October 01, 2014, 04:43:39 AM

Author Topic: Search on 5D mark iii with B&H provides a hint  (Read 3083 times)

SFischer

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
Search on 5D mark iii with B&H provides a hint
« on: February 24, 2012, 11:51:05 AM »
Perhaps this is already obvious that the 5D mark III is imminent, but out of curiosity, I tried entering "Canon EOS 5D mark iii" in the search box for B&H.  In response I get the following message:

We're sorry! B&H does not have any information posted for "Canon EOS 5D Mark III" at this time. See below results for CANON 5D MARK II"

This brings up a couple of points:
1. This error message appears specially crafted for the mark III.  The capitalization has changed.
2. If I do the same search for a mark iv, I don't get any such message, just the normal search response that hits on some other content that apparently has 'iv' in some field.

Trying this for the 5DX does not turn up anything.

canon rumors FORUM

Search on 5D mark iii with B&H provides a hint
« on: February 24, 2012, 11:51:05 AM »

sailingsilkeborg

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
Re: Search on 5D mark iii with B&H provides a hint
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 12:04:38 PM »
"This brings up a couple of points:
1. This error message appears specially crafted for the mark III.  The capitalization has changed."

Changed from what? Doesn't the 5D Mark II itself have "upper case" Roman numerals on the body?

Z

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 12:21:22 PM »
Hmm, that is quite bizarre!  Searching "canon 7d mark ii" or "canon 1d mark v" doesn't return any such message.

chriswatters

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 12:28:26 PM »
That is very interesting.   8)

The error only appears when searching for "Canon EOS 5D mark iii". Even a search for "Canon EOS 5D iii" will not produce that error.  :o

A search for "Canon EOS 5DX" or "Canon EOS 5D X" does not produce any special message either. I think we can be reasonably sure what the next 5D will be called.  ;)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 12:30:21 PM by chriswatters »

Irishpanther

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 12:37:22 PM »
I'd guess this has been this way for a while.  I say that because I think it has nothing to do with the impending release of the new 5D.  Rather this is the sales version of Google autocorrect.  adding an extra 'i' at the end would be an easy typo, and so there are likely several "similar" items in their system that are set to trigger on certain searches in order to direct you to the correct product page.  Imagine wanting to buy a new 5D2, making that typo and being told they don't carry the item.  Lost sale!

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 12:47:46 PM »
I'd guess this has been this way for a while.  I say that because I think it has nothing to do with the impending release of the new 5D.  Rather this is the sales version of Google autocorrect.  adding an extra 'i' at the end would be an easy typo, and so there are likely several "similar" items in their system that are set to trigger on certain searches in order to direct you to the correct product page.  Imagine wanting to buy a new 5D2, making that typo and being told they don't carry the item.  Lost sale!

Ok, but this behavior is markedly different from searching T4i or 7D Mark II, both of which pull up the current versions of those cameras.  This specifically pulls up a highlighted text box (see below).  FWIW, searching the shorthand "Canon 5DIII" pulls up that same text box.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 12:51:50 PM »
With the launch less than a week away, leaks are beginning to appear.  It looks like it will be 5D X and not 5D MK III.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 12:51:50 PM »

lecoupdejarnac

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 01:00:17 PM »
What is really interesting about this, is if you enter "Canon 5D mark IIII", with 4 I's you get the same:

"We're sorry! B&H does not have any information posted for "Canon EOS 5D Mark III" at this time. See below results for CANON 5D MARK II "

It also happens for "Canon 5D mark IIIO".  It seems that the algorithm first auto-corrects this to "Canon 5D mark III" and this triggers the custom error message that someone has intentionally defined.

SeanL

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 01:05:21 PM »
What do you guys think of the new Canon 'X' name(s)?

Maybe a marketing bandwagon thing with the boom of Apple customers and OS X? Or maybe a quiet nod to the passing of Steve Jobs?

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2012, 01:22:08 PM »
I've seen rumors saying their are two things:

1.  the 10th generation of the EOS System.  (How they count generations is beyond me, there are lots of theories)

2.  The metger of the 7D and the 5D line into one body.

I expect we might see some more X's in the other categories if this is true.  10X, 100X, 1000X ??

Lyra Video Productions

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Lyra Video Productions
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2012, 01:43:48 PM »
I'm pretty positive I tried to search b&h for the 5d III before and got the same message.  And that was at least half a year ago...

bchernicoff

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • My Photos
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2012, 01:47:22 PM »
I've seen rumors saying their are two things:

1.  the 10th generation of the EOS System.  (How they count generations is beyond me, there are lots of theories)

2.  The metger of the 7D and the 5D line into one body.

I expect we might see some more X's in the other categories if this is true.  10X, 100X, 1000X ??

I think the first is referring to the 1D X.  That was language Canon used in its announcement.
6D, Fuji X-E1
Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, Canon 50mm f/1.2L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 400mm f/2.8L II, 100mm L IS Macro, Sigma 85mm, & 35mm f/1.4's, Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, Canon 2x Extender II, Kenko 1.4x, 430 EX II, Elinchroms

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2012, 01:47:22 PM »