May 24, 2018, 02:13:47 PM

Author Topic: You think Canon will release a more affordable Full-Frame HDSLR?  (Read 10025 times)

Neeneko

Re: You think Canon will release a more affordable Full-Frame HDSLR?
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2012, 09:48:31 AM »
That's great news for photographers, but videographers on a budget want something with better video  quality than the Canon HDSLRS we are currently using. The C300 would have been the answer if it was $3,000, but at $12,000 it's obviously aimed for the rich. I don't see why Canon would think an HDSLR built specifically for video at a fair price wouldn't sell well.

Actually, photographers who are primarily interested in still photography have been griping about all these video features being shoved into DSLRs... but anyway.

I think the bigger question, why do you need something 'better' then the 5D2?  If you are on a budget, then use a budget device.  The 5D2 is already used in professional productions for both TV and movies, so unless you have needs that outstrip those two fields, I am not seeing why you need Canon to produce something 'better' at a low price point, esp since they already have a whole like of FF DSLRS to choose from.  Or you could upgrade to a XHAS1 which is fairly well regarded.

And I would not say the C300 is aimed a the 'rich', it is aimed at professionals and companies.  When film making is your business, $12,000 for a major piece of equipment is not a big deal in the same way buying a $10k server is pricy for home use but budget for a company.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2012, 09:48:31 AM »

stabmasterasron

« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2012, 10:48:11 AM »
Possibly a full-frame geared more towards video and perhaps have the same sensor as the 1DX, but without all bells and whistles for stills?

I was actually hoping they would go the other way and release an updated FF camera w/o all the bells and whistles for video.  5D classic is a great camera, but could use some updating.  But it seems as though photographers are now stuck with cameras that will support video as well.  In the end, as long as it does not clutter up the interface, then OK.

BRNexus6

• EOS Rebel 300D
« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2012, 08:34:12 PM »
That's great news for photographers, but videographers on a budget want something with better video  quality than the Canon HDSLRS we are currently using. The C300 would have been the answer if it was $3,000, but at $12,000 it's obviously aimed for the rich. I don't see why Canon would think an HDSLR built specifically for video at a fair price wouldn't sell well.

Actually, photographers who are primarily interested in still photography have been griping about all these video features being shoved into DSLRs... but anyway.

I think the bigger question, why do you need something 'better' then the 5D2?  If you are on a budget, then use a budget device.  The 5D2 is already used in professional productions for both TV and movies, so unless you have needs that outstrip those two fields, I am not seeing why you need Canon to produce something 'better' at a low price point, esp since they already have a whole like of FF DSLRS to choose from.  Or you could upgrade to a XHAS1 which is fairly well regarded.

And I would not say the C300 is aimed a the 'rich', it is aimed at professionals and companies.  When film making is your business, $12,000 for a major piece of equipment is not a big deal in the same way buying a $10k server is pricy for home use but budget for a company.

I just want Canon's answer to Sony's FS100, which is an amazing video camera for the price. If I didn't have so much invested in Canon glass and the ergonomics were better I'd probably get a FS 100 myself. The C300 is Canon's answer to Sony's F3. I don't consider the 1DX, or 5D Mark lll a stripped down C300. 

gene_can_sing

« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2012, 09:46:36 PM »
The C300 is seriously over priced. It won't sell well. The Sony FS-100 is definitely in the same ball park and it does 1080p 60 FPS unlike the C300, and it costs 1/3rd as much.

Many cinematographers want a full frame video camera, that's why everyone is waiting for the next 5D. The c300 is 1.5x cropped, which is fine; but full frame video has a unique look.

Plus, for many video shooters such as myself, going back to a video camera ergonomic would really suck. The DSLR form factor is so much more liberating and easy to shoot with than the traditional lunch box style video camera. I can't go back, so I am waiting for the 5D3 or preferable the 4K DSLR video hybrid. I would have no problem paying $5000 for the 4K Hybrid if it's good.

BRNexus6

• EOS Rebel 300D
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2012, 12:03:33 AM »
The C300 is seriously over priced. It won't sell well. The Sony FS-100 is definitely in the same ball park and it does 1080p 60 FPS unlike the C300, and it costs 1/3rd as much.

Many cinematographers want a full frame video camera, that's why everyone is waiting for the next 5D. The c300 is 1.5x cropped, which is fine; but full frame video has a unique look.

Plus, for many video shooters such as myself, going back to a video camera ergonomic would really suck. The DSLR form factor is so much more liberating and easy to shoot with than the traditional lunch box style video camera. I can't go back, so I am waiting for the 5D3 or preferable the 4K DSLR video hybrid. I would have no problem paying $5000 for the 4K Hybrid if it's good.

Agreed. Hopefully the 5D Mark lll will make us video guys excited.

Circles

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2012, 12:09:00 AM »

Agreed. Hopefully the 5D Mark lll will make us video guys excited.

Agreed mate.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2012, 12:09:00 AM »