July 31, 2014, 09:14:37 PM

Author Topic: The new 5D Mark III ?!?! PICS!  (Read 134789 times)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: The new 5D Mark III ?!?! PICS!
« Reply #270 on: February 28, 2012, 10:21:36 AM »
i found a *very* illustrative sample from a test i did and added a rather normal example.

Interesting...thanks for sharing!  I'll give my 5DII a test with a long exposure, probably just with a lens cap so the image should be black except for light entering from somewhere other than the lens, then with/without the eyepiece covered.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #270 on: February 28, 2012, 10:21:36 AM »

hummingbird

« Reply #271 on: February 28, 2012, 10:30:22 AM »
Ok everybody, let's take a deep breath and say
'I must stop refreshing my browser every 2 minutes,
I must stop refreshing my browser every 2 minutes,
I must stop refreshing by browser every 2 minutes,
because I will bring the server down again'
 :)

hehehe!  I need the humor right now...things are so intense ;D ;D ;D

Steb

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: February 28, 2012, 10:50:31 AM »
When I use my camera on a tripod, I simply look through the viewfinder whilst metering and then press the shutter release to lock up the mirror and the exposure (you are all using mirror lockup, right?).  I can then take my picture after several seconds when all the vibrations have died down and when I judge it to be the decisive moment. 

If you want to moan at Canon for excluding a feature that Nikon has, then try the lack of a direct mirror lockup button (OK, so it's a minor annoyance and there are ways around it).

I thought the direct mirror lockup button is called live view.  ;)

Never used the original mirror lockup method hidden in the custom functions menu. In live view I can even visually control vibrations. Am I missing something?

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: February 28, 2012, 10:53:21 AM »
I thought the direct mirror lockup button is called live view.  ;)

Never used the original mirror lockup method hidden in the custom functions menu. In live view I can even visually control vibrations. Am I missing something?

Nope - in fact, Live View is even better because it uses an electronic first curtain, and that reduces the vibration even further than MLU alone.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

gputah

« Reply #274 on: February 28, 2012, 11:21:36 AM »
I was a bit bummed the site loaded so fast today :) It meant there wasn't any fresh news to report.... :(

Jamesy

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: February 28, 2012, 11:26:46 AM »
I was a bit bummed the site loaded so fast today :) It meant there wasn't any fresh news to report.... :(

Or maybe it is now powered by dual Digic 5's  ;)

gputah

« Reply #276 on: February 28, 2012, 11:32:07 AM »

Or maybe it is now powered by dual Digic 5's  ;)

I thought that at first, but then didn't see anything new and assumed the speed to mean less traffic... But I could be wrong? :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #276 on: February 28, 2012, 11:32:07 AM »

gputah

« Reply #277 on: February 28, 2012, 11:39:28 AM »
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say the OP is either dead, in prison, or is being threaten with one or the other by the canon black-ops guys...  :)

AlicoatePhotography

« Reply #278 on: February 28, 2012, 11:59:03 AM »
I would think that the power of a pending lawsuit is enough to quiet anyone up.  I would be too scared to divulge open information like that.  If I were his friend, I would be furious.  I loved seeing the pics though. Thank you!  I hope that your user id wasn't your real name, and that the discussion of your location was really just a cover up.  It is interesting that the left side of the camera was never shown.  Could it have something there that even you didn't want to give away?  Also there were no mention of any specs.  Just photos?  Maybe this was an inside job?  I hope so.  Thanks for the info and good luck!

Cinnamon

« Reply #279 on: February 28, 2012, 12:04:08 PM »
This is really exciting news! As the owner of a 5D Mk II and a 7D, I'd be interested to see if Canon does in fact merge the two lines - but even if they don't, I'm still interested in the improvements.

I may have to hold off on a 5D3/5DX because of the price, but it is exciting to hear about what this week has in store for CanonRumors addicts  :)

Steb

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: February 28, 2012, 12:21:26 PM »
Live View is even better because it uses an electronic first curtain, and that reduces the vibration even further than MLU alone.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I was not aware of this benefit of the silent mode feature. I found some nice sample pics here that make the difference quite clear:

http://krebsmicro.com/Canon_EFSC/index.html

2likru

« Reply #281 on: February 28, 2012, 12:29:36 PM »

During the exposure, the reflex mirror (the 'R' in dSLR) is flipped up and completely blocks light entering the viewfinder from reaching the sensor. If your camera is leaking light during long exposures, you should send it to Canon Service, because light leakage sufficient to affect an image directly means a defective camera.

No, not quite. Normally the mirror blocks enough light from the viewfinder, so that it is not seen in the picture. But if you use a filter like ND 3.0 or IR 720, which lets only 1/1000 of the light pass, the light from behind can be clearly seen in the pic, even with a non-defect-cam (on an IR-image it looks blue).

I've not done IR photography with digital, but I have done a fair bit of shooting with ND 3.0 filters (I have them in 77mm and 82mm sizes for various lenses), and I've certainly never 'clearly seen' any effect of light through the VF (I don't use a cover, because I'm shooting manually with the 10-stop ND).  When I shot IR-sensitive film back in the day, there was some light leakage - but the build quality of the cameras I could afford then was nowhere near today's standards for prosumer bodies.

Perhaps you could post an example of a shot taken with and without the eyepiece covered, during a long exposure with a 10-stop ND, to illustrate the point?  I'll try that, myself, too.

The main reason for the cropped camera is the extra reach for most people and a DX mode would solve this problem.
While I agree the reach is an important aspect and a crop format would be very helpful, I don't think it's the main reason. I think most people buy a crop sensor camera because it's cheaper. If you can afford both and then you choose the crop camera, sure, but most people would buy FF if they could, IMO.

I do agree that the main reason most people buy APS-C is becuase the cameras are cheaper.  But the question was for people who have a 7D and buy a 5DIII, would you sell the 7D - in that case, assuming the 7D isn't being sold only to cover the cost of the new body, the answer might be different.  I have both a 5DII and a 7D, and I'll replace the 5DII with a 1D X or maybe a 5DIII (depending on the real AF spec, mostly), but either way, I'll be keeping the 7D - in situations where you're focal length limited, a crop sensor is the second best solution (the best being buy longer lenses, but over 400mm gets $$$$, and the crop sensor is better than cropping a FF image down).  It all depends on the use case for the images, of course.  I've done detailed comparisons of the 5DII cropped image vs. the 7D in focal length limited situations, and the IQ is basically a wash.  But the 7D image is still 18 MP and can even be cropped further if necessary (which it often is), whereas the 5DII image cropped to the same AoV is only 8 MP, and while that might be sufficient, cropping further isn't such a good idea.

A 'DX mode' is only a solution if the FF sensor has sufficient resolution to support it - the 36 MP D800 yields a 15 MP DX image, whereas a 22 MP 5DIII would only yield an 8.5 MP image.  Also, a crop more presents problems for framing the image - with the masking, the VF image becomes very small, since there's no way to magnify the cropped portion to fill the VF.

I would definable sell my 7d for 5d3. I may even let it go for a 5d2 if its an even trade. The only reason I bought the 7d was because of price, wanting to control speedlites in camera, ergos,  and (to a lesser extent) auto focus. If the 5d2 was offered at the same price point as the 7d at the time I pulled the trigger, I would be using a 5d currently. I honestly think that crop sensor cameras only exist because of the price of full frame cameras and if the price of full frames ever came down below the $1500 mark, aps-c would disappear from the market. The ideal of crops offering more reach is an illusion. Even 8.5mp crops from a 22mp full frame image is plenty for me and how many wildlife shooters make huge prints from their crops? I'm sure there are some but are their really that many people doing that honestly? If Canon ever does make a full frame camera with equal pixel density to the 7d at the mid range price point, it will be interesting to see if people still buy aps-c cameras under the pretense of "reach".   

Chuck Alaimo

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Chuck Alaimo Photography
« Reply #282 on: February 28, 2012, 12:31:40 PM »
Are we there yet?  :D

Would the existing 7D users sell off your current 7D's after you buy the 5D3, if the AF of 5D3 can match the 7D?

Still unsure as to what my exact upgrade path will be (what will the price of the mkii be in a week vs when will the mkiii become available?)  Either way, I'd be more likely to pick up a mkii use it till end of fall then sell it and grab a mkiii (or better, get the mkiii then sell the mkii).

I'm not a wildlife shooter, but I can think of many reasons to keep the 7d.  As an emerging photog, I am working lots of events that don't exactly pay very well.  The 7D would be what i use for those (at one event, I had half a beer get spilled on my 7d, I almost decked the guy, but instead rushed to the bartender to get a rag).  Of course , the better solution would be to only work bigger better gigs.  But for now, it is what it is.  So the 7D would be a good backup cam to use in situations i'm not comfortable pulling the more expensive rig out.  I do also shoot a lot of live musid, and the extra reach of the crop sensor is great for catching the crisp closeup of a singer or the drummer way off at the back of the stage. 

I am really hoping that canon will preserve the 7d line and give it a super upgrade (imagine a pro level 7D, with 25+ MP priced at a cool $1900 for the body...)
Owns 5Dmkiii, 6D, 16-35mm, 24mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 85 mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8 macro, 1-600RT, 2 430 EX's, 1 video light

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #282 on: February 28, 2012, 12:31:40 PM »

drs

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: February 28, 2012, 12:37:16 PM »
Thanks to everyone who replied. Very nice of you. Sorry that I missed the earlier question about the DOF preview button.
Take care.

Where is the DOF preview button? Please tell me it's lockable...

The DOF preview on the 5DII a terrible implementation that made it more or less useless.

this was asked a few pages back.  Some have suggested that it may be the other side of the lens near the grip-similar to the 7D

The people suggesting that must not be familiar with the 7D.

The 7D has it on the same side as the flash button and lens release.

The 1DX however has various buttons on the other side.

Perhaps the 5DIII is similar.

JohnUSA

« Reply #284 on: February 28, 2012, 12:39:39 PM »
And I wonder where Michael Cruz went off to? He said that he was going to post more stuff, but now hes gone.

Michael now sleeps with the fishes.
-Yakuza

LMAO ;D ;D ;D But I thought revenge is a dish that tastes best when it's cold! 8)

In this case... revenge is a dish served cold... it's called Sushi... poor Michael!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #284 on: February 28, 2012, 12:39:39 PM »