October 23, 2014, 07:03:17 AM

Author Topic: Canon 7Dmk2 any rumors??  (Read 91913 times)

!Xabbu

Re: Canon 7Dmk2 any rumors??
« Reply #285 on: April 18, 2012, 01:12:45 PM »

exactly, +1 on that.  its hard to imagine Canon abandoning the the crop body for serious wildlife.  I mean beyond the current xxD line which is basically an upscale rebel.    Just because Canon's announcement implied that the 1D4 would rest, doesn't mean the 1.3 is going away or that Canon would abandon the pro level wildlife photographers.  What form that will take is the question -  I'm not convinced that will be a 7D2 but I would certainly cheer if it was!   Speaking of upselling though -- a 1.3 7D would be quite an upsell for the recreational wildlifers.  Do you see the 1D4 crowd migrating to a body named higher than 1?

I think if the specs were right then they would move - 3D sounds good. Imagine a 1D4 with 22mps - the video would be great as well.

+1 the hesitancy might come  if Canon really does abandon the 1.3 and a 1.6x 7D2 becomes the only wildlife body.  But we haven't seen any real evidence that 1.3 is going away -- only that 1D and 1Ds are merging, which means a 1.3 could still  appear in a different model.  I like the 3D suggestion in fact.

This would leave the 7D as the premium 1.6x wildlife body, and the xxD as the premium rebel.  I have to admit, having suggested that 7D would be confusing with 70D, that 1D and 1Ds didn't seem to cause any undo discomfort, save the fact that they are merging now

It seems to me like Canon is nowhere close to the limit of APS-C sensors. Nikon's equivalent sensors give better high ISO noise, more dynamic range and overall higher quality than the Canon equivalent.

It's like the D800 - a lot of people would have said that you need an MF camera to get such good image quality, but better technology proofed them wrong. I believe that advances in APS-C technology will be able to bring the IQ closer to today's FF sensors.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #285 on: April 18, 2012, 01:12:45 PM »

briansquibb

« Reply #286 on: April 18, 2012, 01:36:30 PM »

It seems to me like Canon is nowhere close to the limit of APS-C sensors. Nikon's equivalent sensors give better high ISO noise, more dynamic range and overall higher quality than the Canon equivalent.

It's like the D800 - a lot of people would have said that you need an MF camera to get such good image quality, but better technology proofed them wrong. I believe that advances in APS-C technology will be able to bring the IQ closer to today's FF sensors.

Just remember that the Nikon APS-C has a bigger sensor than Canon

D800 is nowhere near a MF yet - rather like saying the a crop gives as good image quality as ff. High mps does not directly equate to high IQ

stilscream

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: April 18, 2012, 01:38:06 PM »
Nikon uses 1.5 crop vs 1.6 Canon uses, so larger sensor creates the differences in ISO noise reduction.
7d, 5d mk iii, 1d4, 1dx, 35mm f1.4L, 70-200mm IS ii USM, 300mm f4 IS USM, 600mm f4l is USM, 400mm f2.8l is usm, 14mm tamron f2.8, 17-40mm f4L, 24-70 f2.8L USM, 85f1.2L USM, 100mm f2.8 macro

!Xabbu

« Reply #288 on: April 18, 2012, 02:15:29 PM »

Just remember that the Nikon APS-C has a bigger sensor than Canon

D800 is nowhere near a MF yet - rather like saying the a crop gives as good image quality as ff. High mps does not directly equate to high IQ

OK, I wasn't aware of that - however, it seems like Nikon gets better IQ out of their 1.5 crop than Canon did out of FF -> see http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon_EOS_5D_Mark_II-vs-Nikon_D7000.

So, crop apparently already caught up with older FF.

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #289 on: April 18, 2012, 02:24:08 PM »
however, it seems like Nikon gets better IQ out of their 1.5 crop than Canon did out of FF. So, crop apparently already caught up with older FF.

I wouldn't really cite a computer generated comparison as a reliable source :-o ... esp. I really doubt the advantage of the d7000 in dynamic range (at which iso???) because it seems you can recover more dr out of Canon raw files than from Nikon. The noise comparison doesn't say what iso they tested or how it was averaged, that could have given you some doubt...

unfocused

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #290 on: April 18, 2012, 02:34:39 PM »
Nikon Rumors is reporting that the D3200 will be announced within the next 24 hours, with a 24 mp sensor. This is, of course, a Rebel equivalent.

Canon likes to hand down sensor technology from the top of the line (7D) to the lower levels. Nikon seems to be less concerned about that. Honestly, I'm not excited about a 24mp sensor (I'd rather Canon stick with 18-20 mp and improve ISO and dynamic range), but given the rave reviews that the D800 seems to be getting, it will be interesting to see how this 24mp sensor performs in comparison to Canon's current APS-C sensor.

Competition is good, so it will be fun to see how Canon reacts. I don't anticipate a new 7D until Photokina. This will give Canon at least four months to dissect the new Nikon sensor and figure out how to best it. I'm hoping Nikon has really raised the bar.

I can't wait to see how much APS-C sensor technology has advanced since the release of the 7D nearly three years ago. This new Nikon should give us an idea about that.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #291 on: April 18, 2012, 02:39:30 PM »
Nikon Rumors is reporting that the D3200 will be announced within the next 24 hours, with a 24 mp sensor. This is, of course, a Rebel equivalent.

I really hope this gives "double the price for everything" Canon such a kick in the a** that they either quit the race or get a grip - a affordable full frame successor to the 5d2 might be a good start, and I recently read in this forum that Canon's techs seem to have something in mind if the d800 keeps selling.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #291 on: April 18, 2012, 02:39:30 PM »

!Xabbu

« Reply #292 on: April 18, 2012, 02:54:07 PM »
however, it seems like Nikon gets better IQ out of their 1.5 crop than Canon did out of FF. So, crop apparently already caught up with older FF.

I wouldn't really cite a computer generated comparison as a reliable source :-o ... esp. I really doubt the advantage of the d7000 in dynamic range (at which iso???) because it seems you can recover more dr out of Canon raw files than from Nikon. The noise comparison doesn't say what iso they tested or how it was averaged, that could have given you some doubt...

The computer generated comparison uses DxO results as a basis for the analysis. Many people seem to consider DxO to be a reliable source. DR will most likely be done at ISO 100 and a better RAW file format doesn't replace a better sensor. Anyway, my point is that we'll definitely see an APS-C sensor in - let's say 5 years - that will have a much better performance than for example the 5D II.

Overall, I believe that a modern APS-C is already much better than an old FF (like for example the 5D) - and this development will keep on going.

briansquibb

« Reply #293 on: April 18, 2012, 03:01:39 PM »

Overall, I believe that a modern APS-C is already much better than an old FF (like for example the 5D) - and this development will keep on going.

I would put my 1Ds3 up against a 7D - especially at iso1600

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #294 on: April 18, 2012, 03:03:13 PM »
Anyway, my point is that we'll definitely see an APS-C sensor in - let's say 5 years - that will have a much better performance than for example the 5D II.

No doubt at all about this - actually, this is what I've been saying again and again. The only question is how much the ff technology advances at the same time and if it is able to keep the distance to aps-c in noise and dynamic range and if the cpu tech in 5 years will allow your average ff body to take pictures with 10fps, too.

For the average photog, I think the point has been already reached when a ff sensor does not deliver any serious advantage for your average shots at ok lighting. When I recover highlights from raw (that's why I have insisted on this) and shoot at up to iso 400, I can hardly say anything negative about the iq from my 60d and there are very few shots in between when I find it really lacking.

dlleno

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: April 18, 2012, 03:11:37 PM »

Canon likes to hand down sensor technology from the top of the line (7D) to the lower levels. Nikon seems to be less concerned about that. Honestly, I'm not excited about a 24mp sensor (I'd rather Canon stick with 18-20 mp and improve ISO and dynamic range), but given the rave reviews that the D800 seems to be getting, it will be interesting to see how this 24mp sensor performs in comparison to Canon's current APS-C sensor.

Competition is good, so it will be fun to see how Canon reacts. I don't anticipate a new 7D until Photokina. This will give Canon at least four months to dissect the new Nikon sensor and figure out how to best it. I'm hoping Nikon has really raised the bar.

I can't wait to see how much APS-C sensor technology has advanced since the release of the 7D nearly three years ago. This new Nikon should give us an idea about that.

+1.  I think Canon is getting serious wake up call and swift kick in the pants from the competition.  A high-performance 1.6 would be awesome.  Because of pixel density I don't see the 1.6 ever approaching the larger sensors in noise/ISO at least at the same technology cycle.  But as the technology improves, all formats will benefit.  Rather than handing stuff down, though it seems the other way to me:  what they learn in the crops appears in the larger sensors at lower pixel densities with improved IQ.

briansquibb

« Reply #296 on: April 18, 2012, 03:18:31 PM »

+1.  I think Canon is getting serious wake up call and swift kick in the pants from the competition.  A high-performance 1.6 would be awesome.  Because of pixel density I don't see the 1.6 ever approaching the larger sensors in noise/ISO at least at the same technology cycle.  But as the technology improves, all formats will benefit.  Rather than handing stuff down, though it seems the other way to me:  what they learn in the crops appears in the larger sensors at lower pixel densities with improved IQ.

So back to the 30mps 1.3 which would frighten Noink

unfocused

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #297 on: April 18, 2012, 04:38:22 PM »
Rather than handing stuff down, though it seems the other way to me:  what they learn in the crops appears in the larger sensors at lower pixel densities with improved IQ.

Sorry, imprecise writing on my part.

I just meant that Canon tends to introduce its latest and greatest sensors in the most expensive bodies and then hand that sensor down to less expensive. 7D to 60D to T3i for example. I agree that they are no doubt using what they learn with smaller sensor technologies and applying those lessons to bigger sensors. In fact, I suspect that the APS-C sensor has benefited from lessons learned in the point and shoots.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #297 on: April 18, 2012, 04:38:22 PM »

Marsu42

• View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #298 on: April 18, 2012, 05:22:22 PM »
I just meant that Canon tends to introduce its latest and greatest sensors in the most expensive bodies and then hand that sensor down to less expensive. 7D to 60D to T3i for example.
I thought so, too, until I was told better - and now I can correct you :-) ... the 18mp sensor was 7d to t2i to 60d to t3i (see http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/cameras/Canon_rumours.html#canon_age_chart) and before that, Canon introduced new sensors not only "trickle down" but when it suited them marketing-wise or they had the tech ready to go.

dlleno

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: April 18, 2012, 07:42:48 PM »
yea with three different 1.6x crop bodies they have a lot of choices and can put a given sensor in whatever body that makes sense to their bottom line.  I'm more interested, not so much in which part number appears in which body (although that is interesting, to be sure) , but what is the technology lifecycle of the sensor in the body and how the technology learnings cross the C-H-FF boundaries.  With the volumes of 1.6x bodies flying off the shelves Canon has a good proving ground for studying the artifacts of pixel density,and then to apply those learnings to the larger sensors.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #299 on: April 18, 2012, 07:42:48 PM »