October 25, 2014, 11:40:39 PM

Author Topic: Canon 7Dmk2 any rumors??  (Read 92015 times)

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Canon 7Dmk2 any rumors??
« Reply #375 on: April 28, 2012, 09:45:30 PM »

Riddle me this.

If you could buy a Canon DSLR today that was full frame but cropped was 18-20MP, would you buy it and crop or would you use the pictures as they were? Or if there was a crop mode for use with L lenses, would you use it?
Today? In the last couple of months I've used a 5D3 a 1D4 and a 7D for shots at a distance with the best of L lenses ... a 400/2.8. The 5D just doesn't cut it. Of course I shoot a sport that is shot at a very great distance. On a very bright, crisp sunny day, I prefer the 7D. On a day shooting in less than ideal conditions, I prefer the 1D4. I suppose if I were shooting basketball I wouldn't mind the 5D3.

Yes, today. Imagine the 5D3 had 45MP so that when crop'd to APS-C, it delivered 18MP.

Would you....
... use the 45MP full frame and crop everything (or use a crop mode)
... shoot everything full and still complain about "reach" and maybe crop a little
... ignore it and continue to use a 7D because it has "more reach" when you look through the view finder?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #375 on: April 28, 2012, 09:45:30 PM »

smirkypants

« Reply #376 on: April 28, 2012, 10:01:47 PM »

Yes, today. Imagine the 5D3 had 45MP so that when crop'd to APS-C, it delivered 18MP.

Would you....
... use the 45MP full frame and crop everything (or use a crop mode)
... shoot everything full and still complain about "reach" and maybe crop a little
... ignore it and continue to use a 7D because it has "more reach" when you look through the view finder?
I don't have to imagine, Dil... I have a Nikon 200-400/f4 lens that I'm using with a Nikon d800 camera. The results are spectacular.

If I'm shooting something that has a lot of close stuff going on, I'll shoot full-frame and crop the hell out of stuff. Sometimes I'm forced to be behind a line so then I'll shoot at 1.2 crop with a 25mp file.

The attached shot was shot full-frame and then about 50% was cropped away.

Now... if it shot at 8fps, I'd be thrilled.

AprilForever

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • AprilForever.com
« Reply #377 on: April 28, 2012, 11:48:20 PM »
So, back to the topic... No new rumors?
What is truth?

!Xabbu

« Reply #378 on: April 29, 2012, 01:24:24 AM »

Not everyone wants to go FF. I assume that the entry level FF will have either the 5D II AF system or a slightly better one, but nothing close to 7D. And on top of that there is the extra reach you get from APS-C.

Yes, please add the Tokina 11-16mm and the Tamron 17-50mm non-VC (I don't know why you ignore non OEM). They might be not as good as some of the L glass, but they are cheaper and deliver great pictures for their price point. Not everyone has $2,000 laying around "just" for a single lens.

We are talking about the 7D upgrade havin the 1D4 AF - far better than the 7D

If you think a L lens is $2000 then you are looking in the wrong place.

Used 17-40 are $5-600
Used 24-105 are $about 1000

Not that different from APS-C, which are budget lens - not designed for the top of the range 7D and up cameras

OK, my last post regarding the EF-S topic in here, but did you ever use one? The build quality of the 17-55mm f/2.8 is very good - perhaps not up to L standards, but still good enough for most people (even 7D owners). Comparing it to the 24-105mm, you're getting superior IQ and a faster lens for less money and you get a new lens. I bet there are enough people who find this deal interesting.

The 17-40mm is known to have only OK IQ and again it is slow. Take the Tokina 11-16mm in comparison - I get a faster lens with way superior IQ and L built quality (OK, no weather sealing - I give you that) again for the same price new.

Third, whenever I mention my 70-200mm f/4 L non-IS lens on this forum someone jumps up that this is a slow and boring budget lens - I personally love this lens, but there seem to be many people who have an unlimited stash of money and buy only the best equipment - lucky you.

The rest of us might still be OK photographers and might want great AF, but can't afford a 5D III - the new entry level FF will not have great AF, because then it would eat away sales from the 5D III.

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: April 29, 2012, 02:26:25 AM »
So, back to the topic... No new rumors?

So far as I remember, the most recent rumor posted here on the front page is that there wouldn't be a 7D MkII, so....

briansquibb

« Reply #380 on: April 29, 2012, 03:42:32 AM »

We are talking about the 7D upgrade havin the 1D4 AF - far better than the 7D

If you think a L lens is $2000 then you are looking in the wrong place.

Used 17-40 are $5-600
Used 24-105 are $about 1000

Not that different from APS-C, which are budget lens - not designed for the top of the range 7D and up cameras

OK, my last post regarding the EF-S topic in here, but did you ever use one?

Since I moved to digital I have aways had an APS-C camera - 40d/50d/7D. 50D was sold to buy the 7D. In March 2012 I gave away my 40D to a friend along with the 18-55 and 55-250. You will no doubt have spotted the 7D on my kit line - perhaps not ::)

The build quality of the 17-55mm f/2.8 is very good - perhaps not up to L standards, but still good enough for most people (even 7D owners). Comparing it to the 24-105mm, you're getting superior IQ and a faster lens for less money and you get a new lens. I bet there are enough people who find this deal interesting.

I own a 17-40 and 24-105 and both are in regular use.

The 17-40mm is known to have only OK IQ and again it is slow. Take the Tokina 11-16mm in comparison - I get a faster lens with way superior IQ and L built quality (OK, no weather sealing - I give you that) again for the same price new.

Third, whenever I mention my 70-200mm f/4 L non-IS lens on this forum someone jumps up that this is a slow and boring budget lens - I personally love this lens, but there seem to be many people who have an unlimited stash of money and buy only the best equipment - lucky you.

I own a 17-40 and 24-105 and both are in regular use. Both are excellent lens and stalwarts of the L range. The 24-105 is a great zoom on aps-c, short end does portraits, long end is a useful short telephoto - very different use from the 17-55 which are trying to compare it with. The 24-105 of course is the kit lens of the 5DIII and is used by a lot of pro wedding photographers. Have you owned either lens that you are critisizing?

I also own a 70-200 f/4 non IS - which has the focussing broken. When it was working I gave it a lot of use - as you say - top IQ.

You are advocating ef-s lens as the way ahead - but howabout the non L ef lens - such as the 50 f/1.4 and the 85 f/1.8 which I always put in the bag too ?? You could buy these two used/refurb for the price of the 17-55.

I buy pre-owned kit to make my pension go further, I have only bought 3 lens new for example and all my bodies have been pre-owned.

This thread is about the 7DII and I believe it should not be competing with the 5DIII so it will have to have a new feature set - a 5DII level AF would not be accepted as that would be a downgrade from the existing 7D AF. Just 10fps and better AF and metering link to the AF point would achieve that plus improvements to the low light would consolidate it as an excellent entry level sports camera
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 03:48:00 AM by briansquibb »

dlleno

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: April 30, 2012, 07:55:21 PM »
focus should definately stay on 7D2 rumors and related topics that might shape such rumors.  imho, The EF-S vs L discussion is only relevant to the extent that 7D2  might take a more prominant place on the stage of wildlife bodies.  For example if Canon really does kill the 1.3x sensor (as the owner of this forum and site maintains), AND maintains commitment to a crop body for wildlife, THEN the next pro-level wildlife body (meaning 1D4 successor) could be a 1.6x, in which case the high-end APS-C lenses start to become more important to a crowd other than amatuers and prosumers.  Whether or not such a camera would be the 7D2 is another topic, to be sure.

But yea to maintain focus on the OP, I agree lets keep this to the 7D2 body specs and release timing, what 1.6x sensor Canon has up its sleave, and whether or not the 7D2 will be a yawn or a game changer.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #381 on: April 30, 2012, 07:55:21 PM »

jouster

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: May 01, 2012, 12:44:13 PM »
Well, I have no rumors to contribute. But add me to those hoping Canon never abandons the APS-C format. I bolt mine to the back of a 100mm apochromatic scope and image the Moon and planets. APS-C works well for this, giving me more effective reach.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 01:03:46 PM by jouster »

dlleno

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: May 01, 2012, 03:17:57 PM »

If only it were that simple, though -- just think:   The IQ/MP discussion would be moot, MP counts could go arbitrarily high and still meet IQ/ISO goals, pixel density wouldn't matter and the 7D2 could be a FF  -- oh wait but if that were possible,  then Canon could raise the pixel density even higher in a  crop sensor and still win the large print contest over a cropped FF image producing the same FOV

!Xabbu

« Reply #384 on: May 02, 2012, 12:50:20 PM »

If only it were that simple, though -- just think:   The IQ/MP discussion would be moot, MP counts could go arbitrarily high and still meet IQ/ISO goals, pixel density wouldn't matter and the 7D2 could be a FF  -- oh wait but if that were possible,  then Canon could raise the pixel density even higher in a  crop sensor and still win the large print contest over a cropped FF image producing the same FOV

And we shouldn't even think about the price point. A 5D3 with 45MP, 14 FPS and 61-point AF would probably be priced well above $10K...

briansquibb

« Reply #385 on: May 02, 2012, 12:55:37 PM »

And we shouldn't even think about the price point. A 5D3 with 45MP, 14 FPS and 61-point AF would probably be priced well above $10K...

where can I order one  :o :o :o

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #386 on: May 02, 2012, 03:33:25 PM »

where can I order one  :o :o :o

Send me the money, Brian. I'll take care of everything.

You want overnight shipping on that?

Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

Ew

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: May 02, 2012, 03:48:45 PM »
A 7DmII with revamped 3200 iso to have much less noise (5D2 or slightly better) and IQ closer to 5D2, and no other changes would be enough for me.
5D3 | 600D | EOSm | Samyang 8mm 3.8T | Samyang 14 2.8 | 17-40 | 28 1.8 | Sig 35 1.4 | 40 | 50 1.4 | 100 2.0 | 135 L | 70-200 4L IS + x1.4mk2 | Nippon Kogaku 50 1.4 (1965) | Nikkor 43-86 (mid 1970s) | M: 22

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #387 on: May 02, 2012, 03:48:45 PM »

stabmasterasron

« Reply #388 on: May 02, 2012, 03:57:24 PM »
My two cents (for what it's worth) - we will have at least a 7dmkii announcement before Christmas.  What is this based on - nothing, just hoping.  I want a 7D type camera, but can wait 6 months if I can get a next gen version (cue the haters telling me not to wait - take pics now - don't worry I can rent the 7D as often as I want).  Don't know if there will be a 7dmkii, but even the 70D will likely have better iso performance and good enough frame rates.  I know I am mixing together lots of unannounced equipment - go ahead and flame.

dlleno

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: May 02, 2012, 05:33:25 PM »
I'd suggest the weight of evidence does suggest a 7D2 this calendar year.  if you look at the product life cycle history, you'll see that except for the 1Ds3, the 7D has been out as long or longer than any other camera body in all of Canon DSLR history, without being updated.  Allowing for Tsunami delays, and the market drive to update crop cameras more often (witness Rebels and xxD)  I'd say we're over due for a new 7D and Canon's silence on this topic suggests to me that they have something up their sleeve. 

Just on the basis of its original intro (premium prosumer crop/wildlife) the 7D has been very succesful and would be due for an update without any change in its market positioning -- and this is without regards to all of the noise about a possible 1.6x pro level wildlife body to replace the 1D4 if 1.3x is dead.  If 1.3 is really dead, then if you ask me that puts upward pressure on the capability set of the 7D2

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #389 on: May 02, 2012, 05:33:25 PM »