April 20, 2014, 09:47:56 AM

Author Topic: can you help me decide on a few lenses  (Read 1273 times)

tarty01

can you help me decide on a few lenses
« on: February 27, 2012, 05:11:24 PM »
i need to buy some lenses for my new 5d mark 2

i know this question has been asked hundreds of times ...
what lenses should i get for a 5d mark 2?  i would like to keep it to a minimum of 2 or 3 lenses
and have somewhat of a good range in lenses

i was thinking of these:

EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM
EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM
EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM

i like to photograph family, my toddler, landscapes, architecture

thanks

canon rumors FORUM

can you help me decide on a few lenses
« on: February 27, 2012, 05:11:24 PM »

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: can you help me decide on a few lenses
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 05:49:02 PM »
i need to buy some lenses for my new 5d mark 2

i know this question has been asked hundreds of times ...
what lenses should i get for a 5d mark 2?  i would like to keep it to a minimum of 2 or 3 lenses
and have somewhat of a good range in lenses

i was thinking of these:

EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM
EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM
EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM

i like to photograph family, my toddler, landscapes, architecture

thanks

You picked some good options, but the 85L is kind of an odd man out in this comparison.  I have the 16-35/85 and I've owned several 24-70s.  That being said, I'd scratch the 85L II off the bat, it's more of a specialty lens.  Don't get me wrong, it produces incredible images and I love it, just not as a first lens. 

If I were you I'd go for the 24-70mm, it's the most versatile of the bunch and a very popular walk around lens.  The 16-35mm is great too, but very, very wide, I think you may feel somewhat limited by it.  You mentioned landscapes and architecture, so I would try out some lens with a 24mm focal length and get a feel for whether or not 24mm is wide enough for you, and if it is I'd go for it.   
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 05:50:56 PM by Axilrod »
5DIII/5DII/Bunch of L's and ZE's, currently rearranging.

jwong

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 06:00:05 PM »
You picked some good options, but the 85L is kind of an odd man out in this comparison.  I have the 16-35/85 and I've owned several 24-70s.  That being said, I'd scratch the 85L II off the bat, it's more of a specialty lens.  Don't get me wrong, it produces incredible images and I love it, just not as a first lens. 

If I were you I'd go for the 24-70mm, it's the most versatile of the bunch and a very popular walk around lens.  The 16-35mm is great too, but very, very wide, I think you may feel somewhat limited by it.  You mentioned landscapes and architecture, so I would try out some lens with a 24mm focal length and get a feel for whether or not 24mm is wide enough for you, and if it is I'd go for it.

+1.  85L II is a specialty lens.  16-35 and 24-70 are good choices.  I'd suggest getting a 70-200 or 70-300 before the 85L II. 

Mt Spokane Photography

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 06:08:40 PM »
It would be difficult to suggest a lens without knowing your  experience and other equipment such as lighting.

I'd say just buy the kit with 24-105mm L.  Its excellent and a very good deal.  Then add two primes to deal with special situations,  35mm L 85mm f/1.8 or the L.

Make sure you have the proper flashes or other lighting, when indoors all that money spent on camera and lenses will not remove shadows or poor lighting.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 06:20:43 PM »
Is this your first dSLR?  Did you get the 24-105 kit lens or not? 

Regardless, if you're asking a basic question like this, I'd say get a standard zoom - 24-70L or 24-105L - and shoot for a while.  Figure out if you need longer, wider, or faster, and in which order, then add lenses.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

unfocused

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 06:26:57 PM »
All good advice. Especially the idea of getting comfortable with your camera and your skills before investing too heavily.

Eventually, you may find you want to add a short telephoto (such as the 70-200mm f4) to your kit. It's great for outdoor candid shots of kids. You can capture them playing in the backyard, park, etc. without being too intrusive. A good opportunity to catch them in a natural environment, rather than posing (which toddlers tend to do once they get used to you shoving a camera in their faces).
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

tarty01

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 10:42:59 PM »
thank you all for your advice

i have been using point and shoots and my latest has been a canon s95
i have been using a friend's rebel t3i
and before all that ... 35mm film slr

i have decided i needed to buy my own dslr
i didnt want to have to tote around an slr again ... but some things just cant be done with point and shoots

i will go for the 24-70

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 10:42:59 PM »

dirtcastle

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • Eric Nord Flickr Page
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 10:57:57 PM »
For a beginning photographer, you are looking at some serious pro gear!! :-) Lucky you!!

A 50mm f/1.4 was what really opened my eyes to photography. Zooms are versatile, but shooting in the < f/2 range is it's own special type of photography. Plus, fast primes open up a lot of indoor  and low light photography that will stretch the limits of even an f/2.8.

For me, having a single prime is more fun for me than having tons of focal length range above f/2.8.

But it really does depend on what you want to shoot, and what types of lighting situations you will be in.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 12:05:28 AM by dirtcastle »

wickidwombat

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2012, 11:08:57 PM »
another vote here for the 50 f1.4 especially for chasing that toddler around,

it's really small and light weight so makes the whole setup a little more responsive than the much bigger lenses

you can get a ebay copy hood for a couple of buck for them to project the lens from any knocks and keep any flare away
APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2012, 11:08:57 PM »