May 24, 2018, 06:43:18 AM

Author Topic: The new 5D Mark III ?!?! PICS!  (Read 239928 times)

noodle

Re: The new 5D Mark III ?!?! PICS!
« Reply #330 on: February 28, 2012, 08:56:33 PM »
welcome back cr guy
hope your trip wasnt cut short for any bad reasons...
i think this is what Canon wants everyone to be on pins and needles...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #330 on: February 28, 2012, 08:56:33 PM »

Fairbanks

« Reply #331 on: February 28, 2012, 09:12:51 PM »
A few thoughts.

1.  The original poster is likely the actual possessor of the camera. There simply can't be that many 5DIII's floating around Dubai. If Canon wanted to find the mole, it could do so and I'm certain Canon's NDA's are watertight and have severe consequences for breach. Whoever actually possesses this camera obviously has a strong relationship with Canon. Why would that person risk ruining that relationship and potentially drawing a lawsuit?

Answer: The OP got special dispensation from Canon for an authorized leak of limited photos. This leak has really told us nothing other than the name of the camera, but it sure has ginned up excitement and given Canon a ton of free PR. The OP claims it's his friend's camera as that prevents any specs or further details from coming out. But no question - he's working with Canon to get the internet buzzing in advance of Friday.

2. On whether to buy this new thingy: I'm a recreational shooter and own a 5DII. Do I need a 5DIII? No. Can I afford a 5DIII? Probably, but not without a fair amount of sacrifice. But, dang, I'll probably buy one eventually, so might as well snap it up and put it on the credit card. ;D

heron88

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
« Reply #332 on: February 28, 2012, 09:27:59 PM »
Completely agree with the above. I'm a strong believer in controlled leaks. If I ran a corporation like Canon or Nikon, I would definitely utilize controlled leaks as a free mass marketing and hype generator

pachelbelscanon5d

« Reply #333 on: February 28, 2012, 09:28:30 PM »
I couldn't agree more with Fairbanks.  It seems fairly obvious that these photos were leaked intentionally from Canon.  Like he said, there are a VERY limited number of these Cameras out in the world right now.  Probably under 20, definitely under 50.  Especially ones with the actual "5D Mark III" logo on them.  The NDA is of course water-tight.  Canon is a multi-national company with the top lawyers around.  The punishment for actually leaking something that you weren't supposed to would Me_Me_Me any personal advantage of helping out the "masses".  Canon did this for publicity, and it worked.   Canon nailed it.  They leaked some photos and got the buzz going.  Friday will be a very special day. 

flanniganj

« Reply #334 on: February 28, 2012, 09:30:05 PM »

2. On whether to buy this new thingy: I'm a recreational shooter and own a 5DII. Do I need a 5DIII? No. Can I afford a 5DIII? Probably, but not without a fair amount of sacrifice. But, dang, I'll probably buy one eventually, so might as well snap it up and put it on the credit card. ;D
Other than Canon, I'll bet no one is happier to see a product like this come out than Visa and Mastercard.

Justin

« Reply #335 on: February 28, 2012, 09:35:44 PM »
The way for Canon to make a splash here is simple, price.

Price it at $2699, just like the 5d2 at release. Drop the 5D2 to $1999. And voila. Loads of sales.

The thing that doesn't add up about the rumors is the price. $3500 is a lot of coin. The inclusion of the 24-105 kit lens in that price makes a lot more sense. So I imagine that's the deal.

melbournite

• EOS M5
    • Freelance Photographer Melbourne
« Reply #336 on: February 28, 2012, 09:37:00 PM »

That doesn't explain MichaelCruz though....argg this is exciting !

He said he was going on a photoshoot........ guess who got shot?!

Lol.  That was me who had the photoshoot the next day! And NOT with a 5dDIII either... darn!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #336 on: February 28, 2012, 09:37:00 PM »

marekjoz

• EOS 5DS R
    • marekjoz @flickr
« Reply #337 on: February 28, 2012, 09:39:17 PM »
Completely agree with the above. I'm a strong believer in controlled leaks. If I ran a corporation like Canon or Nikon, I would definitely utilize controlled leaks as a free mass marketing and hype generator

I couldn't agree more with Fairbanks.  It seems fairly obvious that these photos were leaked intentionally from Canon.  Like he said, there are a VERY limited number of these Cameras out in the world right now.  Probably under 20, definitely under 50.  Especially ones with the actual "5D Mark III" logo on them.  The NDA is of course water-tight.  Canon is a multi-national company with the top lawyers around.  The punishment for actually leaking something that you weren't supposed to would Me_Me_Me any personal advantage of helping out the "masses".  Canon did this for publicity, and it worked.   Canon nailed it.  They leaked some photos and got the buzz going.  Friday will be a very special day. 

i thought the same but I can't see any sense in such a leak:
1. They want announce on Friday or so soon - the more interest they would achieve if the would leak press invitations as well
2. They won't announce on Friday - dissapointment will be greater than current fascination - no win as well
flickr | youtube | 5D2, 50 F/1.4, 24-105 F/4 L IS, 300 F/4 L IS, x1.4 II

wookiee2cu

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #338 on: February 28, 2012, 09:43:26 PM »
The way for Canon to make a splash here is simple, price.

Price it at $2699, just like the 5d2 at release. Drop the 5D2 to $1999. And voila. Loads of sales.

The thing that doesn't add up about the rumors is the price. $3500 is a lot of coin. The inclusion of the 24-105 kit lens in that price makes a lot more sense. So I imagine that's the deal.
The 24-105 is too much money to do that, I could see the 28-135 or something close to that price range (although I'd be stoked if it was the 24-105).

D_Rochat

« Reply #339 on: February 28, 2012, 10:22:02 PM »
The 24-105 is too much money to do that, I could see the 28-135 or something close to that price range (although I'd be stoked if it was the 24-105).

Not really. You save a good deal by purchasing them together, so $3500 as a kit price could be fairly accurate. With the current Mark II/24-105, you save $500 in my area. We'll find out soon enough.

Jamesy

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #340 on: February 28, 2012, 10:27:08 PM »
(although I'd be stoked if it was the 24-105).

+1 - I think I would pick that up - I will need a walkaround zoom for the 5D3, although I have been toying with the idea of the 24-70II - it would likely be a ten year lens at least.

Jamesy

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #341 on: February 28, 2012, 10:28:00 PM »

Not really. You save a good deal by purchasing them together, so $3500 as a kit price could be fairly accurate. With the current Mark II/24-105, you save $500 in my area. We'll find out soon enough.

In Canada the 24-105 adds roughly $800 to the cost of a 5D2.

D_Rochat

« Reply #342 on: February 28, 2012, 10:32:24 PM »
I'm in Canada as well, so it sounds like pricing varies quite a bit depending on the region then.

EDIT - Actually, that's the same price as where I am. The body only is $2399.99 and the kit is $3199.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 10:37:57 PM by D_Rochat »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #342 on: February 28, 2012, 10:32:24 PM »

Jamesy

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #343 on: February 28, 2012, 10:38:37 PM »
I'm in Canada as well, so it sounds like pricing varies quite a bit depending on the region then.

Canadian prices here - roughly +$800 for the 5D2 kit:

Body only:
http://www.photoprice.ca/product/02699/Canon-EOS-5D-Mark-II-price.html

Kit:
http://www.photoprice.ca/product/02774/Canon-EOS-5D-Mark-II-with-EF-24-105-f4L-Kit-price.html

michaelrcruz

« Reply #344 on: February 28, 2012, 10:45:52 PM »
I was quite busy the past days and had very limited internet access.. I really dont have any further, information about the camera. Like all of you, I'm dying to know... Been waiting for this cam for over a year now...

I dont have access to the camera (how i wish!!) the one who supposedly have it posted this on his social media so he wishes to share it.. Whether it is with him or not we dont know. I know few people who knows him personally but they also havnt seen the cam yet.  He is not saying anything about it.. Just posted the pictures and thats it. Im sure he doesnt work for canon but who knows...

Sorry guys, i guess we have to wait for a few days to know :) do some photoshoot it makes time flies quickly! Im sure theres more to this camera that we dont know yet... I wish canon announce this thing already!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #344 on: February 28, 2012, 10:45:52 PM »