April 19, 2014, 07:24:52 PM

Author Topic: No RC-6 love for 1 series bodies?  (Read 4317 times)

Z

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
No RC-6 love for 1 series bodies?
« on: February 23, 2012, 09:52:24 AM »
Does anyone have any ideas why compatibility with the infrared RC-6 remote was omitted from previous 1 series bodies?  Is the RC-6 seen as an "unprofessional" solution? Line of sight can be a pain, but this little wireless tool is so handy when you don't have time to set up a cable release.

Who knows, maybe Canon have kept it a secret that the 1D X has built-in wireless capability to control (and be triggered) the new speedlite. Yeah, dream on...  ::)

canon rumors FORUM

No RC-6 love for 1 series bodies?
« on: February 23, 2012, 09:52:24 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: No RC-6 love for 1 series bodies?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 04:06:04 PM »
The 1-series is a pro body.  Canon expects you to spend hundreds of dollars on the LC-5 to remotely trigger it.

It's likely I'll get a 1D X - if I do, I'm really going to miss the easy-to-use RC-1 that works with my 7D and 5DII.   :'(
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Z

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 04:30:00 PM »
Canon expects you to spend hundreds of dollars on the LC-5 to remotely trigger it.

I didn't even know the LC-5 existed until now... I just looked it up. Oh dear...

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 04:33:26 PM »
Indeed.  It's not just the price - for family portraits which I want to be in, the RC-1 fits invisibly in the palm of my hand for the shot.  The LC-5 remote is quite large, relatively, and will take longer to set up, also.

bigblue1ca

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 04:47:56 PM »
the RC-1 fits invisibly in the palm of my hand for the shot.

Exactly!  $500 to take the occasional family shot with me in it....kind of a waste.  I really like the simplicity of the RC-5 for such purposes.

Mark D5 TEAM II

• 1D X
  • Proud N0ink 0wnz0r / crApple iFruitcake H4t3r
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 01:30:20 AM »
Yes, that is one inexplicable product differentiation logic from Canon ???. All the Rebels except for the 4-digit models have had an IR receiver, yet none of the higher models before the 7D & 5D2 had it.  ::)
Nikon NSF16 5-Leaf Dual-Blade Industrial Fan ¦ Nikon NTMFI-H1 Dry Heavy Flat Iron ¦ Nikon Tough Mama NTMRC1-2S Rice Cooker “Limited Edition” ¦ Nikon Tough Mama NTMJK18-S Stainless Electric Kettle Plate Type ¦ Nikon NHT 2-in-1 Curling Iron & Straightener in One ¦ Nikon N4004s Decision Master System™

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 01:53:22 AM »
I love my RC-6. The day I bought it I mounted the little leather holder on the camera-strap, most of the time I forget it's even there. I take my TC80-N3 sometimes to use as a remote, then don't bother and grab the RC-6.

Great for macro, self-portraits, landscapes on tripod, anything. Even 3-bracket shots for HDR, on timer/remote-mode, the RC-6 sets of 3 high-speed shots with one click of the button.

Best $20 I ever spent.

Can't believe that it doesn't work on a 1-series?
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 01:53:22 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 08:18:00 PM »
Ok, so no previous 1-series body has worked with an IR remote...it seems that the 1D X does. 

That little transparent-looking window is in exactly the same spot as the one on my 7D, which is the IR remote sensor.  According to Imaging Resource: "Physically, the Canon 1D X doesn't veer much from its predecessors, but with a few notable additions. One prominent addition is the infrared port on the front of the grip, a feature only recently seen moving up the line from the Rebels, and now it's made it to the top. If you wanted infrared on a pro or semi-pro camera, you had to pay for an expensive receiver and remote combo, but now it's built into the EOS-1D X. We have yet to learn whether it requires a special remote."

Z

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 05:59:29 AM »
Ok, so no previous 1-series body has worked with an IR remote...it seems that the 1D X does...

Excellent news! Thanks for sharing that. I must admit I had previously noticed the little circle on the grip and I'd sort of assumed they had decided to move the self-timer lamp to that position, but I much prefer this explanation.

kaz

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
Self timer lamp?
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2012, 06:44:42 AM »
According to the diagram on Canon Japan's site, it's a "self timer lamp." The 7D diagram says it's an IR sensor. So they don't seem to be the same...

I was hoping to be able to use something smaller and cheaper than the LC-5. It's the one thing I don't understand about Canon's decision with the 1 series...

Kaz

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: Self timer lamp?
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2012, 08:05:29 AM »
According to the diagram on Canon Japan's site, it's a "self timer lamp."

Well, that would bite.  Imaging Resource may have gotten it wrong?  I suppose it's possible that there's one 'window' for both the sensor and the lamp.  I don't read Japanese...

JR

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2012, 08:50:11 AM »
I sure hope that IR sensor as per your picture above Neuro is indeed working with the small RC-6.  I dont see myself getting something bigger for occasional use anyway!
1DX, 24mm f1.4L II, 35mm f1.4L, 50mm f1.2L, 85mm f1.2L II, 135mm f2L, 24-70mm f2.8L II, 70-200mm f2.8L IS II :  D800, D4, and a whole bunch of Nikon lenses

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2012, 09:15:18 AM »
I'd prefer to just keep on using the RC-1, so I hope that Imaging Resource is correct on this one.  But, the RC-6 (which replaced the RC-1) isn't listed as being compatible with the 1D X, nor are any wireless remotes other than the LC-5 listed on the 1D X accessories page.  However...

There's an RF remote from hähnel ($70 from B&H) with an N3 connector that works with 1-series bodies.

Also, for those using the PocketWizard system (like me), you can get the CM-N3-ACC cable from PW ($87 from B&H), connect a FlexTT5 to the camera N3 port with the cable, and trigger it from a MiniTT1 (or another FlexTT5, but the MiniTT1 is conveniently small).

So, there are other options that are more convenient and less expensive than the Canon LC-5.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 09:27:13 AM by neuroanatomist »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2012, 09:15:18 AM »

kaz

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2012, 07:00:07 PM »
The text in that image is Chinese...  In any case, yeah, that also says "self timer lamp."   :'(

I really don't understand why Canon doesn't add this feature, as they did in their lower bodies. It's not even an issue of cost. I just don't want extra bulk for a feature that seems so obviously useful.

I use Canon's (also expensive) cable timer shutter release, and although it works well, the cable gets tangled in the tripod and is very inconvenient. The cable also doesn't help if you want to be in the shot and carefully time it. What's the big deal about adding this simple feature, Canon!?!?

Kaz

LetTheRightLensIn

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2012, 07:18:41 PM »
The text in that image is Chinese...  In any case, yeah, that also says "self timer lamp."   :'(

I really don't understand why Canon doesn't add this feature, as they did in their lower bodies. It's not even an issue of cost. I just don't want extra bulk for a feature that seems so obviously useful.

I use Canon's (also expensive) cable timer shutter release, and although it works well, the cable gets tangled in the tripod and is very inconvenient. The cable also doesn't help if you want to be in the shot and carefully time it. What's the big deal about adding this simple feature, Canon!?!?

Kaz

You can probably find a wireless remote release for it from China for like $12.
I got one for my 5D2 and it's worked without issue.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2012, 07:18:41 PM »