October 25, 2014, 05:50:00 AM

Author Topic: DPreview Nikon D800 D4 what the professionals think  (Read 3006 times)

Flake

DPreview Nikon D800 D4 what the professionals think
« on: February 28, 2012, 04:47:20 AM »
http://www.dpreview.com/articles/2896866820/nikon-d4-d800-what-do-the-professionals-think

Well normally this would have gone into the third party section, but I think it's an interesting insight into what pro photographers are looking for in a camera, and might well illustrate what design criteria Canon have used for the 5D MkIII.

Points of interest are the importance of video - good video, low light performance, and perhaps surprisingly the number of photographers who say they cannot afford to upgrade.  MP count seems unimportant to most if not all, with one saying that 12MP is sufficient for print & web use.

If they are representative of pros in general then the 5D MkIII rumoured specs look to be very well placed.

canon rumors FORUM

DPreview Nikon D800 D4 what the professionals think
« on: February 28, 2012, 04:47:20 AM »

Astro

Re: DPreview Nikon D800 D4 what the professionals think
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 05:13:44 AM »
well there is at least one selfcalled "pro" who thinks the D800 is a game changer because you need no supertele lenses anymore.  shooting with a 90mm and cropping is the new 500mm.

but then 95% of what he writes is bullsh*t anyway....
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 05:15:48 AM by Astro »

Ricku

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 05:22:06 AM »
I dont care about high MP, but I do hope the 5D3 can match the D800 in other areas such as pro AF and good weather sealing. I would also love to be able to buy special edition without AA-filter, since I don't give a crap about moire patterns in video mode.

But I guess we can only dream of these features.. Canon has always seen 5D-users as non-professionals, and clearly we do not deserve things like pro AF, nor a tightly sealed camera.  :)

If we want such things, then we must dish out $7k for an ultra heavy elephant sized 1D X.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 05:27:19 AM by Ricku »

Flake

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 05:32:03 AM »

But I guess we can only dream of these features.. Canon has always seen 5D-users as non-professionals, and clearly we do not deserve things like pro AF, nor a tightly sealed camera.  :)

If we want such things, then we must dish out $7k for an ultra heavy elephant sized 1D X.

I think that might have been true when we had the 1Ds but maybe things are changing for the better, as for non pros  the 5D series has been seen by Canon as a wedding photographers tool, that also may well have changed.

psolberg

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 08:36:06 AM »
http://www.dpreview.com/articles/2896866820/nikon-d4-d800-what-do-the-professionals-think

Well normally this would have gone into the third party section, but I think it's an interesting insight into what pro photographers are looking for in a camera, and might well illustrate what design criteria Canon have used for the 5D MkIII.

Points of interest are the importance of video - good video, low light performance, and perhaps surprisingly the number of photographers who say they cannot afford to upgrade.  MP count seems unimportant to most if not all, with one saying that 12MP is sufficient for print & web use.

If they are representative of pros in general then the 5D MkIII rumoured specs look to be very well placed.

interesting. But hardly a representation of the population in general. I'm sure many will flock to big MP advances not just from nikon but from sony as well. IMO the low light religion and crusades was something of the last generation. It seems MP is back? I wouldn't mind, given low light is good enough already. But I'd much rather see advances in dynamic range and/or hardware. get rid of the mirror, and physical shutter as well as IR triggers.

V8Beast

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Stephen Kim Automotive Photography
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 11:57:02 AM »
So the link is for a bunch of pros who don't have any hands-on shooting time with either body merely speculating on how they will perform. You can get that kind of speculating right here on Canon Rumors :)

BTW, does anyone really care what pros think? There are some pros with highly impressive resumes right on this forum whose thoughts I greatly respect, but they seem to get flamed for expressing their opinions most of the time. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 11:57:02 AM »