September 02, 2014, 09:21:56 PM

Author Topic: Canon 7Dmk2 any rumors??  (Read 89801 times)

ruuneos

Re: Canon 7D Mark II specs wishlist.
« Reply #90 on: March 06, 2012, 07:43:20 AM »
I am a photographer who owns and uses the current 7D extensively, and I really like the camera. It is a very good step up from other APS-C cameras.

My 7DmkII wishlist is:
  • 5 Custom settings on mode dial (get rid of "Creative Auto" and "Full Auto")
  • Apart from that keep the body the same
  • At least 2 stops cleaner 18MP APS-C sensor
  • Improved DR at all ISOs, especially at 100 and 200 (for landscapes)
  • Exposure bracketing allowing up to 9 photos (+/- 5EV)
  • Dual Digic 5+ (one dedicated to AF)
  • Built in interval meter
  • Price AUD $1800 - $2000

Possibly / optional (points below not critical to me)
  • Possibly up to 30 AF points (all cross-type, need to be well spaced out
  • ISO up to 25,600 (or 51,200 - even if noisy)
  • Fast & full time AF for video & Live View - linked to AF button (can use FT MF on USM lenses)
  • Dedicated mirror lock-up button, or assignable to an existing button eg MFn
  • Sturdy flip out screen (useful for macros)
  • Option of 12fps @ 8MP or 10 fps @ 10 MP
  • Dual cards (SD backup for ultra critical events / photo outings)
  • With these 'optional' points included above, price AUD $2000 - $2200

Am I being unreasonable?

Paul
Totally agreeing with you! +1

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #90 on: March 06, 2012, 07:43:20 AM »

5dmk.iii

« Reply #91 on: March 06, 2012, 11:55:13 AM »
Since this is a wishlist - built in battery grip would be great!

Built in? you mean a 1D form factor? What about the people who want a lighter body?

unfocused

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #92 on: March 06, 2012, 08:53:13 PM »
27MP sensor maybe 28(they will want to 1 up sony i am sure of it :P ) i

I don't think (hope) so.

Canon seems to be going all-in on the "less is more" mantra for sensors. I really believe they have listened to their customer complaints about too many pixels. I also believe that Canon, better than any other manufacturer, knows the limits of pixel density.

People assume that the high megapixel APS-H sensor Canon experimented with was headed for market. But it's also entirely possible that they learned some things about the limits of what could be done and what the downsides might be. Most research is more likely to result in learning what you don't want to do rather than what you do want to do.

They have been on the cutting edge of resolution density for the past several years. Perhaps they learned some things in their research and development and/or marketing research that made them decide to go in a different direction.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

nicku

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 07, 2012, 02:27:28 AM »

Built in? you mean a 1D form factor? What about the people who want a lighter body?

make it in two bodies type, one with integrated grip and one without. that feature will be a premier in DSLR market.

....and the price can be under $2400 ( say $2399 for the gripped one and $ 1799-1899 for the normal body). i personally believe that the gripped one will have more success.

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 07, 2012, 02:30:20 AM »

make it in two bodies type, one with integrated grip and one without. that feature will be a premier in DSLR market.

....and the price can be under $2400 ( say $2399 for the gripped one and $ 1799-1899 for the normal body). i personally believe that the gripped one will have more success.

This is a great idea one i wish had been implemented with the 1Dx for those of us that hate grips and the extra bulk they create. thankfully the 5D3 looks like its gonna deliver the goods :)
APS-H Fanboy

funkboy

• 7D
  • 6D & a bunch of crazy primes
    • View Profile
Re: Canon 7Dmk2 any rumors??
« Reply #95 on: March 08, 2012, 03:40:36 AM »
Really though, this isn't that hard to predict. Too many people get caught up in what they want companies to do, instead of looking at what they are doing. An objective examination of Canon's recent actions points pretty clearly in this direction.

Agree wholeheartedly.

funkboy

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 08, 2012, 04:19:41 AM »
Well, if Canon sticks with their current (& much-appreciated) theme of not giving a toss about the megapixel race and trying to make the best cameras possible, I think a 7DII would look something like this:

• new backlit APS-C sensor bringing associated low-light performance improvements
  • as few MP as they think they can get away with, I'd imagine somewhere between 16 & 18
  • single digic 5+.  plenty of processing power and keeps costs down & battery life up
  • as many of the new features from the 5DIII that they can squeeze in - hopefully the reduced moiré video processing will reduce the need for a strong AA filter
  • I'd imagine a bump in existing fps in order to placate those lamenting the loss of the 1D series.  9-10fps @16-18mp is likely possible with digic5+, and a 10fps APS-C mirror/shutter should be a walk in the park for them after having built the 1DX.
  • this is just a wish, but improved viewfinder if possible (the current one is already 1.0x/100% but perhaps they could make it a little brighter/snappier...)
  • under $US 2k

Look for an announcement either at Photokina or early 2013.

If they go with the backlit sensor or otherwise improve low-light performance by a stop or more, the 7DII could likely be viewed as the logical successor to the 1DIV.

I don't think we'll see a non-Ciné APS-H EOS DSLR again.  It's pretty clear that Canon's APS-H fabrication unit has moved over to the Cinema EOS side of the house (brilliant move on Canon's part; APS-H is almost exactly the same size as Super 35 so repurposing the fabs shouldn't have taken much effort).

Here's a thought: what if one of the forthcoming "for mere mortals" Ciné cameras and the rumored mirrorless system are the same thing?  There's an awful lot of synergy between the features of those two markets...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #96 on: March 08, 2012, 04:19:41 AM »

wickidwombat

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 08, 2012, 07:00:15 AM »
I think we should start sandbagging a levy here at canon rumors for when the 7D mk2 gets released at $2500+  to help stop the river of tears over the price :P
APS-H Fanboy

ruuneos

« Reply #98 on: March 08, 2012, 08:43:23 AM »
Yeah it will be early 2013, probably around same time as 5D3 came

stilscream

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 08, 2012, 09:51:09 PM »
I think we should start sandbagging a levy here at canon rumors for when the 7D mk2 gets released at $2500+  to help stop the river of tears over the price :P

+1000!! Ha ha. If you can't afford it, don't be mad at Canon. Perhaps take up another hobby? No way it's sub $2000. $2,100 at launch is my guess.

My hunch specs are 10fps
Better weather sealing (probably as vague as that too)
15mp with improved ISO performance
30-45 AF points
Dual CF/SD card slots
Headphones jack for video
Probably have something really gimmicky like available in off-white or 120fps 480video
7d, 5d mk iii, 1d4, 1dx, 35mm f1.4L, 70-200mm IS ii USM, 300mm f4 IS USM, 600mm f4l is USM, 400mm f2.8l is usm, 14mm tamron f2.8, 17-40mm f4L, 24-70 f2.8L USM, 85f1.2L USM, 100mm f2.8 macro

JonJT

« Reply #100 on: March 08, 2012, 10:59:05 PM »
Well, if Canon sticks with their current (& much-appreciated) theme of not giving a toss about the megapixel race and trying to make the best cameras possible, I think a 7DII would look something like this:

• new backlit APS-C sensor bringing associated low-light performance improvements
  • as few MP as they think they can get away with, I'd imagine somewhere between 16 & 18
  • single digic 5+.  plenty of processing power and keeps costs down & battery life up
  • as many of the new features from the 5DIII that they can squeeze in - hopefully the reduced moiré video processing will reduce the need for a strong AA filter
  • I'd imagine a bump in existing fps in order to placate those lamenting the loss of the 1D series.  9-10fps @16-18mp is likely possible with digic5+, and a 10fps APS-C mirror/shutter should be a walk in the park for them after having built the 1DX.
  • this is just a wish, but improved viewfinder if possible (the current one is already 1.0x/100% but perhaps they could make it a little brighter/snappier...)
  • under $US 2k

Look for an announcement either at Photokina or early 2013.

If they go with the backlit sensor or otherwise improve low-light performance by a stop or more, the 7DII could likely be viewed as the logical successor to the 1DIV.

I don't think we'll see a non-Ciné APS-H EOS DSLR again.  It's pretty clear that Canon's APS-H fabrication unit has moved over to the Cinema EOS side of the house (brilliant move on Canon's part; APS-H is almost exactly the same size as Super 35 so repurposing the fabs shouldn't have taken much effort).

Here's a thought: what if one of the forthcoming "for mere mortals" Ciné cameras and the rumored mirrorless system are the same thing?  There's an awful lot of synergy between the features of those two markets...

I was actually thinking of waiting for the 7Ds successor but, the inevitable price increase combined with what I believe will not be that large of an increase in sensor performance is making me want to buy a 7D now.

Michael7

« Reply #101 on: March 08, 2012, 11:44:33 PM »

+1000!! Ha ha. If you can't afford it, don't be mad at Canon. Perhaps take up another hobby? No way it's sub $2000. $2,100 at launch is my guess.

My hunch specs are 10fps
30-45 AF points
Dual CF/SD card slots
Probably have something really gimmicky like available in off-white or 120fps 480video

Looks good to me. Dropping the MP from 18 to 15 or 14 is a must.

wickidwombat

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 09, 2012, 12:54:31 AM »

My hunch specs are 10fps
30-45 AF points
Dual CF/SD card slots

Looks good to me. Dropping the MP from 18 to 15 or 14 is a must.

if they could do this and get IQ equivalent to say the 1D4 it will be awesome
a baby 1D4!

going back to a previous discussion if they made it say a 25MP APS-H that shot  say 5 or 6 FPS  in H mode and 10FPS in crop mode at 15MP and be able to use EF-S lenses accepting the vignette in H mode vs C mode
it would be totally awesome. all the while keeping IQ at 1D4 levels for ISO noise etc.

But I doubt we will see something this good
APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #102 on: March 09, 2012, 12:54:31 AM »

funkboy

• 7D
    • View Profile
APS-H mirror clearance of EF-S lenses
« Reply #103 on: March 09, 2012, 04:05:04 AM »
going back to a previous discussion if they made it say a 25MP APS-H that shot  say 5 or 6 FPS  in H mode and 10FPS in crop mode at 15MP and be able to use EF-S lenses accepting the vignette in H mode vs C mode
it would be totally awesome.

Don't hold your breath...  I'm pretty sure I remember a Chuck Westfall interview from a few years ago where he said that the Nikon-style "crop mode" wouldn't be possible due to mirror clearance of the rear element of EF-S lenses on cameras not designed for it.  If you think about it, when they designed EF-S in the first place they probably would have made every effort to maximize the benefits of the design by getting the rear element as close as possible to an APS-C mirror while guaranteeing 100% clearance.

Long ago I hacked the plastic ring off the back of a cheap used 18-55 like Bob Atkins did to get it to work on my 10D.  According to the measurements Bob mentions in the article the rear element just barely clears the mirror of the 10D, so in all likelyhood you can be pretty sure that an APS-H mirror would whack into it...
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 04:14:53 AM by funkboy »

KeithR

« Reply #104 on: March 10, 2012, 08:18:56 AM »
At 3200, it's either noise, nr-blur or artificial sharpness on nr-blur and the print or view size certainly cannot be 100%.

No, it's not. If this is what's happening in your case, it's down to you - your conversion and/or processing decisions need to be looked at.

I'll say it again. It's easy, but you need to figure it out.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #104 on: March 10, 2012, 08:18:56 AM »