October 22, 2014, 12:55:34 AM

Author Topic: Do you think the 5DmkIII sensor will have the same technology as the 1DX's?  (Read 3922 times)

Stvx

Many hope to get the same technology both in the 1DX and the 5D MKIII/X; What do you believe?

canon rumors FORUM

PeteG

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
I hope so, they both should use the same sensor (I would hope). I don’t mind the rumored 22mp but the 5DX has to have great DR/ISO performance.

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
I hope so, they both should use the same sensor (I would hope). I don’t mind the rumored 22mp but the 5DX has to have great DR/ISO performance.

I really hope so too, while I really like the 5D2 image quality you can never have too much DR and iso capability :)
oh and I really hope there ia a no AA filter option
APS-H Fanboy

RedEye

I really hope so too, while I really like the 5D2 image quality you can never have too much DR and iso capability :)

YES, Please no AA filter!  +10!

wickidwombat

• View Profile

i wonder if they will see reason and do it? do you think they will put a price premium on it like nikon did? another $300?
APS-H Fanboy

CrimsonBlue

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Echoing the other threads on this topic  ::)  it is highly unlikely.  You need to give enough reason for buyers to choose between the 5D X and the 1D X.  The other differences besides AF would never command an extra $3300. 

Yes, we'd all love for Canon to make the two systems identical, but then they might as well do it for the 70D and next Rebel.  The lines have to be split up somehow.
1Ds III • 5D II • 50mm f/1.2L • 85mm f/1.2L • 24-70mm • 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II

archangelrichard

I doubt it

The cost to make that sensor is likely high, higher than they want for the 5D Mk III / X; I also doubt they woul use 2 Digic 5+ on it as well (again cost)

I think it more likely they will have a higher pixel count than the existing Mk II with a single Digic 5+; the 5D price point is for a higher pixel count FF sensor camera; that is the market at that price

canon rumors FORUM

Old Shooter

• Canon 70D
  • Never met a gadget I didn't like!
    • View Profile
It seems, to my caveman algebraic brain, that sensor size is the balancing variable to other specs they deem more important...

For example, the marketing guys/design team want the 1DX to handle 14 FPS... They decide to run two Digic 5+ processors with a separate Digic 4 just for AF and metering... So they go to the EE's and say, "14 FPS, two Digic 5+'s...what is the largest FF sensor that this arrangement can handle?" The EE's pick up their slide rules and come back with an 18MP solution...

Same with the 5DX...  "OK, guys, we want 7 FPS, and we only want to run one Digic 5...what is the largest FF sensor that this arrangement can handle?" They come back with a 22MP solution...

That's one of the reasons you can get 60MP+ resolution with 16-bit color on MF; they accept 1 FPS in exchange for IQ...
5DIII, XSi, A2, 10s (x2), 20-35L, 24-70L II, 28-70L, 70-200L, 70-200L IS II, 85L II, 135L, 40 Pancake, 50 Macro, 100 Macro, 135 Soft-Focus, Crappy EF-S Kit Lens, 430EX II, Metz 45 CL-4, Metz 60 CT-4 (x2), White Lightnings, and lots of other junk...

wickidwombat

• View Profile
It seems, to my caveman algebraic brain, that sensor size is the balancing variable to other specs they deem more important...

For example, the marketing guys/design team want the 1DX to handle 14 FPS... They decide to run two Digic 5+ processors with a separate Digic 4 just for AF and metering... So they go to the EE's and say, "14 FPS, two Digic 5+'s...what is the largest FF sensor that this arrangement can handle?" The EE's pick up their slide rules and come back with an 18MP solution...

Same with the 5DX...  "OK, guys, we want 7 FPS, and we only want to run one Digic 5...what is the largest FF sensor that this arrangement can handle?" They come back with a 22MP solution...

That's one of the reasons you can get 60MP+ resolution with 16-bit color on MF; they accept 1 FPS in exchange for IQ...

No no no. they went to their marketing guys and said "what's the spec list thats going to cause the most contraversy, divide all the existing user base, cause the most people to get upset and generate a 50 page thread on canon rumours... :P
APS-H Fanboy

Old Shooter

• Canon 70D
  • Never met a gadget I didn't like!
    • View Profile

No no no. they went to their marketing guys and said "what's the spec list thats going to cause the most contraversy, divide all the existing user base, cause the most people to get upset and generate a 50 page thread on canon rumours... :P

How could I have missed that?!?  :o

Yes, you are absolutely correct!  ;D
5DIII, XSi, A2, 10s (x2), 20-35L, 24-70L II, 28-70L, 70-200L, 70-200L IS II, 85L II, 135L, 40 Pancake, 50 Macro, 100 Macro, 135 Soft-Focus, Crappy EF-S Kit Lens, 430EX II, Metz 45 CL-4, Metz 60 CT-4 (x2), White Lightnings, and lots of other junk...

Flake

It would be nice to think that the two were the same, or the 5D MkII would be slightly better as it's younger and can benefit from the advances made in the 1Dx, but then I wonder about the 4MP difference in the two and why they didn't use the same sensor in both cameras.  Maybe they couldn't quite stretch to the very high frame rate with 22MP.

With the 5D MkIII I don't believe that fps has been a consideration other than that it needs to be at least better than the MKII.  Perhaps the question for this thread should have been 'what was the design criteria which was set for the 5D MkII replacement'?  For certain it wasn't to produce a very high MP sensor, it's three years since the 5D MkII sensor was launched and technology has moved on a lot since them, I'm sure we will be very pleased when it finally does arrive.

NotABunny

Why would Canon (or anyone else) have any sort of need to differentiate camera bodies with sensor technology. The people who buy this sort of cameras are people who buy them to use them, not be amazed by the price that they can afford to pay, or by the technology that they have and the mortals can't afford.

Canon / Nikon / Sony make money through mass production. Take nikon's D4 and D800. Nikon says that D800 production will be 6 times that of D4. That is, they expect to sell 6 times more D800s than D4s. At half the price, that makes 3 times the revenue. They don't care about differentiation because more people buy the lower priced body.

Also, the price of having sensors with (truly) different technologies is simply too high to justify bothering with it. Production of high precision mechanics is far-far-far more expensive than mass production of microchips. A 1D body is, as Canon has put it, a high precision mechanism.

In fact, I say that 5D3 will have better sensor technology than 1DX... but that only shows that the question and its intended meaning are conflicting. Each camera will have the technology for the intended purpose.

If you are implying that one of the cameras will have worse looking images than the other... the question is - in what context? Noise level, noise characteristics, photos, movies, usage of more stable and more expensive materials?

Consider that the rumored maximum analog ISO for 5D3 is 25600, for 1 DX is 51200. However, Canon has implied that 1 DX has 2 extra stops better noise due to the noise reduction. Since 1 DX has two image processors, it's reasonable to think that the extra stop comes from the noise reduction power given by the extra processor.

So, based on no physical evidence, I say that the noise levels for the two cameras will be similar for the same ISO.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 07:12:23 AM by NotABunny »

Circles

Agreed!!!

canon rumors FORUM