November 25, 2014, 10:37:30 PM

Author Topic: You think Canon will release a more affordable Full-Frame HDSLR?  (Read 4913 times)

BRNexus6

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
You think Canon will release a more affordable Full-Frame HDSLR?
« on: February 28, 2012, 09:01:28 PM »
Possibly a full-frame geared more towards video and perhaps have the same sensor as the 1DX, but without all bells and whistles for stills?

canon rumors FORUM

You think Canon will release a more affordable Full-Frame HDSLR?
« on: February 28, 2012, 09:01:28 PM »

Dave T

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
Re: You think Canon will release a more affordable Full-Frame HDSLR?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 09:57:29 PM »
Possibly a full-frame geared more towards video and perhaps have the same sensor as the 1DX, but without all bells and whistles for stills?

LOL - I want a more affordable FF "without all the bells and whistles" strictly for stills! And having the 1DX 18mp sensor would be OK with me. (smile)

Dave

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 09:58:17 PM »
The 5D MK III will apparently be emphasizing video more than the 1D which is a pro level stills camera.  Canon has also announced a development of a HDDSLR that is more for video (4K).  It is certainly going to be more expensive.

D_Rochat

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 10:29:12 PM »
Short answer.... no.

bvukich

• Spam Assassin
  • Administrator
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • My (sparse) ZenFolio Site
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 11:04:57 PM »
Yes...

It will be called the 5D MkII.

niccyboy

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 11:08:27 PM »
The 5D MK III will apparently be emphasizing video more than the 1D which is a pro level stills camera.  Canon has also announced a development of a HDDSLR that is more for video (4K).  It is certainly going to be more expensive.

Really? So there is only one full frame DSLR aimed at photographers? There is beginning to be a need to split the line i think.

D_Rochat

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 11:08:59 PM »
Yes...

Well played sir, well played.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 11:08:59 PM »

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 11:43:45 PM »

Why in the world would they want to do that? The continuation of the 5d2 is a rumor, I'd rather think they'll try to squeeze as much money out of ambitious amateurs as possible (pros will buy a 5d3 or 1d anyway). This faster production cycle is where a manufacturer can make money from apart from selling a top quality lens once a decade.

Furthermore, the price of the body generally seems to be in the same range as 1-2 lenses of the same quality class - and current full frame bodies require very good (e.g. red ring) lenses.

Neeneko

« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 12:30:55 AM »
Wouldn't that be, ahm, a video camera?  I believe Canon has a whole line of those....

briansquibb

« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2012, 01:02:26 AM »
Yes...

+1 :D

BRNexus6

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2012, 02:09:53 AM »
Wouldn't that be, ahm, a video camera?  I believe Canon has a whole line of those....

Yeah, a whole line of 1/3" chip automatic point and shoots. The reason people shoot video on HDSLR's is for their larger sensor sizes (Better Low-Light performance, Shallow DOF) and manual exposure controls.  The C300 is not the answer for most people shooting video on HDSLR's as it's cost is way too high. All we want is a HDSLR built with video in mind first at a price that most can afford. 

BRNexus6

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2012, 02:18:02 AM »
Yes...

That's great news for photographers, but videographers on a budget want something with better video  quality than the Canon HDSLRS we are currently using. The C300 would have been the answer if it was $3,000, but at $12,000 it's obviously aimed for the rich. I don't see why Canon would think an HDSLR built specifically for video at a fair price wouldn't sell well. 

aaronofnero

« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2012, 02:57:32 AM »
Yes...

That's great news for photographers, but videographers on a budget want something with better video  quality than the Canon HDSLRS we are currently using. The C300 would have been the answer if it was $3,000, but at $12,000 it's obviously aimed for the rich. I don't see why Canon would think an HDSLR built specifically for video at a fair price wouldn't sell well.

"videographers on a budget" is self-explanatory. If you can only afford a 5dmkII to handle your business / projects with, then that's what you'll need to use until you're able to afford a more upscale camera that provides a more applicable quality to your profession as it suits your desire. Otherwise, you can rent a higher quality camera in the meanwhile. The film industry isn't intended to be a cheap and accessible field for anyone and everyone. It has already become leaps and bounds more affordable than it has ever been. 15 grand for a professional camera is beyond inexpensive in this industry. Canon likely makes plenty of money off of their products as they currently stand. The last thing they're going to want to do is isolate and potentially diminish their higher end line of camera by meeting the requests of novice filmmakers who only have so much to spend, while the spoken-for specs suit a professional field of suppliers and DPs willing to spend a substantial amount more as their budgets allow for it.   

If you don't have the money for the best equipment, then just use what you can afford. The rebel models deliver a gorgeous picture for the money, and there is plenty of affordable 3rd party equipment out there that can supply you with professional results. Sure, if canon made the c300 available for $3000, they'd sell a ton of them, but that's not the intention. Why wouldn't Arri and RED and Sony do the same then with their professional model cameras? Over saturating the market only damages your business model for future releases and technology. There will always be requests to go cheaper, and technology will always get better and more affordable as it clearly has been. Regardless, if you want the best of what technology has to currently offer, then you'll have to pay quite a bit for it. That's the nature of the game.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2012, 02:57:32 AM »

JustinTArthur

• Power Shot G7X
  • Photo, Audio, and Video Hobbyist
    • View Profile
    • My Photos
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2012, 03:30:13 AM »
I don't know what the 5D Mark III will be like, but if HD video is your focus, the Nikon D800 goes a long way towards an affordable full-frame video solution. Unlike Canon, Nikon has more interest in gearing a DSLR to your video needs in lieu of pushing you towards a professional video camera line; they haven't had one since the Hi8 days. Only downside is that it may not have PAL support initially if your target audience is in Europe.

If you can excuse having to buy a special adapter to get audio monitoring and don't need 60fps, the Unified Branch of the community-driven Magic Lantern firmware effort will probably have a stable release for the 5D Mark II soon, giving it some much needed video love, and with used 5D Mark II's going for ~1800 USD, that's *really* affordable. Magic Lantern's manual focus helpers are probably better than you'd find on even the D800.

My fingers are crossed for a stellar 5D Mark III. Maybe it'll have an equivalent to the 1DX sensor as you hope.

If your definition of HD is 4K+ resolution, you'll probably not see anything close to that from HDSLRs in 2012.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 03:35:16 AM by JustinTArthur »

BRNexus6

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2012, 04:15:22 AM »
I don't know what the 5D Mark III will be like, but if HD video is your focus, the Nikon D800 goes a long way towards an affordable full-frame video solution. Unlike Canon, Nikon has more interest in gearing a DSLR to your video needs in lieu of pushing you towards a professional video camera line; they haven't had one since the Hi8 days. Only downside is that it may not have PAL support initially if your target audience is in Europe.

If you can excuse having to buy a special adapter to get audio monitoring and don't need 60fps, the Unified Branch of the community-driven Magic Lantern firmware effort will probably have a stable release for the 5D Mark II soon, giving it some much needed video love, and with used 5D Mark II's going for ~1800 USD, that's *really* affordable. Magic Lantern's manual focus helpers are probably better than you'd find on even the D800.

My fingers are crossed for a stellar 5D Mark III. Maybe it'll have an equivalent to the 1DX sensor as you hope.

If your definition of HD is 4K+ resolution, you'll probably not see anything close to that from HDSLRs in 2012.

I've already invested in some Canon glass, so I'm not willing to switch brands. I'll just have to wait and see how much better the Canon 5D Mark lll is in regards to video quality over the Mark II. The headphone jack is a big plus.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2012, 04:15:22 AM »