August 22, 2014, 07:45:11 PM

Poll

Select an option which best describes you

I own a 5DMk2 and 5DMk3 definitely sounds like a worthwhile upgrade for me. I'll sell the Mk2.
6 (15.8%)
I own a 5DMk2 and 5DMk3 definitely sounds like a worthwhile upgrade for me. However, I'll keep my Mk2.
7 (18.4%)
I own a 5DMk2 and the improvements in MK3 are not sufficient for me to upgrade. I'm keeping my Mk2.
8 (21.1%)
I don't yet have a FF camera, but MK3 finally convinced me to upgrade.
7 (18.4%)
I don't yet have a FF camera, but now it's clear that I'll be getting the Mk2 because $3500 is not worth it.
8 (21.1%)
I don't care for the 5D line
2 (5.3%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Author Topic: Should I buy the 5DMkIII now or wait for 5DMK2  (Read 2989 times)

sb

  • Guest
Should I buy the 5DMkIII now or wait for 5DMK2
« on: February 23, 2012, 11:22:05 AM »
Let's turn this around a little  :)

ASSUMING the rumored spec list and pricing is really true, and ASSUMING a plausible low light RAW improvement (of say 1 stop) compared to MK2, I'm just curious, how many people are now thinking "screw this, I'm gonna wait until MK2 drops below $2000 and save myself $1500"

The reason behind this HIGHLY UNSCIENTIFIC poll is to get a rough idea of where MK2 prices will go over the next little while (and also milk the 5DMk3 topic some more until it's released and we start hearing the crickets  :))

Crapking

  • 7D
  • *****
  • Posts: 342
  • "Whatever you are....be a good one." AL
    • View Profile
    • Crapking Photos
Re: Should I buy the 5DMkIII now or wait for 5DMK2
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 11:31:45 AM »
Should clarify the last option -
1Dx, instead of the 5d 'update' (not "I don't care for the 5D line")
1Dx, 1DIV, 5D3, 7D, (Sigma 15 FE)
16-35/2.8; 24-70/2.8 II; 70-200/2.8 II, 100-400L
35/1.4, 40/2.8; 50/1.2, 85/1.2, 135/2; 200/2

Maui5150

  • 7D
  • *****
  • Posts: 358
    • View Profile
Re: Should I buy the 5DMkIII now or wait for 5DMK2
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 11:35:09 AM »
Think you missed one.

"5DMKIII is an upgrade to the 5DMKII, I plan on upgrading, but not for a year or more."

I will upgrade to the 5DMKIII or 5DX or what ever the large MP may be, but will let the dust settle and maximize my return

Tijn

  • Guest
Re: Should I buy the 5DMkIII now or wait for 5DMK2
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 11:35:22 AM »
I lack an option of finding the 5DMkIII worthwhile, but not yet upgrading / not yet having the cash.  :)

I wasn't sure about a 5DMkII because of the limited upgrade it would be (no weathersealing, limited ISO upgrade vs 5DMk3, non-great AF). Now when I upgrade in a year or two, I'll be more than happy with the 5DMk3 - but at the moment, I just don't have the money.  :)  If I had 4000eu to spare, I'd happily upgrade.

iaind

  • Canon 70D
  • ****
  • Posts: 311
    • View Profile
Re: Should I buy the 5DMkIII now or wait for 5DMK2
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 02:18:59 PM »
I currently own 5d2 with 40d backup.

 I intend to upgrade keeping 5d2 as back up.

Undecided whether to go for  a 1DX or 5D3/X. I await prices specs and factual delivery dates with interest.
Might maka a nice Christmas present!!!
5DIII + BGE11 / 5DII + BGE6 / 40D + BGE2N /8-15 4L / 17-35 2.8L / 24 3.5L TS-E /24-70 2.8II L / 24-105 4L IS /Zuiko 50 1.4/ 100 2.8L Macro IS / 70-200 2.8L / 300 4L / 100-400L

Crapking

  • 7D
  • *****
  • Posts: 342
  • "Whatever you are....be a good one." AL
    • View Profile
    • Crapking Photos
Re: Should I buy the 5DMkIII now or wait for 5DMK2
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 04:00:09 PM »

Undecided whether to go for  a 1DX or 5D3/X. I await prices specs and factual delivery dates with interest.


In the same boat - but not sure which way to paddle  :)
1Dx, 1DIV, 5D3, 7D, (Sigma 15 FE)
16-35/2.8; 24-70/2.8 II; 70-200/2.8 II, 100-400L
35/1.4, 40/2.8; 50/1.2, 85/1.2, 135/2; 200/2

nitelife2

  • PowerShot G1 X II
  • ***
  • Posts: 31
    • View Profile
Re: Should I buy the 5DMkIII now or wait for 5DMK2
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 05:12:00 PM »
Another option is missing:
I dont have FF yet and want one but now it's clear that I'll be neither getting the Mk2 (ancient tech) nor the Mk3 (overpriced/feature lacking). No idea what to do now...