September 17, 2014, 07:42:30 AM

Author Topic: The new 5D Mark III ?!?! PICS!  (Read 137020 times)

DarkKnightNine

• EOS M2
  • The best camera is the one that's with you.
    • View Profile
    • Marven Payne Creative Visuals
Re: The new 5D Mark III ?!?! PICS!
« Reply #195 on: February 27, 2012, 11:07:46 PM »
Although personally I was hoping for a higher megapixel camera, I think a lot of people are going to be happy with this new 5D. For the most part, all 5D Mark II owners wanted was a camera with better AF performance and it seems like Canon has given them their wish.

It wasn't until we saw the D800 that we started to dream of 30+ megapixels, so Canon really did what they were supposed to do with the Mark III. And who knows, the Mark X may still be coming or Canon may have realized that 30+ megapixels is too much for a 35mm sensor and may give us a camera with a larger sensor.
Canon 1DX, Canon 5D Mark III, EF 85mm F1.2L II USM, EF 100mm F2.8L IS USM Macro, EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM, EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM, EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM, 600EX-RT Speedlites, Profoto Studio Strobes, and a whole lot of boat load of light modifiers.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #195 on: February 27, 2012, 11:07:46 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: February 27, 2012, 11:12:28 PM »
Canon still don't have a built-in eyepiece cover for the 5D line like the Nikon D700 - making you use that S___ty little rubber eyepiece cover that might be attached to your neck strap, if you use a neck strap.

It's for light leakage doing low-light long exposures. Star trails, Lee Big Stopper work especially. Read you camera manual about why it's useful, and in some cases required. Similarly it's why we use lens hoods. Not all light is good light.

Have you read the camera manual?  I'm guessing no, so you might want to take your own advice.  The manual states, "If you take a picture without looking at the viewfinder, light entering the eyepiece can throw off the exposure. To prevent this, use the eyepiece cover..."  What 'throw off the exposure' means is that the metering will be affected, not the image itself, directly.  As others have tried to explain, shooting in manual mode solves this problem - you set the exposure while looking through the VF to compose the shot, then when you step back to remotely trigger, light entering the VF is irrelevant since the exposure will not change in manual mode (assuming you've set your ISO to a specific value, on models which support Auto ISO in M mode). 

During the exposure, the reflex mirror (the 'R' in dSLR) is flipped up and completely blocks light entering the viewfinder from reaching the sensor. If your camera is leaking light during long exposures, you should send it to Canon Service, because light leakage sufficient to affect an image directly means a defective camera.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 11:21:17 PM by neuroanatomist »
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

HTCahHTC

« Reply #197 on: February 27, 2012, 11:14:08 PM »
Is anybody else as crazy as I am, and keep coming back to this site every hour to see if there is any new mentions?  ::)

Yes, I'm as crazy as you are.

count me in dudes. I'm one crazy anticipating asian.

drs

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: February 27, 2012, 11:15:19 PM »
5dm3 and the Aperture Preview button is gone or moved? The images indicate that it is gone from the previous position.

gbchriste

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: February 27, 2012, 11:21:36 PM »
Is it just me or does the "III" on the first pic look fake? Now the second pic looks more legit and on the third pic you really can't see it clearly. Either way I can't wait for March 2nd!!! Bring it baby!!  8)

I saw a similar comment earlier in the thread and frankly, I think this impression is just a result of some perspective distortion.  When you look at the more straight on images, it is clear that the III slightly wraps around the curved edge of the body.  Combine that curvature with the angles of both the imaged camera and imaging camera and that's probably what you get.

Blaze

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: February 27, 2012, 11:22:13 PM »
Where is the DOF preview button? Please tell me it's lockable...

The DOF preview on the 5DII a terrible implementation that made it more or less useless.

this was asked a few pages back.  Some have suggested that it may be the other side of the lens near the grip-similar to the 7D

The people suggesting that must not be familiar with the 7D.

The 7D has it on the same side as the flash button and lens release.

The 1DX however has various buttons on the other side.

Perhaps the 5DIII is similar.

JRS

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • Canon 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: February 27, 2012, 11:26:10 PM »
Canon 5D3 | 24-105L | 17-40L | 70-300L | 135L | TS-E 24L II | 50 1.4 | 15 2.8 Fisheye | 270EXII | 600EX-RT (x2) | ST-E3-RT

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #201 on: February 27, 2012, 11:26:10 PM »

Eric

« Reply #202 on: February 27, 2012, 11:29:24 PM »
It wasn't until we saw the D800 that we started to dream of 30+ megapixels, so Canon really did what they were supposed to do with the Mark III. And who knows, the Mark X may still be coming or Canon may have realized that 30+ megapixels is too much for a 35mm sensor and may give us a camera with a larger sensor.

I started dreaming back in 2007 when Canon prototyped a 50MP sensor, then again in 2010 when they prototyped a 120 MP APS-H. The D800 had nothing to do with it.

StevenBrianSamuels

« Reply #203 on: February 27, 2012, 11:41:39 PM »
Ditto.

Happy for those that want it...praying for the megamonster still.  I doubt very much it will ever get close to a MF camera (in terms outside of MPs), but it would help in the studio.  Maybe I wouldnt have to rent anymore...

Although personally I was hoping for a higher megapixel camera, I think a lot of people are going to be happy with this new 5D. For the most part, all 5D Mark II owners wanted was a camera with better AF performance and it seems like Canon has given them their wish.

maass

« Reply #204 on: February 27, 2012, 11:53:14 PM »
This images looks like the real deal guys! :D

Have a look at the second pic michaelrcruz has shown us, there are apparently 6 labels for the ports. The upper right port seems like a headphone jack to me.  What do you guys think?
Upper left seems to say MIC, but if anything top right would be a USB port... although it doesnt look like one at all.... come to that... where IS the USB port?

Here's the side port labels :D :

It has a AV OUT Digital port...is it Mini USB ??

Bucklers

« Reply #205 on: February 28, 2012, 12:02:51 AM »
Very interesting.

scott72

« Reply #206 on: February 28, 2012, 12:03:53 AM »
Is it just me or does the "III" on the first pic look fake? Now the second pic looks more legit and on the third pic you really can't see it clearly. Either way I can't wait for March 2nd!!! Bring it baby!!  8)

I saw a similar comment earlier in the thread and frankly, I think this impression is just a result of some perspective distortion.  When you look at the more straight on images, it is clear that the III slightly wraps around the curved edge of the body.  Combine that curvature with the angles of both the imaged camera and imaging camera and that's probably what you get.
Well Played!  :)

wookiee2cu

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: February 28, 2012, 12:15:28 AM »
I have to say I'm a little disappointed. Canon still don't have a built-in eyepiece cover for the 5D line like the Nikon D700 - making you use that S___ty little rubber eyepiece cover that might be attached to your neck strap, if you use a neck strap.

First chink the armor.

GRRRRRRR!!!!!

ummm... are you serious?  As a professional, I cant say i've ever in the last decade thought in the back of my mind... I wish my camera had an eyepiece cover... Never... Not once...  I think it could be a nuisance more than anything else... when I want my camera ready to shoot, it better be ready to shoot... If any dust gets in the peice, I'll take a qtip and clean it... done.

Sounds like you need to go back to camera school - it's nothing to do with dust. It's for light leakage doing low-light long exposures. Star trails, Lee Big Stopper work especially. Read you camera manual about why it's useful, and in some cases required. Similarly it's why we use lens hoods. Not all light is good light.

Can't remember if it was on my 10D or 40D canon neck strap that came with the camera but there was a little rubber rectangle on the portion you thread through the loops.  If you take the eye piece off the camera view finder that rubber rectangle has guides on it and you actually use it to cover the viewfinder and it caps it so there is no light leakage.  It's kind of a nuisance to have to remove that cover but it works.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #207 on: February 28, 2012, 12:15:28 AM »

DJL329

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: February 28, 2012, 12:29:16 AM »
This images looks like the real deal guys! :D

Have a look at the second pic michaelrcruz has shown us, there are apparently 6 labels for the ports. The upper right port seems like a headphone jack to me.  What do you guys think?
Upper left seems to say MIC, but if anything top right would be a USB port... although it doesnt look like one at all.... come to that... where IS the USB port?

Here's the side port labels :D :

It has a AV OUT Digital port...is it Mini USB ??

Most likely.  That's how it's labeled on some of the recent bodies, such as the 60D.  I'm not sure why Canon stopped using the standard USB logo, in favor of calling it A/V OUT Digital.  Perhaps some individuals were trying to plug in external devices, such as USB hard drives, and somehow causing problems/device failures.
Canon EOS 5D Mark III | EF 14mm f/2.8L | EF 28mm f/1.8 | EF 50mm f/1.4 | EF 85mm f/1.8 | EF 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro | EF 300mm f/4L IS

troy19

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: February 28, 2012, 01:19:12 AM »
I.E. a highly trained black ops extraction team flying in from Canon HQ tonight to disappear him and his lucky (while it lasted) friend early next morning.

;D ;D ;D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #209 on: February 28, 2012, 01:19:12 AM »