October 01, 2014, 02:09:41 AM

Author Topic: The new 5D Mark III ?!?! PICS!  (Read 137810 times)

astrocrab

Re: The new 5D Mark III ?!?! PICS!
« Reply #300 on: February 28, 2012, 04:15:29 PM »

Yup, I am with you there.
You are already a Nikon =)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #300 on: February 28, 2012, 04:15:29 PM »

gputah

« Reply #301 on: February 28, 2012, 04:18:03 PM »
How's this for a consipiracy theory.  Canon intentionally leaks the photos ...
Then (Canon, I know you are reading this, so listen to me carefully) I will go to nearest shop and buy a Nikon.

The D800 is the first Nikon camera to tempt me in a while... If canon were to do something like this, I would have to indulge temptation this time :)

astrocrab

« Reply #302 on: February 28, 2012, 04:19:53 PM »
Does anyone thinks the camera shown in these pics looks a bit cheap? I prefer the "5D" logo plate on the Mark II better than this print plastic thingy. Maybe the new body won't be made of magnesium alloy anymore?

Yes, label looks kinda cheap. but i think what a camera of $3.5k would not be made of plastic.

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: February 28, 2012, 04:21:24 PM »
I would think that the power of a pending lawsuit is enough to quiet anyone up.  I would be too scared to divulge open information like that.  If I were his friend, I would be furious.  I loved seeing the pics though. Thank you!  I hope that your user id wasn't your real name, and that the discussion of your location was really just a cover up.  It is interesting that the left side of the camera was never shown.  Could it have something there that even you didn't want to give away?  Also there were no mention of any specs.  Just photos?  Maybe this was an inside job?  I hope so.  Thanks for the info and good luck!

Based on pics like this, how could Canon track who it was? (unless there's just 1 pair of 1dx/5diii's in Dubai)
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 85mm L F/1.2 Mk. II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

Nikon

« Reply #304 on: February 28, 2012, 04:21:39 PM »
You are already a Nikon =)

I am not, I am all Canon.  I picked Nikon name because Canon was taken. I will do the same with my new FF camera, if Canon is not there I will pick Nikon ;)

astrocrab

« Reply #305 on: February 28, 2012, 04:26:44 PM »
Based on pics like this, how could Canon track who it was? (unless there's just 1 pair of 1dx/5diii's in Dubai)

How many 5d3 do you think there are in Dubai?

i doubt more then 3-4.

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: February 28, 2012, 04:36:18 PM »

How many 5d3 do you think there are in Dubai?

i doubt more then 3-4.

Well, thats a small enough number.... Off to the Principal's office!  :P
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 85mm L F/1.2 Mk. II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #306 on: February 28, 2012, 04:36:18 PM »

DavidRiesenberg

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • David Riesenberg
« Reply #307 on: February 28, 2012, 05:21:30 PM »
How's this for a consipiracy theory.  Canon intentionally leaks the photos and "release" date knowing they will stir the blogosphere into a wild feeding frenzy.  Then when the sharks are circling in for the kill, they clamp down really hard to seal off any more info getting out and let the "release" date pass with no announcement.  One week goes by, two week, maybe a month.  By then, all credibility in CR as a reliable source of Canon product information has been uterly destroyed.  Canon can now continue to operate securely in to the future knowing that anything that comes out on CR, regardlss of confidence level, will be completely dismissed out of hand.  (I don't really believe any of that.  Just thought I would throw a little blood in the water  ;))

The first part of your theory makes complete sense.
About the second part, I am positive that from Canon's perspective a site like this does a lot more good than harm. Let's face it, the harm is almost non-existent. It's not like Craig is posting roadmaps or detailed product specs years in advance or other information that competitors don't have. Most of the solid information comes very near to the announcement date and even then it's very limited in details.
On the other hand, a site like this generates ongoing "news" and brand coverage even when Canon don't have anything to announce or tell us. This kind of free and continuous publicity is priceless. Furthermore, I am positive that the buzz generated before an announcement, even if it "spoils" most of the surprises, is directly translatable to more preorder sales than if we just have waken up one day to a new model on the market.
So, in the end, while Canon might be a bit annoyed from time to time from this site, I am sure they know that they are better off with it on the air than not.

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: February 28, 2012, 05:25:37 PM »
How's this for a consipiracy theory.  Canon intentionally leaks the photos and "release" date knowing they will stir the blogosphere into a wild feeding frenzy.  Then when the sharks are circling in for the kill, they clamp down really hard to seal off any more info getting out and let the "release" date pass with no announcement.  One week goes by, two week, maybe a month.  By then, all credibility in CR as a reliable source of Canon product information has been uterly destroyed.  Canon can now continue to operate securely in to the future knowing that anything that comes out on CR, regardlss of confidence level, will be completely dismissed out of hand.  (I don't really believe any of that.  Just thought I would throw a little blood in the water  ;))

About the second part, I am positive that from Canon's perspective a site like this does a lot more good than harm. Let's face it, the harm is almost non-existent. It's not like Craig is posting roadmaps or detailed product specs years in advance or other information that competitors don't have. Most of the solid information comes very near to the announcement date and even then it's very limited in details.
On the other hand, a site like this generates ongoing "news" and brand coverage even when Canon don't have anything to announce or tell us. This kind of free and continuous publicity is priceless. Furthermore, I am positive that the buzz generated before an announcement, even if it "spoils" most of the surprises, is directly translatable to more preorder sales than if we just have waken up one day to a new model on the market.
So, in the end, while Canon might be a bit annoyed from time to time from this site, I am sure they know that they are better off with it on the air than not.

This place is free marketing for them
APS-H Fanboy

D_Rochat

« Reply #309 on: February 28, 2012, 06:00:18 PM »
I doubt that they'd be annoyed by this site. CR helps create a "buzz" for their up and coming products. Who knows how often Canon actually helps stir the pot as well.

AlicoatePhotography

« Reply #310 on: February 28, 2012, 06:01:03 PM »
All it takes though is for Canon to look up the OP and then send a "See you in court" letter.  Now you have to go out and get a lawyer, to fight this.  If Canon thinks they can prove that they were going to spend 20 Million on a worldwide marketing campaign to announce this camera, and it was disrupted significantly, or it made them look bad in the market place, don't you think they could go after some kind of damages? All I know is it would be a pain, win or lose.  People come to Craig with "info" and he publishes it.  It is different if you go and steal that info, and publish it.  I agree with the fact that they get a lot of Publicity and they should in fact feel honored that we all care so much.  My vote would be for them not to worry about it. I am a live and let live kind of guy.  But, there will be fewer undercover cameras going to Dubai next time.

gbchriste

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: February 28, 2012, 06:12:38 PM »

Like I said, I don't believe any of it.  I was just having a little fun.

This place is free marketing for them

marekjoz

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • marekjoz @flickr
« Reply #312 on: February 28, 2012, 06:16:43 PM »
All it takes though is for Canon to look up the OP and then send a "See you in court" letter.  Now you have to go out and get a lawyer, to fight this.  If Canon thinks they can prove that they were going to spend 20 Million on a worldwide marketing campaign to announce this camera, and it was disrupted significantly, or it made them look bad in the market place, don't you think they could go after some kind of damages? All I know is it would be a pain, win or lose.  People come to Craig with "info" and he publishes it.  It is different if you go and steal that info, and publish it.  I agree with the fact that they get a lot of Publicity and they should in fact feel honored that we all care so much.  My vote would be for them not to worry about it. I am a live and let live kind of guy.  But, there will be fewer undercover cameras going to Dubai next time.

No doubt - info about 5d successor can put a lot people on hold with preordering d800.
flickr | youtube | 5D2, 50 F/1.4, 24-105 F/4 L IS, 300 F/4 L IS, x1.4 II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #312 on: February 28, 2012, 06:16:43 PM »

Jamesy

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: February 28, 2012, 06:26:29 PM »
The D800 is the first Nikon camera to tempt me in a while... If canon were to do something like this, I would have to indulge temptation this time :)
Interesting you say this. The D800 has a pop up flash which is very intriguing to me. The pop up flash is nice in those situations when you need a touch of fill and don't have a 580 nearby.

The 36MP frightens me as that would implies upgrades to everything that touches the work-flow such as computer, storage, backup, etc...

Rishaar

« Reply #314 on: February 28, 2012, 06:39:44 PM »
This is exciting ehehe ;D
I love those conspiracy theories... and why not speculate ? This is a "Rumors" site after all 8)

I believe too CR is a good free marketing for Canon, no point in taking it down.
Those leaked pics could be inside job,very good timing just before D800 without revealing too much details either.

I have another theory, more simple but less likely:
My guess is that those pics are from the same batch than the "somewhere in africa" ones before. Same 1DX/5DM3 combo, same vague location but definitely with big blue sky and a lot of sand around.

What marked me in those pics before was the photographer wearing a Ricoh GR scarf, which could be odd if the guy is Canon staff and this is a PR photo op. Same goes for the Sigma lens on those new pictures. (ok, that could be on purpose to "prove" that it isn't a PR move...in this case i would applause !! ;D)

Maybe one good move from Canon would be to give their coming camera to field test to photographer who are NOT Canon fanboys expecting too much from the 5DM3, so they give objective opinion AND are not too keen to "leak" any details on rumors site because they just don't care that much. So no need to take a picture of any new feature or button, just a couple of front shots would be satisfying.
And they would be more likely to keep their NDA than anybody like us ahahah ;D

That doesn't explain MichaelCruz though....argg this is exciting !

« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 06:42:56 PM by Rishaar »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #314 on: February 28, 2012, 06:39:44 PM »