Last night I finally pulled the trigger on a new 7D (and only 14 minutes before the Adorama discount ended, for a final price of 1,399 body only). As far as my regular shooting is concerned, it is majority (say 85%) aviation, with birds/wildlife covering the other 15% or so. As such, my lens "array" consists of the 100-400mm, the 400 5.6, and then some kit lenses inherited from my Xsi from a while back. While I've already identified what will likely be my replacement for the 18-55 kit lens, I had a couple of questions for people who have used the 7D with either the 100-400, or the 400 5.6.
What were your general impressions? I've heard some people say that the AF literally does not work with the 100-400, and I've heard people say that it is perfectly fine. Same goes with the 400 5.6. I am coming from a 50D, albeit a fairly problematic one, and would consider that my baseline as far as AF performance, etc is concerned. I've had many people tell me that I may need to sell the 100-400 and pick up something like the new 70-300L or a 70-200 to get acceptable IQ, in your experience, is this the case?
I'd greatly appreciate any input y'all could give me. I look forward to the new body getting here soon