August 29, 2014, 12:33:39 PM

Author Topic: Canon 7Dmk2 any rumors??  (Read 89692 times)

unfocused

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
Re: Canon 7Dmk2 any rumors??
« Reply #135 on: March 16, 2012, 01:55:44 PM »
Dang! We were so close to getting this thread back on track.

Well...the topic has probably pretty much played itself out, but just one general thought:

It seems like the 5DIII is all about the autofocus quality with some modest sensor improvements. (all else being just gravy)

I'm hoping the 7DII will be all about the sensor quality with some modest autofocus improvements. (all else being just gravy)
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #135 on: March 16, 2012, 01:55:44 PM »

skitron

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 16, 2012, 02:14:34 PM »
IMO they most certainly will have a successor to the 7D. Maybe they call it something else, but bottom line is they aren't going to leave a gaping hole in the price tiers between the current $1K xxD and the $3.5K 5D3.

And I suspect they aren't going to try to fill that hole more than thru year end with the existing 7D and 5D2.

They could kick up the ISO a stop, do a pair of Digic 5, an articulated/improved screen, add audio level control in the firmware and charge $2.5K for 7D2 all day long the way prices work these days.
5D3, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 100L, 24-105L, Sigma 50/1.4 DG, Canon TC 1.4x III

x-vision

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 17, 2012, 01:15:57 PM »
Canon slotted the 60D perfectly in-between the Rebels and the 7D.
Yet, the 60D is perceived as a super-Rebel and Canon is forced to sell it at Rebel prices.

To change that, Canon will likely spec the 70D better ... which will make it very close (identical?) to the 7D.

The only way I could see Canon having both 70D and 7DII in their lineup is if they put a different sensor in the 7DII.
Some new 1.6x sensor, with better low-light abilities than the sensor(s) in the next-gen Rebels and the 70D.

It's quite unlikely, though, that Canon will make a special sensor just for the 7DII.
More likely the 7D line will just be discontinued.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 01:50:25 AM by x-vision »

kaihp

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 18, 2012, 09:16:57 PM »
Yet, the 60D is perceived as a super-Rebel and Canon is forced to sell it at Rebel prices.

To change that, Canon will likely spec the 70D better ... which will make it very close (identical?) to the 7D.
So ... you're saying that Canon will push the xxD line back up to around where it was was BEFORE they introduced the 60D?  :)

The 60D was deliverately pushed down in the lineup to make a bigger difference between the 7D and the xxD line (compare the bodies of 50D with the 60D if you're in doubt), so I would doubt that Canon would reinstate the xxD line to where it was before. Personally, I consider a 7D2 (or whatever they'll end up calling it) to be more likely.

But we can definitely agree that there's a hole between the (Super) Rebels and the 5D's at the moment. As I see it, it is obvious that Canon will fill that hole with "something" - and right now we're calling that "something" 7D2. I don't see Canon pushing a "70D" upwards.

I have a 50D and would be looking to buy such a 7D2 body - I don't have the urge to pay for a FF sensor - an APS-C sensor is just fine, thank you. Since I shoot a lot of motorcycle track riding/racing, an upgraded 7D along the lines that has been suggested in this thread, would be close to perfect for me: I'm looking for a better AF system than I have now, better high-ISO performance and better IQ (neither the 50D nor the 7D images looks really sharp and crisp to me). No Mpix monster either, please - I have enough "bit-weights" on my hard drive(s). I rarely use full-auto, so the actual fps doesn't matter that much for me (8fps is fine), but the 7D feels much more 'snappy' than my 50D.

It's quite unlikely, though, that Canon will make a special sensor just for the 7DII.
Depends on what you mean by "a special sensor". If you're thinking an APS-H type sensor, I agree.
But I would be very surprised if they didn't make a new sensor at all for a 7D2.

x-vision

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 18, 2012, 11:14:40 PM »
I don't see Canon pushing a "70D" upwards.

This is where we differ. I believe they will.

Depends on what you mean by "a special sensor".

Right now Canon is using the same 18mp sensor for the Rebels, the 60D, and the 7D.
By a "a special sensor" for the 7DII I meant a sensor used exlcusively in the 7DII.

For example, let's say Canon puts a new 22mp sensor in the 70D and also in the next-gen Rebels - the same way as today.
Let's also say that they move the 70D upwards in terms of specs and price.
In this case I see no room in the lineup for a 22mp 7DII, as the 7DII would be basically identical to the 70D.

However, if Canon puts a 16mp sensor in the 7DII (or a 28mp sensor), then the 7D line might continue.

The point is, the 7DII sensor has to be different from the 70D and the Rebels for the 7D line to continue.
Otherwise, I don't see Canon keeping the 7D line in the lineup.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 12:41:59 AM by x-vision »

briansquibb

« Reply #140 on: March 19, 2012, 02:12:35 AM »
I don't see Canon pushing a "70D" upwards.

This is where we differ. I believe they will.

Depends on what you mean by "a special sensor".

Right now Canon is using the same 18mp sensor for the Rebels, the 60D, and the 7D.
By a "a special sensor" for the 7DII I meant a sensor used exlcusively in the 7DII.

For example, let's say Canon puts a new 22mp sensor in the 70D and also in the next-gen Rebels - the same way as today.
Let's also say that they move the 70D upwards in terms of specs and price.
In this case I see no room in the lineup for a 22mp 7DII, as the 7DII would be basically identical to the 70D.

However, if Canon puts a 16mp sensor in the 7DII (or a 28mp sensor), then the 7D line might continue.

The point is, the 7DII sensor has to be different from the 70D and the Rebels for the 7D line to continue.
Otherwise, I don't see Canon keeping the 7D line in the lineup.

This is where the APS-H could re-appear

nicku

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 19, 2012, 03:41:39 AM »

The only way I could see Canon having both 70D and 7DII in their lineup is if they put a different sensor in the 7DII.
Some new 1.6x sensor, with better low-light abilities than the sensor(s) in the next-gen Rebels and the 70D.

Nobody ( here on this thread ) have taked  in consideration the Nikon D300S replacement.

I am almost 100% sure that will be a 7D2. They will just not allow Nikon to rule supreme in the crop sensor Pro body segment. Don't mention the HUGE, HUGE commercial success of the current 7D camera.

The only question ( in my opinion) is when this will happen ?? before the new  Nikon D400 is announced  or shortly after (like D800 vs 5D3 case).

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #141 on: March 19, 2012, 03:41:39 AM »

funkboy

• 7D
  • 6D & a bunch of crazy primes
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 19, 2012, 05:58:45 AM »
Nobody ( here on this thread ) has taken into consideration the Nikon D300S replacement.

Not since the first page anyway... :-)

But you're right.  The 7D (& the forking of the "prosumer" lineup to 7D & 60D) was basically Canon's response to the Nikon D300 (the 60D could be seen as a response to the D90) & the demand for a more professional crop camera.  In a way, ever since the D3 and D300 came out Nikon has been calling the shots on what the market segments should look like, & it's been up to Canon to try to beat them at their own game.  It certainly took a while for them to react but I think that with the 5DII and 7D they were pretty much there, & they'll certainly continue that strategy for quite a while longer.  The industry is just on the tail end of the recovery from Fukushima, the banks breaking the economy, and the Thai floods; no one can afford a shakeup right now...

...Which is why they're both scared of Fujifilm.  Right now, the X-Pro 1 is the smallest, least expensive, and sexiest camera with wedding-photographer grade image quality, and Fuji still has plenty of other tricks up their sleeves to roll out over the next year or so.  I wouldn't be surprised at all if in a year's time we have a Fuji camera in the same size class and price bracket as the X10 with image quality as good as the current 7D.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 06:12:23 AM by funkboy »

briansquibb

« Reply #143 on: March 19, 2012, 08:38:56 AM »
...Which is why they're both scared of Fujifilm.  Right now, the X-Pro 1 is the smallest, least expensive, and sexiest camera with wedding-photographer grade image quality, and Fuji still has plenty of other tricks up their sleeves to roll out over the next year or so.  I wouldn't be surprised at all if in a year's time we have a Fuji camera in the same size class and price bracket as the X10 with image quality as good as the current 7D.

1. 7D is hardly a wedding grade camera
2. There isn't the range of lens to shoot a wedding.

Fujifilm will be a bit player for some time

smirkypants

« Reply #144 on: March 19, 2012, 09:28:35 AM »
It depends upon which corner of the trailer park you live in. Not everyone shoots $100,000 weddings.

briansquibb

« Reply #145 on: March 19, 2012, 09:41:31 AM »
It depends upon which corner of the trailer park you live in. Not everyone shoots $100,000 weddings.

True - a 10D would do it OK too

I would start true wedding grade with the 5Dc or 5DII

lonelywhitelights

• Rebel SL1
  • Adam Cross
    • View Profile
    • adamcrossstills.com
Re: Canon 7D Mark II specs wishlist.
« Reply #146 on: March 19, 2012, 09:56:08 AM »
New APS-C 18 MP sensor

Digic 5+ processor

All-I/IPB compression formats

Reduced Moire and rolling shutter

Flip out LCD

Headphone Jack

Manual Audio and on screen meters

Clean video at ISO 1600

Same great build quality as the 7D

$1999 or lower price point

7D replacement will never have a flip out LCD screen, it compromises build quality, build materials and weather sealing. For sports and wildlife shooters - a flip out LCD is completely pointless and not needed since the eye is generally glued to the view finder - for the indie film community it's pointless again because external monitors are used for higher resolution instead of the LCD
UK-based Film and Television Stills Photographer

kevl

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 19, 2012, 09:59:01 AM »

I'm hoping the 7DII will be all about the sensor quality with some modest autofocus improvements. (all else being just gravy)

My plan had been to upgrade from the T3i to the 5DMkIII but the price is way outside of my dream budget. So I am really hoping that the 7DII will be all about sensor quality.

Please please please Canon, please please!

Kev

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #147 on: March 19, 2012, 09:59:01 AM »

funkboy

• 7D
  • 6D & a bunch of crazy primes
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 19, 2012, 11:31:16 AM »
Uhm, I didn't say anything about the 7D & weddings; I was talking about the X-Pro 1:

Right now, the X-Pro 1 is the smallest, least expensive, and sexiest camera with wedding-photographer grade image quality, and Fuji still has plenty of other tricks up their sleeves to roll out over the next year or so.
I certainly wouldn't use it as my only camera, but with the 3 lenses they're shipping at release I think most professionals would be perfectly comfortable shooting a wedding with the X-pro 1 and 18/35/60mm trio (and maybe an adapted Nokton for posed portraits).  I'd want another body like a 5D with an ultrawide on it and maybe a zoom in the bag just in case, but that would pretty much do it for me.

2. There isn't the range of lens to shoot a wedding.  Fujifilm will be a bit player for some time
AF lens options will be limited for another year or so perhaps...  You can be sure that there are a lot of wedding/artistic/street/travel shooters out there without the dosh for a digital Leica M that own M glass that are looking very keenly at moving up to the X-pro 1.  The best adapted mirrorless options up 'till now (pana, oly, sony, ricoh, etc.) have been OK but none of them feel or handle like a rangefinder like the Fuji does, and the image quality speaks for itsself.  The fact that Fuji's AF lenses cost half as much as their Canon L or Sony/Zeiss counterparts will certainly push adoption as well.

briansquibb

« Reply #149 on: March 19, 2012, 11:41:31 AM »
I certainly wouldn't use it as my only camera, but with the 3 lenses they're shipping at release I think most professionals would be perfectly comfortable shooting a wedding with the X-pro 1 and 18/35/60mm trio (and maybe an adapted Nokton for posed portraits).  I'd want another body like a 5D with an ultrawide on it and maybe a zoom in the bag just in case, but that would pretty much do it for me.

I dont think wedding togs would like that at all.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #149 on: March 19, 2012, 11:41:31 AM »