Gear Talk > Lenses

Help Me Choose The Best Lens

(1/2) > >>

Jerrad245:
I have been a long time reader, but haven't really posted much, but I am in a situation where I would love the feedback of you guys who have a lot more knowledge than I do on particular lenses.

I currently shoot senior portraits and wedding's. my current lineup consists of a 5d Mark 2, 50L, 85 1.8, 135L, 100L IS Macro, and 70-300L.   My plan is to sell the 70-300L, I love the lens, but it doesn't fit my purposes much, and I am a fan of the narrow DOF & Natural Light. So my plan is to purchase one of two lenses.

Canon 70-200L 2.8 IS II

OR

Canon 85mm 1.2 II

I am wondering what you guys see as the bigger priority. A large part of me says the 70-200 for the versatility and fitting in an area I will be leaving with the loss of the 70-300. The other part is fixed on primes, I love them, I know some will say I need a wide prime then, but my 50 I find very versatile. I love the color on the images ive seen with the 85L and im wondering what you would think would be the best option. I understand I have the 85 1.8 already, but I really want the highest quality possible. I would love to hear your feedback. Thanks in advance.

Jerrad245:
anyone have any input? any info is appreciated.

vuilang:
Although your situation is different than this thread. but the contents and dicussions are very similar. you might want to check them out.
http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php/topic,3298.msg70403.html#msg70403

Mt Spokane Photography:
For portraits, the 85mmL is magnificent.  The 70-200mm f/2.8 will work, but like your 70-300, is not primarily a portrait lens.  You also might look at a 35mm L.

mr.ranger:
For me i would sell the 85 1.8 if you want the 85L. that way you wont have duplicates of lens and still have a nice practical zoom lens. You say it doesn't really fit your purpose but getting a 70-200 really fit your purpose that much better? Yes it does 2.8 but you have shorter focal length and weighs a ton!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version