Topic: Will the suggested 5d III specs satisfy your photograpy needs?  (Read 24043 times)

Velo Steve

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
    • Photos on Flickr (mostly removed when the changed the site)
Re: Will the suggested 5d III specs satisfy your photograpy needs?
« Reply #120 on: February 24, 2012, 11:21:46 PM »
A far as they go, the rumored specs look good.  On the other hand, most of what I care about isn't addressed there.

My biggest need is better ISO performance for shooting wildlife in shaded or dawn/dusk situations.  I'm not looking for "pretty good" noise at 12,800.  Really great quality at 1600 would be more valuable.  That will determine whether I buy this camera, and I probably will.

I also do 30 second exposures of the night sky with some frequency.  If this camera gets rid of the many unnaturally reddish pixels or blotches I get in those shots, it would be really nice.

Sometimes I shoot sports, especially cycling.  Really good autofocus on subjects moving toward the camera would be valuable.  Extra points if it's available before the Amgen Tour of California in mid May.

The third big item for me (also not described in the rumored specs) is dynamic range.  That white bird in the sun on a background of dark foliage could look a lot better with another stop or two of range.  Or the cyclist in the sun with his face shaded by a helmet.  Or the bride in white and groom in black, for you wedding photographers.

I really expect to want this camera, but I'll take a good look at tests and reviews before I place my order.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #120 on: February 24, 2012, 11:21:46 PM »

Chuck Alaimo

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Chuck Alaimo Photography
« Reply #121 on: February 25, 2012, 12:32:04 PM »
Wow, I had no idea people actually cared about megapixels.  Probably all of the photographers who love megapixels switched to Canon and all who hated switched to Nikon and now the companies are flip flopping.

i think no one cared about MP until nikon released the d800...

We'll see what happens, I think the d800 may be trying to please too many people - the reaction I'm hearing varies from love it and can't wait to, I would love it if i shot nothing but lanscapes.  And the reverse is now true with canon (that is if these specs are spot on).  This camera will fill the needs and then some of the vast majority of weddings photogs - and I believe that was the bulk of the market for the 5D series.  If it ends up being priced right (and available by/before summer), there will be thousands shot on the mkiii.

Side bar note, this camera is not for the hobbyist/enthusiast - what I mean by that is this - without real needs, and most likely, not a budget minded as a pro would be - the hoobyist/enthusiast will be the ones who jump ship to nikon.  And the silly thing is, many of them have probably already jumped from nikon to canon.  So, from a marketing perspective, why would you design a pro body to satisfy the so called needs of the finicky enthusiasts?  Because they have no actual needs, just wants, they are the hardest to please and the most likely to have disposable $$$ - and therefore the most likely to jump ship.  If canon ends up making this the 5D, and the only body in that series they release this year, then watch all those who jumped ship do it again next year...

2 things I am thinking may happen ---

many talk about the crop feature of the d800, and the high MP of that body allows for major cropping.  Maybe, just maybe, that's where we'll see the new canon crop come in...picture this:

A 7DII/7Dx (or maybe even rename to a 6D:

body would be pro, canon needs a pro crop (enough of this only the 1D series is all thats pro, so it would be a good move to counter nikon who boasts a pro crop)
so picture a crop body, boasting lets say, 28-30MP?  1.6 crop and 28MP would kill any argument of the wildlife togs that need extra reach and crop.  Throw in a decent AF, decent ISO and some other bells and whistles and you have an amazing $2000 pro crop body that even FF shooters may consider as a back up/special needs cam.

Do that and toss in a 40+MP full frame (which who knows, this we may see this year) and you put nikon in a real pickle (and who knows, maybe nikon  has something in their pipeline that better suits the needs of wedding togs)...

All in all, I am glad nikon did this.  If canon was the only real player, canon could just sit back.  With nikon putting out cutting edge, it forces canon to work harder, and that benefits all of us!
Owns 5Dmkiii, 16-35mm, 24-70mm, 70-200mm, 50mm 1.4, 85 mm 1.8, 580 EXII, 2 430 EX's

KeithR

« Reply #122 on: February 29, 2012, 04:41:22 AM »

Nope.

Some of us have been intrigued about the prospects of real high MP counts ever since Canon broke the news of their 50mp and 120mp prototype sensors, long before the D800 emerged.

jrista

• 1D X
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #123 on: February 29, 2012, 03:26:39 PM »

Nope.

Some of us have been intrigued about the prospects of real high MP counts ever since Canon broke the news of their 50mp and 120mp prototype sensors, long before the D800 emerged.

Absolutely. The 120mp APS-H was probably one of the most intriguing pieces of news I heard from Canon the last couple years. (Its obviously a bit impractical right now, as few lenses can resolve 220lp/mm even at their best aperture (which is often lower than necessary to achieve that anyway), but its still intriguing to know its possible, and that producing something more realistic, such as a 47mp FF sensor, is within the realm of practical.)
My Photography
Current Gear: Canon 7D | Canon EF 600mm f/4 L IS II | EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS | EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro | 50mm f/1.4
New Gear List: Canon 5D III/7D II | Canon EF 300mm f/2.8 L II

AprilForever

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • AprilForever.com
« Reply #124 on: February 29, 2012, 04:24:48 PM »
Wow, I had no idea people actually cared about megapixels.  Probably all of the photographers who love megapixels switched to Canon and all who hated switched to Nikon and now the companies are flip flopping.
A 7DII/7Dx (or maybe even rename to a 6D:

body would be pro, canon needs a pro crop (enough of this only the 1D series is all thats pro, so it would be a good move to counter nikon who boasts a pro crop)
so picture a crop body, boasting lets say, 28-30MP?  1.6 crop and 28MP would kill any argument of the wildlife togs that need extra reach and crop.  Throw in a decent AF, decent ISO and some other bells and whistles and you have an amazing $2000 pro crop body that even FF shooters may consider as a back up/special needs cam.

Do that and toss in a 40+MP full frame (which who knows, this we may see this year) and you put nikon in a real pickle (and who knows, maybe nikon  has something in their pipeline that better suits the needs of wedding togs)...

All in all, I am glad nikon did this.  If canon was the only real player, canon could just sit back.  With nikon putting out cutting edge, it forces canon to work harder, and that benefits all of us!

This would satisfy my photography needs!!! And, 3000 I would pay for it! +1
What is truth?

Camerajah

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 29, 2012, 04:56:38 PM »
Once the ISO 12,800 is fairly clean and its closer to 3 gran with good focusing points then I may bite and I am guided by the eyecup ie must be the same as the 7D & the 1 Series.

Had a dream where the mRAW was 12mp.
Canon bodies and not enough L lenses

randplaty

« Reply #126 on: February 29, 2012, 09:59:21 PM »

Nope.

Absolutely. The 120mp APS-H was probably one of the most intriguing pieces of news I heard from Canon the last couple years. (Its obviously a bit impractical right now, as few lenses can resolve 220lp/mm even at their best aperture (which is often lower than necessary to achieve that anyway), but its still intriguing to know its possible, and that producing something more realistic, such as a 47mp FF sensor, is within the realm of practical.)

So megapixels are largely for the cropping ability?  How many people out there do this?  I would think that unless you're shooting at 400mm to 600mm consistently, which would not be the majority of photographers, you could always just get a longer lens.   

I currently shoot sRAW and have taken less than 50 clicks using the full raw on the 5D Mark II as opposed to over 100k clicks using sRAW.  I personally would much rather have DR and other features than mpix.  Mpix is probably close to last on priority list.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 10:05:07 PM by randplaty »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #126 on: February 29, 2012, 09:59:21 PM »

RedEye

« Reply #127 on: February 29, 2012, 11:04:43 PM »

Nope.

It does seem that if they were in full swing into releasing new leses, that there ought to be some underlying cause for this.

jrista

• 1D X
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #128 on: February 29, 2012, 11:24:40 PM »

Nope.

So megapixels are largely for the cropping ability?  How many people out there do this?  I would think that unless you're shooting at 400mm to 600mm consistently, which would not be the majority of photographers, you could always just get a longer lens.   

I currently shoot sRAW and have taken less than 50 clicks using the full raw on the 5D Mark II as opposed to over 100k clicks using sRAW.  I personally would much rather have DR and other features than mpix.  Mpix is probably close to last on priority list.

Beyond 400mm f/5.6, "longer"...or for that matter faster...generally means "to the tune of an ungodly price". The 300/2.8 L, 400/4 DO, 500/5 L, 600/4 L, even the 200-400/4 L all cost WAY beyond what the average or even somewhat above average person can afford most of the time (barring winning the lottery, hefty inheritance, literally struck gold, etc...you know, those kinds of things that happen to ordinary people every day.) So sure, you could always get a longer lens...if the lens itself is within reach.

As for features, I'm in the camp that believes everything can be improved in a well-rounded way, rather than simply focusing on just one thing...such as just high ISO, or just more megapixels. We already have a 116lp/mm resolution 18mp APS-C sensor, and we know how well it performs with three-year old fabrication techniques and image processors. That is equivalent to a 47mp FF sensor, however a 47mp sensor released today that had exactly the same pixel pitch (density) as a three-year old 18mp APS-C sensor... It would have the benefit of three additional years of research into improving quantum efficiency, reducing read and thermal noise, improved manufacturing techniques that produce more effective microlensing, backlit rather than frontlit sensor fabrication, etc. etc.

Sure, I want better DR. I think we can get about two full stops of better DR, even on a 47mp FF sensor. I think we could have ISO 12800, possibly even ISO 25600 if you were willing to spend the money, along with a high 7-9fps frame rate, a decent AF system, AND better DR, all in one camera. Why? Well, the D800 performs pretty damn well on the DR and noise front for being a 36.3mp sensor, thanks to Sony Exmor technology which drastically lowers read noise (among other things). Because with an improved noise floor comes direct improvements in maximum ISO, by up to a stop. Improved quantum efficiency gained by say using a backlit sensor and/or improved microlensing would leave additional headroom, allowing for further gains on the maximum ISO front. I believe a 47mp full-frame sensor is possible because we already have numerous Canon cameras, from entry level to pro grade, using 18mp APS-C sensors that use the exact same pixel pitch, and (excluding low ISO read noise, which could be corrected at least by the Sony approach of embedding hyper parallelized ADC on-sensor) they perform extremely well.

I'd love to have ALL of that above right now, but I'd be happy to start with less than that and save myself some cache. Start with 32mp, maybe a stop improvement in DR, and one stop improvement to native high ISO (12800), coupled with a nice 61pt/21ct AF system, 100k RGB metering sensor, and I'll gladly spend $3500....in a heartbeat. I'd also gladly spend another $3500 three years down the road for that full 47mp, another extra stop in DR and maybe another extra stop of high ISO (and if thats not possible, well, we'll chalk it up to physical limitations, as that would most likely be why). I'd be quite comfortable with a 47mp, ISO 12800 (native), 61/21pt AF system that does at least 7fps for a LONG time. Even stuck with a 400mm lens, I'd at least have cropping power...and even the grand total of $7000 over three years is still half the $14000 price tag for a single, monstrous 600mm f/4 L series lens (something I wouldn't even consider myself fully qualified to use until I've had another several years of practice anyway.) (Do I think the price is too optimistic...maybe...but the D800 seems to be going for $3000, and its most of the way there already...so I don't think its unrealistic.)
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 11:26:24 PM by jrista »
My Photography
Current Gear: Canon 7D | Canon EF 600mm f/4 L IS II | EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS | EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro | 50mm f/1.4
New Gear List: Canon 5D III/7D II | Canon EF 300mm f/2.8 L II

MichaelB4U

« Reply #129 on: February 29, 2012, 11:53:53 PM »
Coming from the 5DMark 11 & ready to upgrade I have a lot of interest in both the Nikon 800 and the Canon 1DX even though its a completely different beast. Like everyone I have heard the rumours of a 22 MP 5D Mark111 spec up but doubt it will do enough at that level to gain my interest. I will be watching but more keen for a quality 36 MP model. Bring it on Canon Nikon has made the challenge!

Circles

« Reply #130 on: March 01, 2012, 12:07:44 AM »
I think so.

randplaty

« Reply #131 on: March 01, 2012, 12:25:12 AM »
Beyond 400mm f/5.6, "longer"...or for that matter faster...generally means "to the tune of an ungodly price". The 300/2.8 L, 400/4 DO, 500/5 L, 600/4 L, even the 200-400/4 L all cost WAY beyond what the average or even somewhat above average person can afford most of the time (barring winning the lottery, hefty inheritance, literally struck gold, etc...you know, those kinds of things that happen to ordinary people every day.) So sure, you could always get a longer lens...if the lens itself is within reach.

As for features, I'm in the camp that believes everything can be improved in a well-rounded way, rather than simply focusing on just one thing...such as just high ISO, or just more megapixels. We already have a 116lp/mm resolution 18mp APS-C sensor, and we know how well it performs with three-year old fabrication techniques and image processors. That is equivalent to a 47mp FF sensor, however a 47mp sensor released today that had exactly the same pixel pitch (density) as a three-year old 18mp APS-C sensor... It would have the benefit of three additional years of research into improving quantum efficiency, reducing read and thermal noise, improved manufacturing techniques that produce more effective microlensing, backlit rather than frontlit sensor fabrication, etc. etc.

Sure, I want better DR. I think we can get about two full stops of better DR, even on a 47mp FF sensor. I think we could have ISO 12800, possibly even ISO 25600 if you were willing to spend the money, along with a high 7-9fps frame rate, a decent AF system, AND better DR, all in one camera. Why? Well, the D800 performs pretty damn well on the DR and noise front for being a 36.3mp sensor, thanks to Sony Exmor technology which drastically lowers read noise (among other things). Because with an improved noise floor comes direct improvements in maximum ISO, by up to a stop. Improved quantum efficiency gained by say using a backlit sensor and/or improved microlensing would leave additional headroom, allowing for further gains on the maximum ISO front. I believe a 47mp full-frame sensor is possible because we already have numerous Canon cameras, from entry level to pro grade, using 18mp APS-C sensors that use the exact same pixel pitch, and (excluding low ISO read noise, which could be corrected at least by the Sony approach of embedding hyper parallelized ADC on-sensor) they perform extremely well.

I'd love to have ALL of that above right now, but I'd be happy to start with less than that and save myself some cache. Start with 32mp, maybe a stop improvement in DR, and one stop improvement to native high ISO (12800), coupled with a nice 61pt/21ct AF system, 100k RGB metering sensor, and I'll gladly spend $3500....in a heartbeat. I'd also gladly spend another $3500 three years down the road for that full 47mp, another extra stop in DR and maybe another extra stop of high ISO (and if thats not possible, well, we'll chalk it up to physical limitations, as that would most likely be why). I'd be quite comfortable with a 47mp, ISO 12800 (native), 61/21pt AF system that does at least 7fps for a LONG time. Even stuck with a 400mm lens, I'd at least have cropping power...and even the grand total of $7000 over three years is still half the $14000 price tag for a single, monstrous 600mm f/4 L series lens (something I wouldn't even consider myself fully qualified to use until I've had another several years of practice anyway.) (Do I think the price is too optimistic...maybe...but the D800 seems to be going for $3000, and its most of the way there already...so I don't think its unrealistic.)

Hmmm, so you do shoot with a 400mm lens.  That's the biggest difference I suppose.  I shoot with a 200mm lens max and that's because we shoot different subjects.  I understand you think we can have a well rounded camera that gives you all of the features, but if you couldn't, which features would you sacrifice first?  Which would be most important to you?

wickidwombat

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 01, 2012, 12:29:04 AM »

Nope.

If a 47MP FF had the same IQ as the 18MP APS-C I would be a sad panda (yes i will not only change brand of camera but species too  ;D )
APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #132 on: March 01, 2012, 12:29:04 AM »

hummingbird

« Reply #133 on: March 01, 2012, 01:06:10 AM »
I really think so.  I decided not to buy the markII, so whatever comes will be a great upgrade for me.

torger

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 01, 2012, 01:36:14 AM »
I have the 5D mark II, and I don't think the mark III will provide anything significant for my needs. It's probably a nice all-around camera, but no features I really need as a landscape photographer.

Had it been higher resolution or significantly higher DR at base ISO (yet to see!) I would have been interested.

I'll wait and see if Canon will do any high resolution camera. The lack of D800E response have actually made me interested in digital medium format. With second hand digital back it is less expensive than one may think, still a lot more expensive than 35mm DSLRs though.

But say if Canon won't make a high resolution camera in the coming three year period, I may just be better off halting my Canon system investment, sell off some of it I already have and get a medium format tech camera for my landscape work. "Switching" to Nikon does not seem as a good idea, since I'm a tilt-shift lens user. Nikon's lenses are not too impressive. Canon has the TS-E 24mm II. I'd like to see an upgrade of the 45 and 90 mm real soon though.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 01:47:02 AM by torger »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #134 on: March 01, 2012, 01:36:14 AM »