Gear Talk > Lenses

10-22 and 15-85

(1/3) > >>

Cardad:
I am thinking about adding the EF-S 10-22 to my collection of lenses.  I have an EF-S 15-85 as my walk around lens and I love my 7D for its abilities in shooting action (motorsports).  However, I want to expand to shoot other subjects, particularly architecture and landscapes.  While I would like to add a FF to my arsenal, I'd say the 5Diii doesn't fit in the budget right now.  The 10-22 seems like a nice addition for the wide end.

While I love the shots I get with the 15-85, I am sometimes put off by the barrel distortion at the 15mm end.  From what I read, the EF-S 10-22 is pretty remarkable for its lack of barrel distortion.  What I have not been able to discern from the reviews I have found is if the 10-22 may be less distorted at 15 or 16 mm than the 15-85.  Can anyone who has used both tell me if I would gain anything over the 15-85 in the 15-17 mm range by adding the 10-22?

wickidwombat:
I don't have one but everyone I know with them love them, the other lens to consider that lot of people rave about is the tokina 11-16 f2.8 its supposed to be killer on a crop

jwong:
You don't know what you're missing until you get an ultrawide lens.  The difference between 10mm and 15mm is huge.  Some prefer the Tokina 11-16, but I think the zoom range is a bit restrictive although the f/2.8 is nice.  But if you're shooting landscapes, you wouldn't be using f/2.8 much anyway.  Indoors, the wider end will get you over 90 degree angle of view, which is the entire room if you stand in the corner.

I have the 17-55 f/2.8 as my general lens, and I got the 10-22 from the canon refurb store when they were running their sale late last year.  I plan on selling it when I move to FF, and I see it more as a down payment for the 16-35 II.  In the few months that I've had it, I've used it more than expected both indoor and outdoor.  I also like that it overlaps my 17-55's range, so that I don't have to switch lenses as often.

rhicks:
I have both the 15-85mm and the 10-22mm and love them both.

Since purchasing the 10-22mm last year, about 75% of my pictures have been taken with it.  I'm using it for my walk around now and love it at 10mm and 22mm.  I switch over to the 15-85mm for portraits and low light without a tripod.  For everything else, the 10-22mm stays on the camera.

I've always wanted to go FF at some point, but it is going to be hard for me to give up the 10-22mm lens.  It is that good.

As for the difference in barrel distortion between the lenses at 15-17mm,  I don't see any.  I haven't had an issue with barrel distortion on the 15-85mm.   I shoot RAW and do all my lens corrections in Lightroom.  The built in lens profile for the 15-85mm and the 10-22mm works great.  I don't start looking for problems until the profile is applied.

Tijn:

--- Quote from: rhicks on February 24, 2012, 12:41:51 AM ---I've always wanted to go FF at some point, but it is going to be hard for me to give up the 10-22mm lens.  It is that good.
--- End quote ---
The EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II will certainly be able to take that place for a FF camera. And it'll feel that much nicer, too.  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version