April 19, 2014, 02:17:47 AM

Author Topic: The new 5D Mark III ?!?! PICS!  (Read 127122 times)

rgrphoto

Re: The new 5D Mark III ?!?! PICS!
« Reply #285 on: February 28, 2012, 12:47:34 PM »
Why do some people want the DOF preview button to be "lockable"? What application would that be useful? Macro? When the lens is stopped down enough to really see a difference in the VF the image is so dark unless I'm in bright sunlight I don't find it usable to see the change in DOF, not that I've ever needed it to be so I might be missing something.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 12:53:59 PM by rgrphoto »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #285 on: February 28, 2012, 12:47:34 PM »

kpk1

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: February 28, 2012, 01:20:42 PM »
The 5D3, on the specs, is one of the long awaited bodies that fulfills our requests as professionals.
Even the 1D X it's not that perfect due to its price.
The 5D had for each generation something innovatory. The 5D was the first low price FF. The 5D2 was the video DSLR that turned the world up side down. The 5D3 is not that innovatory maybe but it will be what photographers demanded for a long time.
Cross my fingers for the price.
I've already passed 24-70 to "at this price, no thank you" so a 5D3 hope to be the chosen.

Maybe the new "innovation" will be wireless transmission to your speed light or the new speed light coming out so off camera speed light(s) can be triggered from the camera w/o the use of pocket wizards and the like.  I do not think any camera has this as yet and last year I was talking to a photographer who uses the Canon's ST-E2 transmitter who said that that piece of equipment might become extinct when the Mark III eventually came out.

That would be awesome; even that last month I've switched to a bunch of five PW TT5.
5D2, Sigy 35/1.4

EYEONE

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: February 28, 2012, 01:32:53 PM »
Why do some people want the DOF preview button to be "lockable"? What application would that be useful? Macro? When the lens is stopped down enough to really see a difference in the VF the image is so dark unless I'm in bright sunlight I don't find it usable to see the change in DOF, not that I've ever needed it to be so I might be missing something.

I think having a "Toggle DOF" option in the custom functions would be nice. Even for portraits sometimes it'd be easier to test the background for multiple shots in the same location.
Canon 5D Mark III w/BG-E11, Canon 7D w/BG-E7: EF 24-70mm f.2.8L, EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS II, EF 40mm f2.8 Pancake STM, Speedlite 430EXII + 430EXI, Canon EOS 3

rgrphoto

« Reply #288 on: February 28, 2012, 01:44:40 PM »

I think having a "Toggle DOF" option in the custom functions would be nice. Even for portraits sometimes it'd be easier to test the background for multiple shots in the same location.
I thought that's what the DOF preview button did in the first place...? press it to get the preview then release it to go back to normal.

EYEONE

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: February 28, 2012, 02:02:48 PM »

I thought that's what the DOF preview button did in the first place...? press it to get the preview then release it to go back to normal.

That is what it does. But I was suggesting a custom option where pressing it would toggle the preview on and the aperture would stay stepped down until you pressed the button again.
Canon 5D Mark III w/BG-E11, Canon 7D w/BG-E7: EF 24-70mm f.2.8L, EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS II, EF 40mm f2.8 Pancake STM, Speedlite 430EXII + 430EXI, Canon EOS 3

necator

« Reply #290 on: February 28, 2012, 02:13:43 PM »
That is what it does. But I was suggesting a custom option where pressing it would toggle the preview on and the aperture would stay stepped down until you pressed the button again.

But for  what use? To always have a dark and unusable viewfinder?
But to be honest, I can live quite well without the DOF-preview. For me it's a nice feature for beginners, but if you have photographed a little, you'll know how it'll look (approximately).
But perhaps that just my fault having learned in the middle-ages where pictures still were analog ...

Mooose

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: February 28, 2012, 02:26:53 PM »

When I take pictures of the sun midday I burn my eyes looking in the viewfinder.
Canon 7d, 17-55 f2.8 IS, 100mm f2.8 macro, 70-200mm f4L IS , 70-200mm f2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L IS, 10-22mm f3.5-4.5

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #291 on: February 28, 2012, 02:26:53 PM »

EYEONE

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: February 28, 2012, 02:42:42 PM »

But to be honest, I can live quite well without the DOF-preview. For me it's a nice feature for beginners, but if you have photographed a little, you'll know how it'll look (approximately).
But perhaps that just my fault having learned in the middle-ages where pictures still were analog ...

But for what use?? Of course it has a use. It steps down the aperture so you can see how out of focus the background will be at f5 or f8 or any F stop. Shooting at f3.5 on a f2.8 lens and need to see if you have enough DoF to see if the subject's eyes and nose are in focus but still make sure the trees in the background are acceptably out of focus? Use the DoF button. Want to see how low of an F stop you can get away with on a landscape shot? Use the DoF button.

This is simple stuff. All DSLRs have them. And every film SLR I've used has DoF button too so it isn't anything new on a camera.

Arkarch

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: February 28, 2012, 02:44:54 PM »
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say the OP is either dead, in prison, or is being threaten with one or the other by the canon black-ops guys...  :)

I'll say intentional link.  The photographs were fairly well positioned with high value lenses + the 1DX and just the right level of interesting but not revealing detail cropped in.  Could be part of a marketing shoot that got "diverted". 

The Africa picture also felt a bit intentional - maybe just a "look over here at this time and you might see something" phone call.  As media, I have seen that by divisions or departments - not underwritten by corporate - to wage internal politics.

Even if its totally uncleared, at this time I would be surprised if anything came down.  Really, what did they divulge?   Existance?  That its a camera?  That it has a headphone jack?  What damage was caused?

Now, we got to get details.  That is harder.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 02:49:13 PM by Arkarch »
Landscape, Motorsports
5DIII, 7D, CPS Member
EF 300/2.8 II IS USM, ZE 21/2.8, ZE 50/2 ZE 100/2, TS-E 24/3.5, EF 70-200 f/2.8 IS USM II, EF 24-105 IS f/4, TC 1.4 III, TC 2.0 III

Jamesy

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: February 28, 2012, 02:51:24 PM »

When I take pictures of the sun midday I burn my eyes looking in the viewfinder.

"My eyes, the goggles, they do nothing....."

zackck

« Reply #295 on: February 28, 2012, 03:11:15 PM »
Does anyone thinks the camera shown in these pics looks a bit cheap? I prefer the "5D" logo plate on the Mark II better than this print plastic thingy. Maybe the new body won't be made of magnesium alloy anymore?

pakosouthpark

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: February 28, 2012, 03:17:03 PM »
we getting too close to friday 2nd, and not much yet.. at least pics of the hard body have been leaked.. but no press invitations!

for example Apple on Tuesday emailed invitations to members of the press for what is expected to be the launch of the iPad 3 on March 7..

gbchriste

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: February 28, 2012, 03:21:09 PM »
How's this for a consipiracy theory.  Canon intentionally leaks the photos and "release" date knowing they will stir the blogosphere into a wild feeding frenzy.  Then when the sharks are circling in for the kill, they clamp down really hard to seal off any more info getting out and let the "release" date pass with no announcement.  One week goes by, two week, maybe a month.  By then, all credibility in CR as a reliable source of Canon product information has been uterly destroyed.  Canon can now continue to operate securely in to the future knowing that anything that comes out on CR, regardlss of confidence level, will be completely dismissed out of hand.  (I don't really believe any of that.  Just thought I would throw a little blood in the water  ;))

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #297 on: February 28, 2012, 03:21:09 PM »

astrocrab

« Reply #298 on: February 28, 2012, 03:55:09 PM »
How's this for a consipiracy theory.  Canon intentionally leaks the photos ...
Then (Canon, I know you are reading this, so listen to me carefully) I will go to nearest shop and buy a Nikon.

Nikon

« Reply #299 on: February 28, 2012, 04:11:00 PM »
Then (Canon, I know you are reading this, so listen to me carefully) I will go to nearest shop and buy a Nikon.

Yup, I am with you there.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #299 on: February 28, 2012, 04:11:00 PM »