October 25, 2014, 11:23:35 AM

Author Topic: What is the latest for the 7Dmkii/70D?  (Read 5601 times)

crasher7

What is the latest for the 7Dmkii/70D?
« on: February 27, 2012, 09:28:02 PM »
There has been nada info since the CR1 about no 7Dmk2 and you would think there would be a bit of buzz about the possible 70D and it's specs. I'd be interested in the 70D if it had an improved AF over the 60D, took CF cards, had either a dual D-4 or a single D-5 processor, a mag body and hopefully, no on board flash. 1 custom mode would be good for me. All in all no matter what it's called, 7D2 or 70D I'd just like to see a new body for the top of the crops.

canon rumors FORUM

What is the latest for the 7Dmkii/70D?
« on: February 27, 2012, 09:28:02 PM »

x-vision

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
Re: What is the latest for the 7Dmkii/70D?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 10:19:43 PM »
I have a very strong feeling that we won’t see a 7DII.

Canon will keep selling the 7D at its current reduced price till the end of the summer.
Then the 70D will be announced and the 7D will be discontinued by the end of the year.

The 70D will have to compete with the D7000 and the NEX-7 (and their successors), so it will have to be spec’d and priced very competitively.
Thus, the 70D will inherit many of the advanced 7D features (19-point AF system, 100% viewfinder, etc.).
Some of the speed and ruggedness of the 7D will be lost, though.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 10:27:30 PM by x-vision »

tooslick2k

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 10:27:51 PM »

i agree... i think the 7D line is dead if the 5Dmk3 specs are true.  ;D

krjc

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 11:05:38 PM »
Sounds like the 7D if it has no direct replacement will remain a highly desirable camera. Somebody who wants a semi-pro crop will have no Canon alternative.
Now-> Cameras: 7D, 5D3, T4i, G12 Lens: 24-105, 10-22 EFS, 17-55EFS, 50 1.4, 100 2.8 macro IS, 70-200 2.8IS II, 100-400, TC 2 III, MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1-5x, 16-35 F4 L

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 11:08:36 PM »
I belive we will see it this fall.  Canon will not kill it off, there is a huge price differential between $1800 and $3500.  And, the 7D has sold well beyond Canon's expectations.

We need to first see a Nikon D300s replacement.  Then we will see a mark II. 

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 11:14:02 PM »
I belive we will see it this fall.  Canon will not kill it off, there is a huge price differential between $1800 and $3500.  And, the 7D has sold well beyond Canon's expectations.

We need to first see a Nikon D300s replacement.  Then we will see a mark II.

ditto this, all of this

I do think the crop line will have a shake up as there are too many models in a tight bracket of prices
I wouldnt be suprised to see a considerably higher mp crop sensor to compete against the sony nex etc too
maybe 27MP to trump the sony 24?

It will be interesting to see if canon can fix up the IQ issues that the current 18MP sensor has too
APS-H Fanboy

jrista

• EOL
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 11:14:50 PM »

Does everyone forget crop factor? The 5D III may be intriguing with its 61pt AF, assuming it has 7fps (if it turns out to be 4.5fps, its a damn shame and a waste of 61 AF points!), but its still full-frame. You lose a LOT of reach with full frame, and that necessitates vastly more expensive lenses to achieve the same reach (sometimes including a TC.) Slapping on a TC often pushes aperture past f/5.6, which then necessitates a 1D series body (which these days is only the 1D IV, which lists $5999.) Thats nothing to say of continuous frames, which at higher MP is going to be limited...with a 600x CF card my 7D pumps out 23-24 continuous frames at 8fps. I'd be surprised to see a higher resolution 22mp sensor achieve the same.

The 5D III is not a slam-dunk replacement for the 7D, especially at a price tag of $3500. Assuming street was as cheap as $3000, the 7D with its cropped sensor, weather sealing, pro-grade qualifications and $1400 street price still sits very pretty in Canon's lineup. When it comes to wildlife and bird photography, I won't be ditching my 7D for a 5D III on March 2nd...I need my reach!

The XXD line in Canon's lineup has never been considered a pro-grade body either. The uber shakeup of Canon's pro line doesn't quite seem to be materializing as some speculated, if the photos of an actual 5D Mark III are indeed real (they certainly look it.) There does not appear to be a merger of the 5D III and 7D II into the 5D X. That makes me skeptical that a 70D would suddenly become a pro-grade body with proper weather sealing, extensive pro features and body buttons, etc.

It's certainly a possibility, but I don't think the 7D is completely dead yet. You have to figure Canon has been working on the 1D X and 5D III for years as well...I'd imagine the 5D III R&D began shortly after the 5D II was released some three years ago. Why would they release the 7D in the interim, only to kill that brand new line of pro-grade bodies off a couple years later?

Elimination of the 7D just doesn't add up entirely yet...not at this stage in Canon's timeline.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 11:17:11 PM by jrista »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 11:14:50 PM »

wickidwombat

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 11:19:59 PM »
I think it will go something like this

7D mkII - king of crops - top build speed demon
70D - maintain its current build as a mid tier DSLR
650D- entry level

I think they will kill off the xxxxD line
especially with a mirrorless entry
just not sure where they will fit the mirrorless into the lineup
as the cost will be higher than xxxxD
maybe it will fit inbetween the 650D and 70D price wise

I still think canon really dropped the ball by not making an APS-H mirrorless for the canon mirroless debut (thats assuming the rumours of the APS-C mirrorless are correct)
APS-H Fanboy

adhocphotographer

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
    • An ad hoc photographer
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 05:28:01 AM »

Does everyone forget crop factor? The 5D III may be intriguing with its 61pt AF, assuming it has 7fps (if it turns out to be 4.5fps, its a damn shame and a waste of 61 AF points!), but its still full-frame. You lose a LOT of reach with full frame, and that necessitates vastly more expensive lenses to achieve the same reach (sometimes including a TC.) Slapping on a TC often pushes aperture past f/5.6, which then necessitates a 1D series body (which these days is only the 1D IV, which lists $5999.) Thats nothing to say of continuous frames, which at higher MP is going to be limited...with a 600x CF card my 7D pumps out 23-24 continuous frames at 8fps. I'd be surprised to see a higher resolution 22mp sensor achieve the same.

The 5D III is not a slam-dunk replacement for the 7D, especially at a price tag of $3500. Assuming street was as cheap as $3000, the 7D with its cropped sensor, weather sealing, pro-grade qualifications and $1400 street price still sits very pretty in Canon's lineup. When it comes to wildlife and bird photography, I won't be ditching my 7D for a 5D III on March 2nd...I need my reach!

The XXD line in Canon's lineup has never been considered a pro-grade body either. The uber shakeup of Canon's pro line doesn't quite seem to be materializing as some speculated, if the photos of an actual 5D Mark III are indeed real (they certainly look it.) There does not appear to be a merger of the 5D III and 7D II into the 5D X. That makes me skeptical that a 70D would suddenly become a pro-grade body with proper weather sealing, extensive pro features and body buttons, etc.

It's certainly a possibility, but I don't think the 7D is completely dead yet. You have to figure Canon has been working on the 1D X and 5D III for years as well...I'd imagine the 5D III R&D began shortly after the 5D II was released some three years ago. Why would they release the 7D in the interim, only to kill that brand new line of pro-grade bodies off a couple years later?

Elimination of the 7D just doesn't add up entirely yet...not at this stage in Canon's timeline.

+1...  i agree... 

There is a market for cropped pro-grade camera... I have a freind who buys Oly just for the reach a 2x crop factor gives him... The fact the 7D has been sooo popular surely says a lot and Canon would be fools to ignore this obvious demand! I see room for the 7D mkII in the line up.

People are complaining that the cropped market is too tights...  this is also a marketing tactic...  "for just xxx$ more you can get the next model up". if the gap is too much between models it doesn't entice as much...

just my thoughts

bring on the nexted xxD/xD cropped! :)
5D MkIII & 100D
17-40L, 24L II, 24-105L, 70-200L, 500L II
-------www.adhocphotographer.com--------

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 05:28:01 AM »