October 24, 2014, 08:33:33 AM

Author Topic: Neck Strap Loops Design  (Read 9054 times)

Kliphten

Neck Strap Loops Design
« on: February 27, 2012, 10:50:46 PM »
So after looking over the leaked picks, I started thinking about the neck strap loops and just wondering why they are positioned the way they are like on the 5D Mark III.

If I'm wearing the strap on my neck, the camera points down, and with a lens, can get heavy so the strap gets all funky at the loops.  Why not either have something that rotates with the straps/weight or place them vertically?  When holding a camera to take a shot, there is no weight on the loops so I just don't see the point of having them the way they are.

Just a small design pet peeve and also to try take my mind off of the coming announcement :)

canon rumors FORUM

Neck Strap Loops Design
« on: February 27, 2012, 10:50:46 PM »

jwong

Re: Neck Strap Loops Design
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 11:10:46 PM »
Got a BlackRapid strap system once I got heavier lenses.  Took off the Canon neck strap and haven't used it since.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 11:14:17 PM »
Got a BlackRapid strap system once I got heavier lenses.  Took off the Canon neck strap and haven't used it since.

Ditto.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Kliphten

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 11:18:22 PM »
Ah, sweet.  Will definitely have to get one of those.

But I mean, why doesn't Canon design the loops differently?  Especially since they jut out on the 5D body.

Actionpix

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 11:33:46 PM »
I guess it has to do with durability. A rotating design is more vulnerable to wear and more difficult to strongly fix. The last thing you want to happen is an expensive camera with even more expensive lens dropping on the floor because of a failure of the strap or attach point. My oldest Canon had the camera attached to a ring. (Allowing rotation) The ring could open and the camera could drop. I was always nervous about that. (The ring opened several times.)

jhpeterson

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 11:42:26 PM »
One thing that never ceases to amaze me is how hard Canon makes it to install their CPS straps.
Not easy to put one on a 1D series body and darn near impossible on a 5d/7d without a small flat screwdriver blade.
And, removing one is certainly no easier.
1D iii (x2), 1DS iii (x3), 6D, 16-35L ii, 24-105L, 70-200L IS ii, 24/3.5 TS-E, 40/2.8 STM, 50/2.5, 100/2.8L IS, 135/2L, 300/2.8L, 500/4L IS, 430EX II, EF 1.4x ii, EF 2x iii

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 11:51:48 PM »
the cheap ebay copies are just as good as the genuine rapids

I just noticed this new type looks like an even closer match to the real BR
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Quick-Rapid-Camera-Sling-Strap-CANON-NIKON-SONY-PENTAX-/250989584377?pt=US_Camera_Straps_Hand_Grips&hash=item3a70251ff9

APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 11:51:48 PM »

zim

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 07:56:35 AM »
wow great link wicked thanks +1 always fancied on of those

Is the 1/4" connecting Adapter the same. ie how secure is that? I'd be worried about overtightening it as would want to make sure it ain't going to go anywhere!

DzPhotography

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 09:25:40 AM »
I'm thinking about a spider belt...anyone in here with experiences?
EOS 550D | EOS 7D | EOS 6D | EOS 1Dx | EF-S 15-85 | EF 28f2.8 | EF 30f2.0 | EF 40f2.8 | EF 50f1.8II | EF 16-35f2.8L MkII | EF 24-105 f4L | EF 24-70f2.8L | EF 70-200f2.8L MkII | Sigma 10f2.8 Fisheye | Sigma 50f1.4 | Tamron 17-50f2.8VC | Tokina 11-16f2.8 | 430EXII | 580EXII

Jamesy

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2012, 09:26:17 AM »

Is the 1/4" connecting Adapter the same. ie how secure is that? I'd be worried about overtightening it as would want to make sure it ain't going to go anywhere!

@ wickedwombat +1 - Good find.

I have the real BR RS4 and I had the ConnectR-2 (loop thingy) fail and they sent me a new one free in a couple of days. By fail, I mean the rivet came out on the hinge that opens and closed the connection.

The 1/4" connecting adapter you speak is the FastenR3 http://www.blackrapid.com/product/hardware/fastenr3/. I found that it needs to be babysat to ensure it does not unscrew on you. As long as the rubber gasket remains in place it should be fine.

Jamesy

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2012, 09:26:59 AM »

Ditto.

Double-ditto

scubasteve03

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2012, 11:07:22 AM »
I found that it needs to be babysat to ensure it does not unscrew on you. As long as the rubber gasket remains in place it should be fine.

Every time you put the Black Rapid on, DOUBLE check and make sure carabiner is always the way screwed very tight. My wife and I got to visit Paris for the first time a few months ago. I took my 60d everywhere I went. I ended up taking the screw out from the tripod mount so I could stabilize the camera for a long exposure of Notre Dame. The next day we went the Versailles Palace. I was taking pictures of the gardens and someone bumped in to me while I was shooting a pic. I tried to catch myself and the camera after I got bumped, but somehow the caribener got loose and it opened up and the camera and my 10-22 went crashing down 4-5 concrete steps. Now I am MUCH more conscious of the connections on the Rs-7.  I can't even replicate what happened. I have no idea how the caribener opened at the same time as the camera was being pulled out of the D-ring.

wickidwombat

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2012, 05:07:45 PM »

well i've been using the cheap ebay ones and the genuine ones for a couple of years now and even with a 1D and 24-105 or 70-200 on the ebay ones are completely fine, I do check to make sure the mount point is secure regularly though. that rubber crush washer helps them to stay fixed and not rotate out
APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2012, 05:07:45 PM »

wickidwombat

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2012, 05:11:24 PM »
I'm thinking about a spider belt...anyone in here with experiences?

I prefer this

http://peakdesignltd.com/

I have some Really rigth stuff L brackets that i have modified to lock into these, and use the black rapid Tr-1
flap down loop to fix the RR bracket to the camera. the L bracket never ever comes off and the reapid strap stays connected when the bracket is clipped into the capture. It stops it swinging around and hitting stuff
also means if youare shooting with 2 cameras and one is clipped into your belt thenit doesnt fall to the ground when you are lying on the ground shooting with the other camera.

I use a think tank belt to attache the capture clips to
APS-H Fanboy

dcormier

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2012, 05:26:37 PM »

I prefer Lens Loop to BlackRapid, personally. I feel it's better quality and it's less expensive, too.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2012, 05:26:37 PM »