September 01, 2014, 10:01:44 PM

Author Topic: 60D Flip Screen Saga [CR2]  (Read 16562 times)

CamaJan

Re: 60D Flip Screen Saga [CR2]
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2010, 05:10:33 PM »
Adding capacitive touchscreen ability is quite easy. i believe it is just one more step in manufacturing of applying a very thin, and almost invisible net of sensor wires(?) to the screen. :) It is no different in thicknes. LED backlit would make it thinner, to. AMOLED even better... also low power consumption
I saw the description somewhere. even mentioned in G2 review somewhere (dpreview?)

But hey canon knows all of this. But they must feed us those "advancements" in the next 5yrs. SO don't get your hopes up. It's that kind of mind set: "we are professionals" "only proven tech is offered"  white coat attitude! LOL!  8)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2010, 05:10:33 PM »

-hh

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2010, 08:32:12 PM »
I personally do not care for flip screens. But apparently, some people do.

I still have one on our 4MP Canon A80 .. it certainly has some drawbacks, but it is also a useful tool.

Today, Canon is nothing more than a follower. It's sad really... given their technological prowess.

It does seem that after the autofocus issues on the Pro body, they've been particularly conservative. 

Thus said, I'm more interested in seeing a good compact "A80" replacement (the A590 doesn't cut it) with a flip screen before I ponder too much about a dSLR with one ... and FWIW, I have to wonder about a touchscreen implementation:  how does it know that its my finger, versus my nose?

-hh 

nzmargolies

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2010, 12:22:55 AM »
i would love to see it done well.
the one on the a550 sticks to far out so it is impossible to use the viewfinder, and the one on the d5000 is low resolution...

jius

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2010, 03:03:00 AM »
so when are we going to get confirming evidence? Recent dates for announcement were wrong. So what makes this a CR2? Did the source get a previous 'educated guess' correct? Well I work for canon(as a customer) and my rumor from a source i cannot disclose  is that the next DSLR from canon will be fully digital, have a screen, rechargeable battery, a mirror that moves up and down (i heard possibly 6 times a second), it will have removeable lens mount, will accept digital media cards, LCD screen and a processing unit. My source tells me it will be better than previous model in its aimed class, but will still cause whinging from certain canon owners. So I guess this should warrant a CR3 as my source is never wrong.

Aputure

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Aputure Blog
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2010, 03:38:20 AM »
lol. hilarious. i hope the swivel LCD screen hype is true. it'll make long exposures and still life studio work that much easier.

so when are we going to get confirming evidence? Recent dates for announcement were wrong. So what makes this a CR2? Did the source get a previous 'educated guess' correct? Well I work for canon(as a customer) and my rumor from a source i cannot disclose  is that the next DSLR from canon will be fully digital, have a screen, rechargeable battery, a mirror that moves up and down (i heard possibly 6 times a second), it will have removeable lens mount, will accept digital media cards, LCD screen and a processing unit. My source tells me it will be better than previous model in its aimed class, but will still cause whinging from certain canon owners. So I guess this should warrant a CR3 as my source is never wrong.

scott

« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2010, 12:26:55 PM »
I don't see the value of having a flip screen unless it provides something that the current LCD cannot, such as touch display.
My camcorder has a flip screen that is touch sensitive and allows me to selectively set the exposure. This might be a cool feature for the 60D.  Having the ability to click on the screen and have the camera focus or set the exposure might be useful.

Otherwise, keep the flip screen and give me GPS.

gkreis

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2010, 12:55:26 PM »
Wrong. Its going to be 55D with 16.1 MP!!! I found the ad in a photography mag July edition.

Right.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 03:39:24 PM by Cobalt720 »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2010, 12:55:26 PM »

gkreis

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2010, 01:32:51 PM »
I don't see the value of having a flip screen unless it provides something that the current LCD cannot, such as touch display.

Have you ever wanted to get a macro shot at eye level for something on the ground?  Have you ever wanted to frame a shot while holding over head?  Have you ever wanted to shoot video of kids playing, at their eye level?

It gives you far more room for creative shooting....  bring it on.  The fixed display cameras are still with us...  ;-)

My camcorder has a flip screen that is touch sensitive and allows me to selectively set the exposure. This might be a cool feature for the 60D.  Having the ability to click on the screen and have the camera focus or set the exposure might be useful.

Otherwise, keep the flip screen and give me GPS.

Who says you can't have both?

Imagine holding a dSLR with a large lens and an attached flash and trying to touch a screen to focus.  I can't imagine it. Not saying I wouldn't want it, I just can't imagine it.  It is a far more appealing idea to me for a very light P&S camera.

PoPO

« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2010, 01:34:14 PM »
If it has flip screen but i don't need touch screen because it's difficult for handling.
I want have the button for press. it helps you control some function.>>>comfortable

PaulRivers

« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2010, 02:17:56 PM »
I definitely think it should have a swivel screen.

The only complaint about swivel screens that seems valid (but solveable) is that is that on some models they don't fasten to the camera well, and if you're not swiveling they can flop out. That's bad - but it seems like a good design shouldn't have this problem. Heck, we're talking about a dslr here - it's not like size or weight is at a premium, put in a good latching mechanism.

If you're a dslr snob, you're definitely not using liveview anyways. You're using the viewfinder.

The only thing you use it for is navigating menus or reviewing pictures. If you've ever tried to review pictures via the camera screen, you know that a picture which looks bad on the screen can end up looking good at full size on the monitor, and visa versa. So if you lose a few pixels in exchange for the rotating screen, it's not like it's going to make much of a difference anyways.

So what I'm saying is - the screen doesn't do any primary tasks on the dslr anyways. Usually the argument against an articulating screen is that you'll lose a few pixels of resolution, but that isn't going to make or break anything you're doing anyways.

But an articulating screen makes liveview useful - in situations where it's impossible to use the viewfinder, you can finally actually use liveview for something. If you need to hold the camera over your head, if you need to put it down on the ground, to your left or right, put it on a tripod, remotely trigger the camera (you could be standing in front of it!), start a long exposure going without touching the camera...these are all things that liveview + articulating screen can let you do when it's impossible to use the viewfinder.

gkreis

« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2010, 03:19:09 PM »
I can now wait patiently for the 60D since my 40D came back from Canon, after replacing the electronics board ($200), and all my lenses are tweaked again for tack sharp focus at no extra cost, THANK YOU CANON! Canon has terrific customer service. I fuss sometimes about their overpixelation syndrome, but you have to admit Canon really knows how to take care of their customers and their equipment.

Time to get out and shoot and leave the 60D behind for dream time....

egmancera

« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2010, 03:43:30 PM »
What’s the point of bringing a 60D, don’t we have already a 7D and a Rebel xt2i??? Canon will create a camera to be between the 7D and xt2i??? What’s the point of it???

gkreis

« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2010, 03:57:27 PM »
What’s the point of bringing a 60D, don’t we have already a 7D and a Rebel xt2i??? Canon will create a camera to be between the 7D and xt2i??? What’s the point of it???

You really can't guess, especially in these economic times?  The 7D is OVERKILL for many folks and twice the price of the T2i. Sure, 7D features are terrific, but I believe a better bodied and stepped up features from the T2i in a 60D is just what many folks are interested in.  Watch the sales figures, if they get it right. If they try something a little more radical and it clicks, then look out...  out of the park.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2010, 03:57:27 PM »

noobie

« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2010, 04:49:57 PM »
Why is Canon introducing another camera? MONEY, people like to buy things (Look at why our economy is so jacked) Canon is playing off of peoples desire to get the next best thing, and when they do upgrade to a new camera they usually buy a new lens or two, with some supporting Canon apparel. This is business as usual. Now they have at least 2 camera updates a year.

PaulRivers

« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2010, 05:20:32 PM »
I can now wait patiently for the 60D since my 40D came back from Canon, after replacing the electronics board ($200), and all my lenses are tweaked again for tack sharp focus at no extra cost, THANK YOU CANON! Canon has terrific customer service. I fuss sometimes about their overpixelation syndrome, but you have to admit Canon really knows how to take care of their customers and their equipment.

Time to get out and shoot and leave the 60D behind for dream time....

My Canon s90 has developed 3 bad pixels, right in the middle of the picture. There's no official way for me to fix this on my own.

When I asked at the store about a warranty replacement, they said sure - they could ship my camera into Canon, and I would get it back - in 4-6 WEEKS.

How long did it take to get your camera back? I don't know about you, but the "we'll fix your camera and you'll get it back in 6 weeks" isn't feasible for me - for that amount of time, I'd have to buy a 2nd camera to cover the gap.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2010, 05:20:32 PM »