June 18, 2018, 02:10:09 AM

Author Topic: Selling 5D mk ll. Reasonable price?  (Read 16267 times)

elflord

• EOS 5D Mark IV
Re: Selling 5D mk ll. Reasonable price?
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2012, 07:29:04 PM »
I don't mean to be the proverbial rain on the parade... but the best answer to your inquiry IS what someone wants to pay for it.

Not quite. The market clearing price is the price for which the number of willing sellers is equal to the number of willing buyers (where supply and demand curves cross).

The fact that some might not be willing to cough up $1800 (or $180 for that matter) for that body does not mean that he has to sell it at that price.

Any pricing you have seen in the past for the 5DmkII, or see now, has no significance - they are for a used 'current model'. After the new model is announced the resale value will decline noticeably on used, and will likely steadily decline on the remaining new inventory until they are gone.

The announcement could affect supply demand, we can speculate on how this will play out. It will depend to a large extent on pricing of the new version.

I don't think 1500-1600 sounds right -- not consistent with completed transactions I see in the used market right now.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2012, 07:29:04 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• CR GEEK
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2012, 07:52:07 PM »
You might be able to sell on ebay for $1800, but it will cost you $150 or more for fees.  I'd ask $1775 on CL and be willing to come down to $1650.

Having the manuals, CD's and cables helps.  Even a old 35-80mm EF lens might bring a extra $100 when bundled with it.

New MK II's are about to Drop to the $2000 level, so sell quickly while they are still $2269.

elflord

• EOS 5D Mark IV
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2012, 07:57:34 PM »
You might be able to sell on ebay for $1800, but it will cost you $150 or more for fees.  I'd ask $1775 on CL and be willing to come down to $1650.

Alternatively you could pitch to a larger market on fredmiranda.com, where you should get close to the ebay price.

Mt Spokane Photography

• CR GEEK
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2012, 09:41:37 PM »

Alternatively you could pitch to a larger market on fredmiranda.com, where you should get close to the ebay price.

Thats assuming (in both cases) that you have a long string of excellent feedback.  A new seller on FM or Ebay will struggle due to low feedback and buyer concerns about fraud.

elflord

• EOS 5D Mark IV
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2012, 11:26:43 PM »

Thats assuming (in both cases) that you have a long string of excellent feedback.  A new seller on FM or Ebay will struggle due to low feedback and buyer concerns about fraud.

Your mileage may vary of course, but I had very little trouble getting a quick sale at a good price for my EF-S 15-85mm on fredmiranda, and it was my first transaction (I had no feedback as a buyer or seller when I sold it). I also advertised the same lens on craigslist and didn't get any responses from serious buyers. I did go to some lengths to look like a credible seller on the fredmiranda ad (e.g. my profile was linked to my flickr page, I had posted in some of the forums).

I suspect a large part of it has to do with whether buyers want what you're selling. I'd be surprised if it were that hard to find a buyer for a 5D Mark II.  I agree that a lack of feedback would make your listing less competitive than a listing from a seller with more/better feedback at the same price, but unless there is a supply glut and a lack of demand for the item you're listing (e.g. EF-S kit lenses, first generation micro 4/3 bodies, Canon FD glass)  I'd expect a reasonable outcome for the seller, at worst they'd need to accept a slight discount for their lack of established reputation.   
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 11:30:59 PM by elflord »

Leopard Lupus

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2012, 01:17:22 AM »
Thank you all for the replies (and the negative mark?)

As of today I sold my refurbished Canon 5D mk ll with 4032 shutter actuations for $1675, and yes, the buyer did know of the up and coming new model.

bycostello

• EOS 5DS R
    • London Weddings
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2012, 05:42:31 AM »
if u saw the 2nd march post, mk3 announcement date...  you might have to settle for less...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2012, 05:42:31 AM »

Astro

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2012, 06:00:38 AM »
As of today I sold my refurbished Canon 5D mk ll with 4032 shutter actuations for $1675, and yes, the buyer did know of the up and coming new model.

new price on amazon here: 1699- 1799 euro varies from day to day.. not a bad deal for a new MK2 if you ask me.

im looking forward to march 4 and how much the price will drop.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 06:04:25 AM by Astro »

6dunes

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2012, 06:25:27 AM »
The lowest price for a new 5DII in the Netherlands: 1757,-- euro ( USD 2360)

Jamesy

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2012, 07:16:36 AM »
The lowest Canadian price I see at the moment is $2279 plus tax (13%).

Maui5150

• EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2012, 07:45:08 AM »
I don't mean to be the proverbial rain on the parade... but the best answer to your inquiry IS what someone wants to pay for it.
Any pricing you have seen in the past for the 5DmkII, or see now, has no significance - they are for a used 'current model'. After the new model is announced the resale value will decline noticeably on used, and will likely steadily decline on the remaining new inventory until they are gone.

Really?  Somewhat true, but given that the 5D... not 5D MK II, but the ORIGINAL 5D still sells comfortably in the $1000 - $1200 range, don't see the 5D MK II, especially with low shutter count selling down that way for quite some time.

Generally I have found that most upper end electronics and gear that are not at the NEW INTRODUCTION of technology, especially when it comes to being gear that is used for a professional or production basis, tends to suffer initial drops during its lifecycle, and less drop during its 1st generation replacement. 

This especially holds true, when advancements come incremental and more about increasing capabilities of features.

This also holds true as PRODUCTION costs decreases... like the first plasma TVs that were $10,000+ obviously came down because future generations were less than $2000.

There is more pressure for the price to remain higher on the 5D MK II as Canon's entry into the FF market for most people, because of its capabilities and closeness to its replacement. 

The camera I expect to see a more significant drop in would be the original 5D which is now soon to be 2 generations old... but still I don't expect to see the 5D MK II selling for less in general than the 7D.

outsider

« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2012, 07:46:42 AM »
As a buyer, I haggle all the time, so be prepared to be a little flexible in your price.
The other week I just bought a used 5dmk2 from craigslist. It had 11,000 actuations, and I paid $1450 Canadian for it. The guy wanted $1600 for it initially.

Just to give you another idea what buyers are paying.

Maui5150

• EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2012, 07:57:04 AM »

Having the manuals, CD's and cables helps.  Even a old 35-80mm EF lens might bring a extra $100 when bundled with it.

New MK II's are about to Drop to the $2000 level, so sell quickly while they are still $2269.

Ebay Fees on this item would be capped at $100.  Now you do have to add in the PayPal Fees, which is $52 (2.9%) on $1800. 

It is a wash on Craigslist at $1650 if you can get $1800 on eBay with a bigger market. 

One of the best places I have found to move this gear is actually Amazon.   I got more for my 18 - 135, 10-22, and 70-200 f/4 off of there than I did off of CL... Close to DOUBLE what the tire kickers on CL were offering. 

Amazon pretty much does rape you with the fees, but after a week of tire kickers on CL offering $200 for my 70-200 F/4, or $500 on my 10-22, wound up selling 3 lenses and my 430 EX II in about 3 hours for pretty decent money after the commissions.

Also it can be a great way to split up transactions for those aware of the new IRS rules, basically the 200 / $20,000.  If you are clearing out a bunch of gear on either site, it is easy to get the dollar amounts up, and then realize you have a ton of rinky dink transactions that might make you have to file for all those DVDs and CDs you cleared out at $4 a pop.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2012, 07:57:04 AM »

Del

« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2012, 10:48:04 AM »
Very few used 5D Mkii's are coming on the market here in Ireland, the most recent one that I saw this month sold for 1300 euros or approximately $1740 (see link for 'free' classifieds site that most people here use)

http://www.adverts.ie/digital-cameras/canon-5d-mk-ii-used/1270182

This is a fair price considering that online discount e-tailers like the one below are selling new 5D MkII's for at least $1000 more

http://www.webstore-photo.com/Liste.aspx?mk=0&typ=0

As an addendum, I recently used the above retailer to purchase an EF 24-70mm f/2.8L lens for 1,000 euros, and they were the cheapest on eBay by a long-shot.

Chuck Alaimo

• EOS 5DS R
    • Chuck Alaimo Photography
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2012, 11:37:21 AM »

Not quite. The market clearing price is the price for which the number of willing sellers is equal to the number of willing buyers (where supply and demand curves cross).

The fact that some might not be willing to cough up $1800 (or $180 for that matter) for that body does not mean that he has to sell it at that price.

The announcement could affect supply demand, we can speculate on how this will play out. It will depend to a large extent on pricing of the new version.

I don't think 1500-1600 sounds right -- not consistent with completed transactions I see in the used market right now.

I'd say it actually has less to do with the new model announcement and more to do with the new price dropping.  Of course, it looks like both will happen at once.  Right now it's totally a sellers market on the mkii, as people are holding them until the mkiii is actually available (your not going to sell your backup body if you don't know when you'll actually have a replacement!).

Another factor is inventory, we don't know how many mkii's canon has kicking around, and, we don't know if canon plans on keeping the mkii around as a cheaper entry point to FF ($2000 to go FF, that may entice people on the fence, and if they do go FF at the $2000 price point they may very well upgrade to the mkiii within a year).

As one of the people on the hunt for a lower priced mkii - this is what is on my mind - supply and demand.  If i had bought a used mkii in december I could theoretically resell it today for no loss, maybe even a profit given the scarcity in the market.  ROI - would I actually make more money in the coming season if i had FF now.  availability - if the mkiii isn't actually available until fall, what does that do to the used market?  I don't want to spend $1900 on a used body, especially if that same body will be market corrected down to $1700 in a few months.  And likewise, I don't want to spend $1900 on a used body if the new price is going to drop to $2100...

Also, and this may effect the pricing - buying a used body from a person as opposed to B&H ---I'd be more inclined to spend $1900 from the likes of B&H because they have a good and proven track record with warranty (3 months on used, and you can opt to upgrade the warranty).  I'd be vary worried about making a personal sale on a used body for that much, unless I personally knew the seller...

Owns 5Dmkiii, 6D, 16-35mm, 24mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 85 mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8 macro, 1-600RT, 2 430 EX's, 1 video light

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2012, 11:37:21 AM »