December 21, 2014, 08:39:32 AM

Author Topic: 5D Mark II & 7D Mode Dial Lock Upgrade  (Read 13886 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
5D Mark II & 7D Mode Dial Lock Upgrade
« on: December 02, 2010, 08:19:51 AM »

Effective December 6, 2010, Canon will start to provide as a chargeable service, a locking mode dial modification for the “EOS 5D MarkII” and “EOS 7D” digital single-lens reflex cameras.

This modification is available, for a fee, to owners of these cameras who would prefer a Mode Dial which locks in place and can’t be accidentally moved during normal camera operation.

For USA residents, the pricing of the locking mode dial modification service for EOS 5D Mark II and 7D cameras has been set at $100 per camera as of December, 2010. (Pricing and availability subject to change without notice.) For further details, see contact information for inquiries below.

Once modified, users must first press and hold down the central lock-release button in order to turn the Mode Dial. The modification is intended to prevent the Mode Dial from accidentally moving, once set to a particular exposure mode by the user.

Applicable Products

EOS 5D Mark II Digital SLR Cameras

EOS 7D Digital SLR Cameras

cr

canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

5D Mark II & 7D Mode Dial Lock Upgrade
« on: December 02, 2010, 08:19:51 AM »

justicend

Re: 5D Mark II & 7D Mode Dial Lock Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 08:25:13 AM »
Seems like "Mode Dial Lock" will be canon's standard in upcoming camera lineup

ChadSorianoPhotoBlog

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 09:05:51 AM »
Does anybody know if this is a free upgrade or discounted service for CPS Gold or Platinum members in the US? I will try to inquire myself and update my post later.

Thanks

http://www.chadsorianophotoblog.com/

DetlevCM

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2010, 09:06:18 AM »
Interesting offer.

Personally in my experience I can't see a use for it on the 5D MK II - or at least my mode dial only changes when I touch it to change something - but with the 7D where the on/off switch sits below the dial I can see the point of it.

A question from my side - I'll assume it won't affect the weather sealing?

MOT

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2010, 09:47:34 AM »
This is great.  I have on occassion found that I somehow changed from manual to bulb by accident, and because I wasn't prepared for that missed out on a shot.  However, one of my favorite shots was created by this accident, haha.  In any case, I will be getting it.

Justin

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2010, 09:49:41 AM »
Pricey upgrade for a 2.5 year old camera--5D2

I don't have any need for this. i rarely inadvertently bump the mode dial and if I do it's apparent right away that I'm not shooting in M.

mccrum

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
    • Jeff McCrum Photography
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2010, 10:47:13 AM »
Having used a 60D for a day rental, it was something I wish my 5Dii had as well.  But not for $100.  I might go after it for half that, but I'm wondering how long it will take as well.  I'm betting longer than a week, which is not ideal around the holidays.
5D Mark II, 24-105 f4, 70-200 f2.8, Nifty 50 f1.8, Polaroid SLR 680, Kowa Super 66

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2010, 10:47:13 AM »

IllegalFun

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2010, 12:03:40 PM »
I wish it was available on all the cameras...
I keep knocking from my usual Av to the TV or M modes
however at $100 it is a bit expensive... and a £1200 for a 7D and £1600 for a 5D Mk2 they should upgrade any coming out of the factory for free

the camera boy

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2010, 03:06:29 PM »
I worked at a camera store for 11 years and can't tell you how ofter we had eos A2 and eos 10s bodies with this lock all jammed up. I got pretty good at fixing them. Hope Canon has a new better lock than back then.

bengershon

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2010, 03:07:31 PM »
Well, this is most annoying. I really cannot imagine it would take an engineer more than 10 minutes to do this, but this is what I received this morning from Canon UK:

"Thank you for the recent email you sent to Canon.  Unfortunately we are unable to do this Modification as a while you wait service.  It would need to be booked in as a repair and will take roughly 5-7 working days to be done."

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2010, 05:10:57 PM »
£1200 for a 7D and £1600 for a 5D Mk2 they should upgrade any coming out of the factory for free

Not mine!  I don't have a problem with accidentally rotating the mode dial, but I do have a problem with anything that would slow down intentionally changing modes. 
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Son of Daguerre

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2010, 05:15:48 PM »
No thanks. For my weak fingers, the mode dials are difficult enough to turn. I'm not worried about accidentally changing a setting - I lack the strength for that.

I don't see paying US$100 to make it harder for me (by having to hold down the button) to be a wise investment, do you?

Not mine!  I don't have a problem with accidentally rotating the mode dial, but I do have a problem with anything that would slow down intentionally changing modes. 
neuroanatomist said it best.

traveller

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2010, 05:55:53 PM »
I can't help thinking that a switch, like the one that locks the rear control dial, would be a better solution.  This would give you the choice of when/if you wish to use it. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2010, 05:55:53 PM »

Canon 14-24

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2010, 07:40:33 PM »
I'd be in the poll of people who would also find this a worthless upgrade, maybe in the future if i ever bump my camera on that plate/corner I will do it.

niftyken

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2010, 02:40:15 AM »
This dial has accidentally rotated without my noticing more than a handful of times when I'm wearing the camera on a strap with the dial bumping against my hip when I'm walking around. Even then, I'm not sure I care to pay $100 to upgrade it. Usually the resulting exposures are enough to inform me that something is not right.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2010, 02:40:15 AM »