April 17, 2014, 10:25:08 AM

Author Topic: what is the most contrasty lens you have used????  (Read 3699 times)

rhysgray

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
what is the most contrasty lens you have used????
« on: February 23, 2012, 07:24:52 AM »
Hi, i have a 40d with a 15-85.
i just bought a 50/1.4 and love the increase in contrast... how much better are the L - series for contrast and how good does it get????

canon rumors FORUM

what is the most contrasty lens you have used????
« on: February 23, 2012, 07:24:52 AM »

rhysgray

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
Re: what is the most contrasty lens you have used????
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 07:27:09 AM »
does the 50/1.2 have even more contrast?

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 08:30:33 AM »
Try the Asahi Pentax Takumar 50mm f/1.4, m42 mount plus cheap adapter, less than $100 shipped from ebay.

There's a lens element that's radioactive, as it decays the lens goes yellowish, you can fix it by sticking it in the sun for a few days (UV fixes it, a UV tube would be better). Or just leave it a bit yellowish. Best colours and contrast of any of my lenses (past f/2, f/1.4 is a bit washy and there's no stop in between). Sharpness @ f/2 beats my niftyfifty @ f/4 too.
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

ejenner

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 10:11:39 AM »
It might be more the fast primes than L lenses.  I have TS-E 17mm, 17-40, 24-105, 70-200 f4IS and sig 85 1.4.

The sigma is the most contrasty lens I have by far.  In fact I was dubious about this 'contrast' property of lenses until I got this, but I tent to add less contrast in PP with this lens.

I used the other L's except the 17mm along side the kit 18-55 with my T1i and never noticed a substantial difference in contrast (just general IQ and flare resistance), although they probably do have better contrast.

drummstikk

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 10:29:54 AM »
Nikkor 105mm f/2.5.

WHOA!! Who threw that?!?!?!?
"Focused. Or focused not. There is no 'almost.'"

--Yoda (paraphrase)

AmbientLight

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 10:48:23 AM »
@rhysgray:

Actually I am not sure about the contrast being better in L lenses like the 50mm f1.2. The most important difference between the 50mm f1.2 L compared to the non-L 50mm lenses appear to me to be both bokeh quality and colour rendition. I do not think contrast is such big factor, except if colour intensity is what you look for.

Can anyone provide more insight here? I am wondering about that contrast issue a little bit.

sheedoe

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 11:35:26 AM »
^ I have found the 1.4 to have slightly more contrast and color saturation. Here's some sample shots I took to campare:

http://s460.photobucket.com/albums/qq328/sheedoe/50mm%20comparison/
Canon- 5D Mark II x2 | 16-35mm f/2.8L II | 24-70mm f/2.8L II | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 24mm f/1.4L II | 35mm f/1.4L | 50mm f/1.2L | 85mm f/1.2L II |100mm f/2.8L IS Macro | 600EX-RT x3 | 580EX II | 4x PCB Einstein | EOS M w/22mm Lens

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 11:35:26 AM »

hippoeater

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 12:11:37 PM »
Maybe it's just me but it seems hard to tell with your comparison photo's of those two lenses - they look like the lighting is different in both environments and it's skewing the colors.
RX-1

dr croubie

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 04:26:47 PM »
Try the Asahi Pentax Takumar 50mm f/1.4, m42 mount plus cheap adapter, less than $100 shipped from ebay.

Just thought I'd share an example, didn't have any on my work pc yesterday.

iso100, 1/800s, so probably about f/2.0 or so, bit of a fill flash. DPP processed with minimal adjustments, curve looks almost like a 45 degree line. only +1 Saturation, this lens has so good colours that too much sat makes it look too fake.
Gear Photos

D.Sim

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2012, 10:05:37 PM »

There's a lens element that's radioactive, as it decays the lens goes yellowish, you can fix it by sticking it in the sun for a few days (UV fixes it, a UV tube would be better). Or just leave it a bit yellowish. Best colours and contrast of any of my lenses (past f/2, f/1.4 is a bit washy and there's no stop in between). Sharpness @ f/2 beats my niftyfifty @ f/4 too.

A radioactive lens? Just what are they doing with it O.O
I'd assume you'd need to take off your UV filter when you leave it out though?  8)

jokes.

I love the contrast on my 135. Then again its the main prime I use, but thats just me I guess...

PCM-Madison

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2012, 11:22:18 PM »
By my count, I have used (borrowed, rented, owned) 18 EFS and EF compatible lenses including 6 L-series lenses. I do own the 50mm f1.4 canon lens. The lenses that I have found to be superior in contrast to the 50mm f1.4 include the macro lenses I have used (EFS 60mm, EF 100mm f2.8, and EF 100mm F2.8L), and the best IQ Canon lens I have used which is the 200mm F2.8L mk1. My copy of this lens has clearly superior contrast and sharpness on my cameras (30D, 60D, 5D) to all other Canon-compatible lenses I have used (I have never used any of the big white primes).

Joellll

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2012, 04:52:57 AM »

A radioactive lens? Just what are they doing with it O.O
I'd assume you'd need to take off your UV filter when you leave it out though?  8)

jokes.

I love the contrast on my 135. Then again its the main prime I use, but thats just me I guess...
Apparently lens coating wasn't very advanced back then and they had to use thorium, a radioactive element to coat the lens.

I was in a tight budget (teenager here :D) and I wanted a fast 50mm lens. I already own MF lenses so I didn't mind getting a film era lens, stumbled across the Nikkor 50/1.4 and the Takumar, ultimately ended up with the latter because of the beautiful golden tint, caused by the decay of Thorium.

For half the price and sharper results than the EF counterpart, I have zero complaints on this lens.

dr croubie

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2012, 05:26:04 AM »
For half the price and sharper results than the EF counterpart, I have zero complaints on this lens.

My only complaint about the Takumar is that now that i've got the FL 55 f/1.2 and EdMika adapter, which one do I use?
Gear Photos

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2012, 05:26:04 AM »

D.Sim

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2012, 06:19:51 AM »

My only complaint about the Takumar is that now that i've got the FL 55 f/1.2 and EdMika adapter, which one do I use?

you could use the takumar and sell that FL to me  ;)

Looking for one now that ships to where I stay... =(

mws

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2012, 07:29:11 AM »
Just got my Takumar 50 MM from Ebay yesterday, now I just have to wait for the adapter to show up from China.

Now I'm suddenly interested in all sorts of Jupiter and Helios lenses, there goes the money I've been saving for the 5D MK III......

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2012, 07:29:11 AM »