July 31, 2014, 01:53:28 PM

Author Topic: Why I am happy that the 5D3 shows almost no new video impovements  (Read 6375 times)

kkoster

From the suggested specs, it would seem that there has been almost no improvements/benefits to the video element of the new 5D3/X about to be announced shortly.

There seems to have been no improvement with regards to: Moire, aliasing, rolling shutter, higher frame rates - In fact it would seem pretty much the same standard as the trusty 5D2.

Videographers who purchased the 5D2 for its video capabilities and not to use it for stills will probably be content to leave the 5D3/x completely alone and save a fortune by sticking with the 5D2. I know I will.

An extra CF card slot won't tempt me, that's for sure. I just hope for Canon's sake that there's a lot of photographers out there wanting to buy it!

canon rumors FORUM

Lyra Video Productions

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
    • Lyra Video Productions
Re: Why I am happy that the 5D3 shows almost no new video impovements
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 02:19:06 PM »
Where have you seen that Canon hasn't improved all these things?  Are there other rumors out there I haven't seen?  Please post link if there are.  Thanks.

daveswan

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 02:19:46 PM »
We don't really *know* anything beyond rumors.

I've heard "Best video of any DSLR", well I hope so, perhaps even better than the 1Dx, no moire, aliasing or other nasties and a nice robust gradeable codec, 100+ mbps I-Frame 10 bit 4:2:2 or better.

kkoster

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 02:48:51 PM »
I've had a guy at Canon privately tell me that their DSLRs will always be photo-first and video-second and not to expect anything even close to C-300 quality with the new 5DX coming out. Sure, that may sound obvious enough and you may answer, 'Of course,' but I suppose I'd raised my hopes too high for Canon continuing to champion at least one of their DSLR range toward a video-premiere league in answer the rallying cry of videographers and filmmakers the world over.

Is this Canon saying, if you want serious filmic-quality video, go with the C-300, or shutup?!

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 03:03:19 PM »
From the suggested specs, it would seem that there has been almost no improvements/benefits to the video element of the new 5D3/X about to be announced shortly.

There seems to have been no improvement with regards to: Moire, aliasing, rolling shutter, higher frame rates - In fact it would seem pretty much the same standard as the trusty 5D2.

Videographers who purchased the 5D2 for its video capabilities and not to use it for stills will probably be content to leave the 5D3/x completely alone and save a fortune by sticking with the 5D2. I know I will.

An extra CF card slot won't tempt me, that's for sure. I just hope for Canon's sake that there's a lot of photographers out there wanting to buy it!

What??

The mere fact it has only 22MP might well mean it has tons of video improvements.
And what do you think Digic 5+ is all about?

Of course it will fix the moire/aliasing/low resolution issues.

DavidRiesenberg

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • David Riesenberg
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 03:35:25 PM »
I've had a guy at Canon privately tell me that their DSLRs will always be photo-first and video-second and not to expect anything even close to C-300 quality with the new 5DX coming out. Sure, that may sound obvious enough and you may answer, 'Of course,' but I suppose I'd raised my hopes too high for Canon continuing to champion at least one of their DSLR range toward a video-premiere league in answer the rallying cry of videographers and filmmakers the world over.

Is this Canon saying, if you want serious filmic-quality video, go with the C-300, or shutup?!

There is the CDSLR concept so that already rules out the DSLR always being photo first.
Secondly while the notion is not as romantic as the photo-only-purists would like it to be but one of the major factors of the 5DIIs success was the video portion. And Canon are not stupid to slaughter that cash cow. Even if there will be a Cinema line of cameras, there is still a huge market in people that are not able to buy two cameras to satisfy both their photographic and video needs.

Daniel Flather

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 03:43:06 PM »
Why not wait for the official announcement from Canon, and not a rumour?   ::)
| 5D3 | 8-15L | 24L II | 35L | 50L | 85L II | 100 macro | 200/2L | EOS M | 22 STM |

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 03:43:06 PM »

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 04:03:51 PM »

The thing hasn't even been released yet!  What makes you think that the moire, banding, and rolling shutter haven't been improved?  It's just too hard to say, we have basic specs right now and that's it, no details. 

I suspect they didn't add any new features because it would eat into the sales of the 4K cinema dslr that is supposed to be announced within the year.  I'm sure the video will be improved, but the 5D series is a still camera, plain and simple.  The popularity of the 5DII among filmmakers was NOT something that Canon predicted, and it's clear they are trying to separate the two. 

There are some photographers that NEVER use the video feature, so why make them pay for features they aren't going to use?  On the same note, there are videographers that dont need 6fps, autofocus, or any other still features, so why should they have to pay for them.  It makes much more sense to make one dedicated to stills and one dedicated to video, which Canon is doing.
5DIII/5DII/Bunch of L's and ZE's, currently rearranging.

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 04:05:38 PM »

How is a Cinema DSLR, made by the Cinema EOS division a "photo-first" camera?
5DIII/5DII/Bunch of L's and ZE's, currently rearranging.

CrimsonBlue

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2012, 04:15:38 PM »
So what you're saying is, "I'm happy other people won't have improvements because I don't want to have to buy a new body for my video needs."  Cool.
1Ds III • 5D II • 50mm f/1.2L • 85mm f/1.2L • 24-70mm • 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2012, 05:07:19 PM »
Why not wait for the official announcement from Canon, and not a rumour?   ::)

+1

Next thing you know, we will have full fledged reviews based on rumored specs which are not even complete.  And for people to make purchasing decisions on rumors will lead to disappointments.

kkoster

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2012, 05:45:47 PM »
How is a Cinema DSLR, made by the Cinema EOS division a "photo-first" camera?

I don't think I was referring to Cinema DSLR for obvious reasons, but the traditional range of dual photo/video capable DSLRs.

kapanak

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2012, 05:50:14 PM »
This is really beyond speculation. There is no way Canon would release a 5DIII without video improvements. I am sure those hoping for a death of DSLR video are in for a disappointment :P

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2012, 05:50:14 PM »

Astro

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2012, 05:56:34 PM »

i wish i had your glas orb!!

but i wonder.... why don´t you use your abilities to foresee the lotto numbers?   ???

kkoster

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2012, 05:57:42 PM »
So what you're saying is, "I'm happy other people won't have improvements because I don't want to have to buy a new body for my video needs."  Cool.

Actually, not quite. You know what? I'd love to buy Canon's next model of 5D. And I would, if I felt it had addressed what we've been crying out for on this very forum for the last three years. But somehow, I fear we may be building ourselves up for a disappointment.

However, I'll hold my hands up and shut up until you guys hear the announcement and see the specs for yourselves. Don't mind me - I'm just venting!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2012, 05:57:42 PM »