April 18, 2014, 12:28:31 PM

Author Topic: 5dIII = 1ds mkIII THIS IS A GREAT DEAL! P.S. Is 1ds III a goner?  (Read 6139 times)

skoobey

5dIII = 1ds mkIII THIS IS A GREAT DEAL! P.S. Is 1ds III a goner?
« on: February 25, 2012, 08:07:26 AM »
So what happened here is that Canon supposedly hasn't yet finished developing a true successor to the 5d MKII, so they decide to rename and slash price of their current top-of-the line camera, as the 1dx is coming anyway?

I'll tell you, if this is the way you look at things, and I sure am looking at things that way, the 5dIII could be the camera I always wanted. A 1d body for the price and size of a 5d.

I never could afford a 1dsIII and it is the camera I truly desired to own, now at half price for a brand new body, it'll make me quite happy ;D.

canon rumors FORUM

5dIII = 1ds mkIII THIS IS A GREAT DEAL! P.S. Is 1ds III a goner?
« on: February 25, 2012, 08:07:26 AM »

Picsfor

Re: 5dIII = 1ds mkIII THIS IS A GREAT DEAL! P.S. Is 1ds III a goner?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 08:42:18 AM »
i think you'll find the 1DsIII has officially been a gonna for a while now.  ???

briansquibb

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 08:46:32 AM »

I never could afford a 1dsIII and it is the camera I truly desired to own, now at half price for a brand new body, it'll make me quite happy ;D.

A used 1Ds3 is a great camera - almost a sports version of the 5D2 with its full pro AF , 5fps and twin cards. Only limitiation is the max iso @3200 and at the price of a 5D2

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 11:20:18 AM »
I take your post to mean the 5DIII will essentially be a cheaper, smaller 1DsIII.  Even if Canon gives the 5D successor a much improved AF and a better frame rate, it won't be that.  Build quality, weather sealing, customizations (ability to set max/min aperture and shutter speed), flash sync speed, etc., will remain differentiators.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

CrimsonBlue

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 12:33:51 PM »
In 2 years, the 1Ds III will STILL be an amazing camera.  The other options out there don't change the fact that it has a great AF, great IQ, and all around great feeling. 

It's worth every penny -- especially as cameras with video capabilities start to dominate the market.  If you don't need that, buy 2 of them!  :P
1Ds III • 5D II • 50mm f/1.2L • 85mm f/1.2L • 24-70mm • 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II

briansquibb

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 02:05:33 PM »
In 2 years, the 1Ds III will STILL be an amazing camera.  The other options out there don't change the fact that it has a great AF, great IQ, and all around great feeling. 

It's worth every penny -- especially as cameras with video capabilities start to dominate the market.  If you don't need that, buy 2 of them!  :P

Indeed - I have taken this path. Even good for wildlife.  Nothing beats a full picture with 21mp of top IQ - attached is from yesterday

1Ds3, 400/f2.8 + 2x @f/5.6. 1/500, iso400

« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 02:07:43 PM by briansquibb »

skoobey

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 03:48:24 PM »

They also don't change the fact that it's 7000 euros. And if I'm being paid 100 euros a shoot, how many years would it take for me to save enough money for one?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 03:48:24 PM »

briansquibb

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2012, 04:42:43 PM »

They also don't change the fact that it's 7000 euros. And if I'm being paid 100 euros a shoot, how many years would it take for me to save enough money for one?

Used in the UK they are now about 2000 euros - about the same prince as a new 5DII, and you get a better camera if high iso is not an issue

Mt Spokane Photography

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2012, 04:45:39 PM »

Used in the UK they are now about 2000 euros - about the same prince as a new 5DII, and you get a better camera if high iso is not an issue

If you can get 1DS III for that price, scoop them up.  Your price sounds like a 1D MK III price over here.

skoobey

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2012, 04:56:35 PM »

If you'd be nice enough to link me towards classified adds, or ebay etc. where there are used 1ds's at that price, I'd be thankfull. 1ds mk II goes for 2000 here.

briansquibb

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2012, 04:59:36 PM »

If you'd be nice enough to link me towards classified adds, or ebay etc. where there are used 1ds's at that price, I'd be thankfull. 1ds mk II goes for 2000 here.

1Ds2 are about 1200 euros here

Mt Spokane Photography

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2012, 05:03:48 PM »
Adorama has 1DS MK III in stock for $USD 6999.

http://www.zoolert.com/canon-eos-1ds-mark-III-in-stock-tracker/

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2012, 05:07:41 PM »

That's one damn fine image, Brian!!
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2012, 05:07:41 PM »

briansquibb

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2012, 05:09:24 PM »
There are so few 1Ds3 on the market that the market price varies enormously. I paid £1950 for mine yet you see then up to £3000

I see used 1D4 have started to come down. I paid £2900 for mine in September - but now they are starting to be seen at about £2700 (in ++++ condition)

If I see a good 1D4 or 1Ds3 I might be tempted buy it for a backup and sell the 5DII

bdeutsch

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
    • Gotham Family Photos
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2012, 05:10:53 PM »

1Ds2 are about 1200 euros here

Nearly every used 1Ds3 on ebay right now is going for about US $5000 or more.   Nobody is going to sell that camera (new or used) for anywhere near the price of a 5dm3 / 5dmx.

Actor Headshots NYC | Gotham Family Photos | NY Wedding Photos

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2012, 05:10:53 PM »