April 16, 2014, 05:03:40 PM

Author Topic: Canon 7Dmk2 any rumors??  (Read 82959 times)

V8Beast

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Stephen Kim Automotive Photography
Re: Canon 7Dmk2 any rumors??
« Reply #255 on: April 13, 2012, 07:59:42 PM »
How about this proposal: Canon comes out with an APS-H 7D2, and since it would obviously be more expensive than the prior model, the 70D would fill in the 7D's former price slot. Someone asked me why they should spend the extra money on a 60D over a Rebel a few months ago, and I couldn't come up with a good answer. A greater separation in features between the Rebel and xxD line couldn't hurt.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #255 on: April 13, 2012, 07:59:42 PM »

D_Rochat

« Reply #256 on: April 14, 2012, 12:00:06 AM »
How about this proposal: Canon comes out with an APS-H 7D2, and since it would obviously be more expensive than the prior model, the 70D would fill in the 7D's former price slot. Someone asked me why they should spend the extra money on a 60D over a Rebel a few months ago, and I couldn't come up with a good answer. A greater separation in features between the Rebel and xxD line couldn't hurt.

I like it. I know what's coming next though. Canon is not going to re-badge a 1D4 as a 7D2 and sell it for $2-2500. We could see the same or similar specs, just not in a 1D fully sealed body. Your idea seems reasonable though.

D.Sim

« Reply #257 on: April 14, 2012, 12:30:12 AM »

I like it. I know what's coming next though. Canon is not going to re-badge a 1D4 as a 7D2 and sell it for $2-2500. We could see the same or similar specs, just not in a 1D fully sealed body. Your idea seems reasonable though.

Rebadged as a 3D/6D maybe? I'd seriously consider buying that...

smirkypants

« Reply #258 on: April 14, 2012, 11:15:54 AM »
Seriously, if they put an a 22MP APS-H sensor with 8 FPS in a 5D3 body and kept everything else in the 5D3, I'd buy two.

RogerC

« Reply #259 on: April 14, 2012, 11:44:59 AM »
I upgraded from a 40D to a 7D. I was impressed with how it dealt with processionals and recessionals at weddings. It made up for the disappointment I felt when I went from the 5D to the 5D2.

I see no need for a 7D2 at the moment. Hope they sort out the bugs soon on the 5D3. 

!Xabbu

« Reply #260 on: April 14, 2012, 01:11:45 PM »
I upgraded from a 40D to a 7D. I was impressed with how it dealt with processionals and recessionals at weddings. It made up for the disappointment I felt when I went from the 5D to the 5D2.

I see no need for a 7D2 at the moment. Hope they sort out the bugs soon on the 5D3.

I really don't understand why so many people feel that there is no need for progress. The 7D is everything but perfect. High ISO noise is not too good, dynamic range could be improved, it doesn't have the Digic V processor - of course you can take great pictures with it, but there is a lot of room for improvement.

I think that it is about time to improve the AF system of the 60D, which means that the 7D needs a significant improvement to have room above an improved 70D. From the reviews I read Nikon is significantly ahead especially in AF features and probably performance.

smirkypants

« Reply #261 on: April 14, 2012, 01:24:05 PM »
I really don't understand why so many people feel that there is no need for progress. The 7D is everything but perfect. High ISO noise is not too good, dynamic range could be improved, it doesn't have the Digic V processor - of course you can take great pictures with it, but there is a lot of room for improvement.

I think that it is about time to improve the AF system of the 60D, which means that the 7D needs a significant improvement to have room above an improved 70D. From the reviews I read Nikon is significantly ahead especially in AF features and probably performance.
+1
The IQ on the 7D is pretty mediocre and verging on bad given recent improvements in sensors. If you're used to an iPhone it's great, but it's behind the Nikon d7000 in image quality and dynamic range. 800 sees degradation and 1600 ISO starts to get really sketchy. Given that it's marketed as a sports enthusiasts camera, this really won't do. You need 1600 ISO to get high shutter speeds when it's cloudy, unless you're shooting f2.8.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #261 on: April 14, 2012, 01:24:05 PM »

V8Beast

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: April 14, 2012, 01:48:04 PM »

Nah, I wouldn't expect Canon to build such a body in a 1-series chassis.  That would be crazy, although I certainly wouldn't complain if it happened :) If the 7D2 has the same gripless form factor and similar weather sealing and build quality as the 7D and 5D3, that would be fine by me. Considering that many sports shooters already supplement their 1D4s with 7Ds, I can see a camera like this being wildly popular with both pros and enthusiasts. I know you can get stunningly good results with an APS-C sensor, but fitting an APS-H sensor into the 7D2 would allow Canon to easily address people's noise and IQ complaints of the 7D.   

Marsu42

• 1D X
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #263 on: April 14, 2012, 02:00:20 PM »
but fitting an APS-H sensor into the 7D2 would allow Canon to easily address people's noise and IQ complaints of the 7D.

... while voiding all their investments in ef-s lenses and making them join a lynchmob to get Canon. Not all 7d users shoot sports or birds with tele ef lenses, many (at least the guys I see around) are your average well-off customer with a kit lens or maybe 17-55 & ef-s ultrawide. You don't need aps-h to get more iq (noise & dr), see Nikon d7000, released over a year ago.

V8Beast

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: April 14, 2012, 03:08:30 PM »

... while voiding all their investments in ef-s lenses and making them join a lynchmob to get Canon.

Not really. If the APS-H ever made it into the 7D2, Canon could just make the 70D the successor to 7D. An APS-H 7D2 would create a new niche. Between a 7D-like 70D and all the Rebel models, there would still be a huge market for EF-S lenses. In this scenario, if current 7D users don't like an APS-H 7D2, a 70D would fit their needs well.

Plus, the xxD line has gotten a bit goofy with the 60D. It's more of a higher-priced Rebel than a successor to the 50D. A camera that's like the current 7D, but sold as a 70D, would create a clear distinction between the Rebel and xxD line. 

dlleno

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: April 14, 2012, 04:30:03 PM »
[/quote

I see the room for an upgraded 7D2, and without regards to what sensor might be used ,the marketing problem still exists:  a 70D and a 7D at the same time?  as for product differentiation, if Canon thinks there is room for three (7D, xxD, rebel) then 7D2 will have to be more than just an xxD with better focusing and fps.  It will have to have some IQ advantage as well.  While I'd prefer a 1.3 as you do, there might be room for three lines all at 1.6 -- if they can get the IQ up there.  the problem with a 1.3 in a 7D2 is that the number 7 is too high

V8Beast

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: April 14, 2012, 08:13:09 PM »
I see the room for an upgraded 7D2, and without regards to what sensor might be used ,the marketing problem still exists:  a 70D and a 7D at the same time?  as for product differentiation, if Canon thinks there is room for three (7D, xxD, rebel) then 7D2 will have to be more than just an xxD with better focusing and fps.  It will have to have some IQ advantage as well.

I agree 1000%.

While I'd prefer a 1.3 as you do, there might be room for three lines all at 1.6 -- if they can get the IQ up there.  the problem with a 1.3 in a 7D2 is that the number 7 is too high

OK, they can just call it a 6D :) Canon hasn't yet proven that it can build a APS-C sensor that can go head to head with the D7000. If Canon does, then the APS-H talk is kinda pointless, but then again, stuffing a 1.3 sensor in the 7D2 wouldn't just match but stomp anything Nikon has to offer at that price point.

On a side note, it's refreshing to be speculating on speculating on rumors for something other than the 5D3 for a change :D 

!Xabbu

« Reply #267 on: April 15, 2012, 03:28:26 AM »
I see the room for an upgraded 7D2, and without regards to what sensor might be used ,the marketing problem still exists:  a 70D and a 7D at the same time?  as for product differentiation, if Canon thinks there is room for three (7D, xxD, rebel) then 7D2 will have to be more than just an xxD with better focusing and fps.  It will have to have some IQ advantage as well.

I agree 1000%.

While I'd prefer a 1.3 as you do, there might be room for three lines all at 1.6 -- if they can get the IQ up there.  the problem with a 1.3 in a 7D2 is that the number 7 is too high

OK, they can just call it a 6D :) Canon hasn't yet proven that it can build a APS-C sensor that can go head to head with the D7000. If Canon does, then the APS-H talk is kinda pointless, but then again, stuffing a 1.3 sensor in the 7D2 wouldn't just match but stomp anything Nikon has to offer at that price point.

On a side note, it's refreshing to be speculating on speculating on rumors for something other than the 5D3 for a change :D

It seems to me like Canon is currently making a lot of money with their current line up. The 7D, 60D and 600D are more or less all the same camera just with different FPS, AF and micro adjust in the 7D. So, it seems to me that there is no marketing problem at all.

As to the APS-H sensor (and I know this might be a stupid question) - will it need a bigger body than the 7D currently has? I feel like most people don't want a brick like the 1D bodies and rather would go with something smaller like the 7D.

+1 to your side note - the 5D III is way out of my price range and hence it's cool to find some discussion around cameras, which I might be able to afford.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #267 on: April 15, 2012, 03:28:26 AM »

D.Sim

« Reply #268 on: April 15, 2012, 03:39:25 AM »

I agree 1000%.

It seems to me like Canon is currently making a lot of money with their current line up. The 7D, 60D and 600D are more or less all the same camera just with different FPS, AF and micro adjust in the 7D. So, it seems to me that there is no marketing problem at all.

As to the APS-H sensor (and I know this might be a stupid question) - will it need a bigger body than the 7D currently has? I feel like most people don't want a brick like the 1D bodies and rather would go with something smaller like the 7D.

+1 to your side note - the 5D III is way out of my price range and hence it's cool to find some discussion around cameras, which I might be able to afford.

If you can fit an FF sensor into a 5D body, a APSH sensor wouldnt need something *much* bigger than the 7D now. Remove the flash and you have even more space - what with not needing a capacitor.

briansquibb

« Reply #269 on: April 15, 2012, 06:05:36 AM »
I wish that people would stop going on about people's investment in EF-S lens when they are considering upgrading. To hog tie yourself to a specific technology is to put a ceiling on what can be achieved – so why limit yourself to APS-C when it is clearly demonstrable that other technologies can deliver more. APS-C is a budget technology nowadays, technology has moved on and as photographers we should always be aiming for the best.

There is pretty much a consensus about the best glass on the body is the way to go. So people wanting to upgrade their bodies will almost certainly already have a collection of non EF-S lens.

How many really top quality ef-s lens are there to really consider?

- 10-22
- 17-55
- 15-85

???

People upgrade because they want something better than they currently have. What is being discussed in this thread is the IQ improvement, specifically moving from APS-C to APS-H which would give an upgrade path from the current 7D to provide better IQ, better low light performance and higher fps - in other words a super sports body without going down the more expensive (for lens) ff route.

At the moment the lens technology is limiting us, from a budgetary point of view, from delivering a mid-range solution with full frame sensors to get the reach that many want for their photography. As said many times the 1.3 crop APS-H approach is a compromise solution, not the best in anything just very good all round. The 1.3 sensor is much cheaper to produce than ff, so it will be possible to continue for Canon to produce bodies in the price range of the 7D/5DII whilst delivering technological improvements – we already know it would be straight forward for them to deliver high mps sensors (40+)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #269 on: April 15, 2012, 06:05:36 AM »