Gear Talk > Lenses

Help choosing a new medium tele prime

(1/4) > >>

Setazo:
Hi. This is my first time righting in this forum, even though I have followed it for some time.

I'm into concert photography (mostly rock) and I'm currently using my canon 50mm 1.4 and sigma 30mm 1.4 on my 40d, when I shoot at concerts. I want to be able to get closer to the musicians, so I'm considering getting myself a new medium tele lens.

The options I've been looking into are:
1. Canon 85mm 1.8
2. Sigma 85mm 1.4
3. Canon 100mm 2.0
4. Canon 85mm 1.4 (I've seen this one be mentioned different places, but I can't find it anywhere for sale here in Denmark... :o

I would appreciate very much any advice, comment , suggestion.
Thanks

neuroanatomist:

--- Quote from: Setazo on February 23, 2012, 03:48:35 PM ---The options I've been looking into are:

--- End quote ---

1. Canon 85mm 1.8 - excellent choice if you're on a tight budget
2. Sigma 85mm 1.4 - slightly faster, more expensive, Sigma lenses have QC issues so be sure you can return the lens
3. Canon 100mm 2.0 - close cousin to the 85/1.8, better if you need the extra 15mm
4. Canon 85mm 1.4 - there is no such lens, do you mean the 85/1.2L II?  If so, AF is probably too slow for your use.

SpareImp:
I can't speak for the others, but the Canon 85mm f/1.8 is a really good lens. Pretty sharp wide open and as good as it gets from f/2.8. Wonderful bokeh. The AF works great, too. No matter how good the other lenses may be, I doubt you'll be disappointed when it comes to this. Great value for the money.

Setazo:
I suspected the canon 85mm 1.4 didn't exist, but it just keeps appearing in threads around... Must be typos  :)

Is the Sigma 85mm worth the money compared to the slightly slower canon?? Here in Denmark, the Sigma is 2X the price of the Canon...

neuroanatomist:

--- Quote from: Setazo on February 23, 2012, 04:27:41 PM ---Is the Sigma 85mm worth the money compared to the slightly slower canon?? Here in Denmark, the Sigma is 2X the price of the Canon...

--- End quote ---

For portraits, I'd say probably.  For concerts, I'd say probably not.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version