July 24, 2014, 11:54:03 PM

Author Topic: Canon 5D MK ll grip with AA's  (Read 3155 times)

rlarsen

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
Canon 5D MK ll grip with AA's
« on: February 27, 2012, 12:49:29 AM »
Does anyone have experience using AA's in the 5D MK ll grip instead of two LP-E6 batteries.
I'd like to use 6 Powerex AA's and recharge as needed instead of ordering a 2nd LP-E6.
Any comments ?
Thanks
Rex

canon rumors FORUM

Canon 5D MK ll grip with AA's
« on: February 27, 2012, 12:49:29 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: Canon 5D MK ll grip with AA's
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 01:40:49 PM »
Depends on the AA battery used.  Alkalines will be terrible (far fewer shots than even a single LP-E6).  The Powerex NiMH will be ok, although you may have issues as the batteries get low (Li-ion has a slower but very stable discharge rate, whereas NiMH have a faster discharge rate, but put out less power when their charge gets low).  A pair of LP-E6 batteries will last substantially longer than 6 NiMH AA cells.  The other disadvantage to the AA's is that you'll have no battery status indicator to know when you need to recharge - the camera will just suddenly stop working at some point.

All things considered, I'd be inclined to get the second LP-E6, or just run with a single LP-E6 in the grip, and use the AA cells in 'emergencies' only.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

flanniganj

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 04:42:14 PM »
Depends on the AA battery used.  Alkalines will be terrible (far fewer shots than even a single LP-E6).  The Powerex NiMH will be ok, although you may have issues as the batteries get low (Li-ion has a slower but very stable discharge rate, whereas NiMH have a faster discharge rate, but put out less power when their charge gets low).  A pair of LP-E6 batteries will last substantially longer than 6 NiMH AA cells.  The other disadvantage to the AA's is that you'll have no battery status indicator to know when you need to recharge - the camera will just suddenly stop working at some point.

All things considered, I'd be inclined to get the second LP-E6, or just run with a single LP-E6 in the grip, and use the AA cells in 'emergencies' only.

Agreed. I keep the carriage and extra AAs with me for emergencies only. Otherwise, its strictly the Li-Ion batteries.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 05:15:36 PM »
If you get caught with no charged li-on batteries, you can buy AA's.  Thet will have a short live, but better than nothing at all.  I would not plan to use AA rechargables due to the shorter life, and its expensive to carry two dozen around for years just in the event you might need them.

vbi

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 06:16:45 PM »
I use the grip with just one LP-E6...works perfectly.
All politicians are scum
5D3, 5D2, 7D and too many lenses

Del

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 06:48:07 PM »
I've been using the new Sanyo Eneloop AA Ni-mh rechargeables in my 7D grip for the last two weeks and was amazed at just how long they lasted, especially compared to Alkalines which just dropped 50% of their power after 30 mins.

I got several hundred pictures + a lot of live view + a lot of chopping n' changing with camera/menu settings (as I was shooting mainly indoor with flash + some outdoor painting with light and stroboscopic 'Matrix-movie' type stuff) before the Eneloops died and they did so without any warning as Neuro said.

I kept checking the Battery Info every day to see if the charge display changed and it always read 'full' right up to a short while before the power went off and it read 50% full, so there was some warning.

Just FYI, I fully charged the Sanyo's before use and even though they're rated 1.2V 2000 mAh, I had them all at 1.48V to 1.5V with 2100+ mAh. Immediately after they died I put them into the battery charger and they still had about 20% capacity, but the critical factor was the Voltage - they'd all dropped below 1.18V.

By the way I have 5 x LP-E6 battery packs, but I wanted to see how the new low self-discharge AA cells fared and I have to say they stack up pretty well, lasting as long as the LP-E6 as far as I can make out.

From a cost-benefit perspective, they're a lot cheaper than multiple LP-E6s, I mean 16xAA's on Amazon cost me less than 24 British Pounds (a little more than US$32 or 2 bucks a piece), so 6 Eneloops cost me about the same as 1 x LP-E6 clone. That ain't bad.

takoman46

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 07:31:11 PM »
I haven't used the AA battery carriage because the first thought that came to me was the increased weight of 6 AA batteries compared to running 2 LP-E6 batteries.  I also use Sanyo eneloops AA's for my speedlites and their performance was  big improvement over the NiMH Energizers I was using before so I can see that they might last decently to power the body.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 07:31:11 PM »

TexPhoto

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 07:31:55 PM »
I've shot 2000+ photos on a single LP-E6 more than once, it's tough to wear one out on a single shoot.  I'd just use the AA's as a back-up, or better yet, get a second LP-E6.

Del

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2012, 07:58:09 PM »
+1 on using the AAs as a back-up.

The big problem with LP-E6 is whether to go for genuine Canon @ US$120 each in my local store (see link below)

http://www.connscameras.ie/canon-lpe6-lithium-ion-battery/4960999627472pd.html

...or go for cheap Chinese knock-off clones that may or may not be good (are they really 1.2V 1800 mAh??)

...or opt for extremely reliable well known brand of AA Nickel-Metal Hydrides for a fraction of the cost?

I use the Sanyo Eneloops in my flashgun + my TD-381 battery pack and they're simply unbeatable, plus I've lots of them in little easy-to-carry slim plastic cases (4 x AA per case) that slot into side pockets of my camera bag.

If price is not an issue then by all means get more LP-E6 packs, but if you're shooting documentary videos you will burn through 2 x LP-E6s after 2 hours continuous shooting. I tried 8 hours of shooting in a hotel conference room that I'd booked for the day and my 5 x LP-E6s ran out (couldn't charge them fast enough). A dozen AA Alkalines got me across the line.

Bottom line: I now use AA Ni-mh in my camera grip (LP-E6 as back-ups) as well as my Zoom H4n audio recorder, my Sony mics, my flashgun, my flash battery pack, my emergency pack for my iPhone etc. All are interchangeable - the LP-E6 packs only work in my camera.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2012, 07:58:09 PM »