Rumors > Speedlites, Printers, Accessories

Canon 5D MK ll grip with AA's

(1/2) > >>

rlarsen:
Does anyone have experience using AA's in the 5D MK ll grip instead of two LP-E6 batteries.
I'd like to use 6 Powerex AA's and recharge as needed instead of ordering a 2nd LP-E6.
Any comments ?
Thanks
Rex

neuroanatomist:
Depends on the AA battery used.  Alkalines will be terrible (far fewer shots than even a single LP-E6).  The Powerex NiMH will be ok, although you may have issues as the batteries get low (Li-ion has a slower but very stable discharge rate, whereas NiMH have a faster discharge rate, but put out less power when their charge gets low).  A pair of LP-E6 batteries will last substantially longer than 6 NiMH AA cells.  The other disadvantage to the AA's is that you'll have no battery status indicator to know when you need to recharge - the camera will just suddenly stop working at some point.

All things considered, I'd be inclined to get the second LP-E6, or just run with a single LP-E6 in the grip, and use the AA cells in 'emergencies' only.

flanniganj:

--- Quote from: neuroanatomist on February 27, 2012, 01:40:49 PM ---Depends on the AA battery used.  Alkalines will be terrible (far fewer shots than even a single LP-E6).  The Powerex NiMH will be ok, although you may have issues as the batteries get low (Li-ion has a slower but very stable discharge rate, whereas NiMH have a faster discharge rate, but put out less power when their charge gets low).  A pair of LP-E6 batteries will last substantially longer than 6 NiMH AA cells.  The other disadvantage to the AA's is that you'll have no battery status indicator to know when you need to recharge - the camera will just suddenly stop working at some point.

All things considered, I'd be inclined to get the second LP-E6, or just run with a single LP-E6 in the grip, and use the AA cells in 'emergencies' only.

--- End quote ---

Agreed. I keep the carriage and extra AAs with me for emergencies only. Otherwise, its strictly the Li-Ion batteries.

Mt Spokane Photography:
If you get caught with no charged li-on batteries, you can buy AA's.  Thet will have a short live, but better than nothing at all.  I would not plan to use AA rechargables due to the shorter life, and its expensive to carry two dozen around for years just in the event you might need them.

vbi:
I use the grip with just one LP-E6...works perfectly.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version