December 18, 2014, 08:43:48 AM

Author Topic: Canon 7Dmk2 any rumors??  (Read 94403 times)

funkboy

• Canon 6D
  • 6D & a bunch of crazy primes
    • View Profile
Re: Canon 7Dmk2 any rumors??
« Reply #150 on: March 19, 2012, 12:22:38 PM »
I dont think wedding togs would like that at all.

Consider me smoten :-)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #150 on: March 19, 2012, 12:22:38 PM »

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 19, 2012, 06:08:19 PM »
Nobody ( here on this thread ) has taken into consideration the Nikon D300S replacement.

Not since the first page anyway... :-)

But you're right.  The 7D (& the forking of the "prosumer" lineup to 7D & 60D) was basically Canon's response to the Nikon D300 (the 60D could be seen as a response to the D90) & the demand for a more professional crop camera.  In a way, ever since the D3 and D300 came out Nikon has been calling the shots on what the market segments should look like, & it's been up to Canon to try to beat them at their own game.  It certainly took a while for them to react but I think that with the 5DII and 7D they were pretty much there, & they'll certainly continue that strategy for quite a while longer.  The industry is just on the tail end of the recovery from Fukushima, the banks breaking the economy, and the Thai floods; no one can afford a shakeup right now...

...Which is why they're both scared of Fujifilm.  Right now, the X-Pro 1 is the smallest, least expensive, and sexiest camera with wedding-photographer grade image quality, and Fuji still has plenty of other tricks up their sleeves to roll out over the next year or so.  I wouldn't be surprised at all if in a year's time we have a Fuji camera in the same size class and price bracket as the X10 with image quality as good as the current 7D.

Since I cant get smitted anymore i'm going to go out on a limb and say I think the fuji X10 image quality is better than the current canon 18MP sensor. it definately wins hands down in high ISO RAW and iso 100
strange considering its smaller sensor...
APS-H Fanboy

briansquibb

« Reply #152 on: March 19, 2012, 06:44:07 PM »
Nobody ( here on this thread ) has taken into consideration the Nikon D300S replacement.

Not since the first page anyway... :-)

But you're right.  The 7D (& the forking of the "prosumer" lineup to 7D & 60D) was basically Canon's response to the Nikon D300 (the 60D could be seen as a response to the D90) & the demand for a more professional crop camera.  In a way, ever since the D3 and D300 came out Nikon has been calling the shots on what the market segments should look like, & it's been up to Canon to try to beat them at their own game.  It certainly took a while for them to react but I think that with the 5DII and 7D they were pretty much there, & they'll certainly continue that strategy for quite a while longer.  The industry is just on the tail end of the recovery from Fukushima, the banks breaking the economy, and the Thai floods; no one can afford a shakeup right now...

...Which is why they're both scared of Fujifilm.  Right now, the X-Pro 1 is the smallest, least expensive, and sexiest camera with wedding-photographer grade image quality, and Fuji still has plenty of other tricks up their sleeves to roll out over the next year or so.  I wouldn't be surprised at all if in a year's time we have a Fuji camera in the same size class and price bracket as the X10 with image quality as good as the current 7D.

Since I cant get smitted anymore i'm going to go out on a limb and say I think the fuji X10 image quality is better than the current canon 18MP sensor. it definately wins hands down in high ISO RAW and iso 100
strange considering its smaller sensor...

Never liked the 7D IQ - so quite probably, but not close to the the 5s and 1s :D

wickidwombat

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 19, 2012, 06:49:24 PM »
Never liked the 7D IQ - so quite probably, but not close to the the 5s and 1s :D

oh no way, I put it's IQ close to the 1Dmk3 but the 1Dmk3 wins i think, i've been meaning to do a head head shootout between the 2 for fun with the 1D3 using the 14-105 f4 IS vs the x10 28-112 f2-2.8 IS
10MP vs 12MP both shoot at 10FPS
APS-H Fanboy

briansquibb

« Reply #154 on: March 19, 2012, 07:01:34 PM »

oh no way, I put it's IQ close to the 1Dmk3 but the 1Dmk3 wins i think, i've been meaning to do a head head shootout between the 2 for fun with the 1D3 using the 14-105 f4 IS vs the x10 28-112 f2-2.8 IS

Roll on the 7D2 complete with aps-h, pro af, twin cards, 16 mps and 10fps :D

wickidwombat

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 19, 2012, 07:06:38 PM »

yep I really hope they do that with the 7D2 :D that is exactly what I want.
it'll never happen though :( we'll have to keep dreaming about a baby 1D4
APS-H Fanboy

pj1974

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • A selection of my photos (copyright)
« Reply #156 on: March 19, 2012, 08:31:29 PM »
While I have been following the 'relatively' recent rumours and then announcements of the 1DX and 5DmkIII... it is the 7DmkII that I'm really most interested in.   ;)

The reason is that I have a 7D and I do not plan to move to a FF camera (at least, not at this stage). I enjoy photography as a serious and passionate hobby, and I take photos covering a wide variety of situations and genre.

I'm very happy with the 7D, though I do acknowledge actual image quality could be improved upon (noise at both low and higher ISO settings and dynamic range). There are also other improvements that could be implemented in a 7D replacement's handling and functionality too... However having written that, I find the 7D the most suitable camera for my needs and price range.   :)

Personally, I don't think that the 7D successor (aka 7DmkII) will be an APS-H camera.  Actually I think that the APS-H sensor won't be produced by Canon any more, for any camera.  Particularly with the announcement and release of the 1DX, I think the current / new Canon focus will be on APS-C for budget / entry level and 'reach' - and FF for megapixels and professionals.

I have a core set of lenses that I'm very happy with (including the Canon EF-S 15-85mm USM IS and the Sigma 10-20mm EX - which are only suitable for Canon APS-C  cameras). I also love the 70-300mm L on my 7D (giving me the 'equivalent' of a 112 - 480mm in 35mm format). The Canon 100mm USM macro rounds out this 'core lens set'.   :P

So as a few people have already mentioned, I hope that the major improvement to the 7D will be better image quality (eg less noise at all ISOs). If they improve the AF and FPS, that will be a bonus.  But I'm very content with the current 19 cross-type AF points and the 8 FPS.  For example 2 weeks ago I took a series of bird in flight photos that I'm very happy with, and have received a lot of praise and appreciation from many people, including many serious photographers.  See the photos attached to this post (note they have been downscaled for web).

Therefore I'm looking forward to what the future holds. I doubt that I'll 'jump' at the new 7DmkII when it's released, unless my current 7D is dead or 'on the way out' - and the 7DmkII street price upon release seems right. I expect I'll wait till I'll really need a replacement / new camera. Who knows, that might be when the 7DmkIII is being rumoured about... or even released. I used my Canon 350D from 2005 till I got my 7D in late 2009, and I use my 350D as a backup, and it still takes good photos (even with a high - over 80,000 shutter count!)   8)

Best regards....

Paul
I'm not a brand-fanatic. What I do appreciate is using my 7D and 350D cameras along with a host of lenses & many accessories to capture quality photos, and share with friends.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #156 on: March 19, 2012, 08:31:29 PM »

wickidwombat

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 19, 2012, 10:00:39 PM »
Nice shots Paul!

I really wanted to get a 7D because its smaller than the 1D but when i compared it I still found the aging 1D to be better :( i was very sad, I really hope the 7Dmk2 fixes up the sensor
and I am sure they will give it the 61pt sensor too, I'm pretty confident the 7D2 will stay APS-C as much as i wish for an APS-H small form factor i doubt i'll see one  :'(

also unfortunately I expect any 7Dmk2 to come in at around $2500 which will make alot of people unhappy
me included but that seems to be the way of things

Ideally it would be nice if it were closer to $2000 but thats wishfull thinking :P

I posted some pics from the 1D3 with the 600f4.5 FD lens here
http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php/topic,3594.0.html

« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 10:02:46 PM by wickidwombat »
APS-H Fanboy

RC

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 19, 2012, 10:30:44 PM »
Paul those are great shots!    Thanks for sharing.   Would you mind sharing your settings?   I'm specifically interested in what AF mode you use when shooting in AI Servo (moving/tracking subjects). 

I've been experimenting with different modes (single point expansion, zone, etc.), and have not come to any real conclusion.   I do realize it depends on what you are shooting, distance, and so on.   

x-vision

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 19, 2012, 10:31:02 PM »

Right, at a price above the 5DIII >:( .

Canon's new slogan: Just pay for it (if you can)!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 10:33:10 PM by x-vision »

briansquibb

« Reply #160 on: March 20, 2012, 02:45:59 AM »

Right, at a price above the 5DIII >:( .

Canon's new slogan: Just pay for it (if you can)!

I think 5DII prices would be closer as the 5D3 is at the 1D4 price.

It wouldn't be called the 7D as that would cause confusion - lets call it the 6DX.

The 7D would continue in its current form as the budget sports camera with the 6DX as the premium sports camera. I doubt that it will happen - but it would be exciting if it did - would certainly give Nikon something to worry about

KeithR

« Reply #161 on: March 20, 2012, 08:05:29 AM »
I would start true wedding grade with the 5Dc or 5DII

Or a 7D used and processed competently.

briansquibb

« Reply #162 on: March 20, 2012, 08:15:39 AM »
I would start true wedding grade with the 5Dc or 5DII

Or a 7D used and processed competently.

Still doesn't match a 5DII  used and processed competently

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #162 on: March 20, 2012, 08:15:39 AM »

attesa

« Reply #163 on: March 20, 2012, 01:26:19 PM »
The next "EOS 7D" might be called "EOS 7Di".

Checkout the description at adorama.com

http://www.adorama.com/ICAGPE2.html

kdsand

• Canon 70D
  • Newt II a human stampede
    • View Profile
Re: Canon 7D Mark II specs wishlist.
« Reply #164 on: March 20, 2012, 01:47:01 PM »
New APS-C 18 MP sensor

Digic 5+ processor

All-I/IPB compression formats

Reduced Moire and rolling shutter

Flip out LCD

Headphone Jack

Manual Audio and on screen meters

Clean video at ISO 1600

Same great build quality as the 7D

$1999 or lower price point

7D replacement will never have a flip out LCD screen, it compromises build quality, build materials and weather sealing. For sports and wildlife shooters - a flip out LCD is completely pointless and not needed since the eye is generally glued to the view finder - for the indie film community it's pointless again because external monitors are used for higher resolution instead of the LCD

Oh hog wash!

It need not compromise build quality and for that matter the screen could be designed so that it could be readily replaceable. How many people are overly concerned about breaking their built in flash? And for those that are worried well if you keep it in the closed position you have nothing to worry about. Do you?  ??? Keep it tucked away where it belongs at least in respectable company.  :-[ There's no reason an lcd screen cannot be built as rugged and be as weather sealed as the 7 d body presently is.

The only way there would be potentially potentially potentially a problem is if Canon designed the 7D replacement with overall lower durable standards - lower quality. If if if if if they did put a swivel screen on the 7 d replacement it would logicaly be of good functional quality and rugged.

And as far being completely pointless...... Very subjective.
 Just because one person will not or perhaps cannot see the usefulness of a tool doesn't mean all must be equally dim.
60D, t2i, Magic Lantern, Manfrotto, Joby, Domke, SanDisk and excetera excetera

canon rumors FORUM

Re: Canon 7D Mark II specs wishlist.
« Reply #164 on: March 20, 2012, 01:47:01 PM »