October 24, 2014, 09:53:16 PM

Author Topic: Canon 7Dmk2 any rumors??  (Read 91971 times)

Ew

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: Canon 7Dmk2 any rumors??
« Reply #225 on: April 09, 2012, 08:50:20 AM »
If noise was usable at 3200-6400, and no other changes, I'd swap today.
Additional SD card would be nice for live backup.
5D3 | 600D | EOSm | Samyang 8mm 3.8T | Samyang 14 2.8 | 17-40 | 28 1.8 | Sig 35 1.4 | 40 | 50 1.4 | 100 2.0 | 135 L | 70-200 4L IS + x1.4mk2 | Nippon Kogaku 50 1.4 (1965) | Nikkor 43-86 (mid 1970s) | M: 22

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #225 on: April 09, 2012, 08:50:20 AM »

ruuneos

« Reply #226 on: April 09, 2012, 05:22:06 PM »
Once again I check current price's and noticed this: both 7D and 60D got "Replacement: 6 months" so are we going to see combination of those?

D_Rochat

« Reply #227 on: April 09, 2012, 05:34:40 PM »
I see room for a 7Dii provided it'll have

dual card slot (sdx / CF)
dual Digic 5
APS-C @ 21-22MP
Better hi-ISO performance (hi ISO standard @ 25600)
8FPS
USB3
built-in GPS

Same current 7D price

doubtful it will have 2 card slots and still be at a similar price.  Also doubtful that it would have such a high native iso, doubtful it would have usb3 - and please no gps, i have enough things tracking my location and movements anyways, no need at all for my camera to do it too.

I would much rather have some smart evolutionary changes - same iso range, but improved quality in the 3200-6400 range (I just don't see the point in taking it any higher unless the the noise quality can be improved).

All in all the current 7D is a pretty solid camera, improve on its shortcomings and canon has a winner.  Toss in a bunch of garbage new stuff without fixing the shortcomings and its just a marketing tool...

GPS on the 7D would be huge.
Sports, street, landscape and nature shooters would love it. It would be a notable selling point 4 many people.
When you would not want to use it you can always turn it off so that really should not be a concern.

:-\ Besides most photos taken out doors can often have the location backtracked already even without gps identification.

Unfortunately(?) as we know canon has a brand new external gps module. Building the gps into a 7D body is unlikely given that they can sell you the separate module. This is unfortunate and shame though because the 7 d is a camera that you don't really wanna have a lot of stuff sticking out of because it's often used in ruffer environments or conditions where it gets jostled. If its built in you don't have to worry about forgetting to turn it on or about the battery dieing or any number of other things.

Don't hold your breath on built in GPS in the xD line. There are areas that photographers work that prohibits GPS. Prohibited GPS + built in GPS = no access. That's why you get the option for external GPS.

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #228 on: April 09, 2012, 05:43:20 PM »
Don't hold your breath on built in GPS in the xD line. There are areas that photographers work that prohibits GPS. Prohibited GPS + built in GPS = no access. That's why you get the option for external GPS.

But it would be nice to have built-in bluetooth for gps devices (mobile phone, gps logger) instead of some obscure proprietary connector or a flash-shoe mounted device. A bluetooth chip certainly could be included in a body of that size and price - and shouldn't raise any security concerns, or would it?

D_Rochat

« Reply #229 on: April 09, 2012, 05:47:46 PM »
I don't see how some sort of wireless function (with very limited range) would pose a security risk on a camera. Building an external wireless GPS unit would be beneficial. Why they don't do that? Don't know. Expect a jaw dropping price tag if they ever do.

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #230 on: April 09, 2012, 06:02:48 PM »
Expect a jaw dropping price tag if they ever do.

Looking at the latest Canon releases, I'd expect a jaw dropping price for each and every part that has "Canon" on it, including plastic lens hoods :-o ... I really hope mirrorless and Sony/Nikon do kick Canon's a** to move their semi-pro/amateur line into some affordable regions without hidden annoyances all the way.

Tracy Pinto

« Reply #231 on: April 11, 2012, 03:55:29 PM »
I'm not sure why anyone would cheer for Canon not to update the 7D. It is three years old and there are features that would improve it. Nikon's D7000 is a terrific camera that sells for hundreds less.

For those that prefer the reach it offers, it would be great to achieve improved DR, better IQ and some minor refinements/additions to bring the camera closer to the new ff siblings. This will not only make the product line stronger but also offer more choices for a natural progression up the product line. The Rebels make great DSLR entry choices and I see them everywhere. The XXD is the perfect hobbyist/amateur choice. The 7D is and can remain, with an updating, the perfect bridge to the pro-lines found in the ffs. The 7D is already v.good but it can be better still (if the pricing is kept under control) to attract more waves of pro-sumers.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 04:07:32 PM by Tracy Pinto »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #231 on: April 11, 2012, 03:55:29 PM »

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #232 on: April 11, 2012, 04:15:49 PM »
Nikon's D7000 is a terrific camera that sells for hundreds less.

I guess that's just the point: Is there a large enough market for the most expensive aps-c body on the block when in the tech department the ff 5d3 has outclassed it? The price tag of the xxd or Nikon might be more in line with the ef-s or dx lenses used for them.

Tracy Pinto

« Reply #233 on: April 11, 2012, 04:20:55 PM »

I guess that's just the point: Is there a large enough market for the most expensive aps-c body on the block when in the tech department the ff 5d3 has outclassed it? The price tag of the xxd or Nikon might be more in line with the ef-s or dx lenses used for them.

The 5D Mark III is $3,500 - that creates plenty of pricing room for a lesser, but still great, model at a fair price with a smaller sensor.

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #234 on: April 11, 2012, 04:27:34 PM »
The 5D Mark III is $3,500 - that creates plenty of pricing room for a lesser, but still great, model at a fair price with a smaller sensor.

Room - yes. Market - maybe not. Of course the 5d3 will drop some (Nikon D800 anyone?), so let's assume $3000. I don't think Canon marketing divides the price scale into equal pieces and puts out a model for each of them, but they'll look for customer groups like "entry level dslr" xxxd, "amateur/pro on a budget" xxd, "full frame entry" 5d2/successor, "rich amateur or pro that doesn't need the 1dx" 5d3. Where's the 7d2 in this?

But of course that's all pure speculation, that's the great thing about threads like these - it's hard to take them seriously. So: If there's already a super rebel xxd, why would there be the need for a giga rebel 7d2 :-p ?

AnselA

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: April 12, 2012, 06:25:03 PM »

Room - yes. Market - maybe not. Of course the 5d3 will drop some (Nikon D800 anyone?), so let's assume $3000. I don't think Canon marketing divides the price scale into equal pieces and puts out a model for each of them, but they'll look for customer groups like "entry level dslr" xxxd, "amateur/pro on a budget" xxd, "full frame entry" 5d2/successor, "rich amateur or pro that doesn't need the 1dx" 5d3. Where's the 7d2 in this?

But of course that's all pure speculation, that's the great thing about threads like these - it's hard to take them seriously. So: If there's already a super rebel xxd, why would there be the need for a giga rebel 7d2 :-p ?

You do know the "prosumer" 7D is still a very well selling model and that the Nikon D7000 is a hit.
That is what is known as a market and they both compete for it.

Canon, unlike you, will not yield any key market to Nikon. From the XXD (amateur/hobbyist) around $1200 to the 5D Mark III at $3,500 ( yes the price could come down or Nikon could raise theirs on the D800) there is just too much space (The 5D Mark II will necessarily be discontinued). Even if the XXD went up in price and the 5 D Mark III down, as you dream, the gap is still huge and many "prosumer" photographers can't jump it yet still want the latest features. Moving feature and specs to lesser models is the best method to keep buyers within the brand and upgrading to new gear.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 06:56:59 PM by AnselA »

dlleno

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: April 12, 2012, 07:47:34 PM »

In my view, the  market is for a "better than the xxd" upper-end 1.6 with high fps and BIF abilities, high shutter count, etc.  with IQ improvements over the 7D.  maybe in the $2K region.   That's where the 7D series should be.   Discontinue the xxd series. keep the rebels

JR

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: April 12, 2012, 08:16:42 PM »
I agree with the theory of making less model in the lineup and making each one of them richer in features to cater to a larger base of customer.  Unfortunately, Canon is showing us with all the recent announcement they are not going this way...so dont expect rationalization of models like the 60D anytime soon I think.

my two cents..
1DX, 24mm f1.4L II, 35mm f1.4L, 50mm f1.2L, 85mm f1.2L II, 135mm f2L, 24-70mm f2.8L II, 70-200mm f2.8L IS II :  D800, D4, and a whole bunch of Nikon lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #237 on: April 12, 2012, 08:16:42 PM »

ScottyP

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: April 12, 2012, 08:42:37 PM »

Yes.  Believe it or not, the 1.6 crop factor basically is THE thing many prosumers/enthusiasts want.  Telephoto lenses are very, very expensive, and are something many non-pro photographers would not want to spend 7 thousand dollars on.  ESPECIALLY if they had to buy the expensive telephoto JUST to recover length they lost by being FORCED to go full frame because your brand inexplicably quit making a high-quality crop body.  Yes, you could enhance sensor resolution to allow for mightier and mightier crops in post, but who in the world would really want to photograph birds the size of a pepper flake in the viewfinder, even if they could actually go home and crop it up to fill the frame? 
If you don't have a high-quality crop frame available that a prosumer can "aspire to", then you lose out on a large and high-spending customer base.  Just cast them aside and give them to Nikon.  Or Sony.
Canon 6D; Canon Lenses: EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF 85 f/1.8; EF-S 17-55 f/2.8; Canon 1.4x Mk. III T.C.; Sigma Lens: 35mm f/1.4 "Art"

V8Beast

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Stephen Kim Automotive Photography
« Reply #239 on: April 12, 2012, 09:02:58 PM »
Any chance that the APS-H format sensor resurfaces in the 7D Mark II? That would be badass :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #239 on: April 12, 2012, 09:02:58 PM »