April 19, 2014, 01:57:46 AM

Author Topic: The (un)official I'm switching to Nikon thread  (Read 17641 times)

unfocused

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
The (un)official I'm switching to Nikon thread
« on: February 29, 2012, 01:00:41 PM »
I figured I'd save everybody some time and valuable internet space by going ahead and opening up this thread.

Beginning tomorrow night all those who are disappointed because Canon did not create a 5DIII to their personal specifications and offer it at $1,500 can lodge their complaints here, on one handy thread, instead of having to start their own personal complaint thread.

By opening this thread now, it will also allow persons to begin the whining before the Mark III is officially announced.

On Saturday, this can be followed by the "Should I buy the Mark III or Wait for the Mark IV?" thread.

pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

canon rumors FORUM

The (un)official I'm switching to Nikon thread
« on: February 29, 2012, 01:00:41 PM »

briansquibb

Re: The (un)official I'm switching to Nikon thread
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 01:16:02 PM »
I figured I'd save everybody some time and valuable internet space by going ahead and opening up this thread.

Beginning tomorrow night all those who are disappointed because Canon did not create a 5DIII to their personal specifications and offer it at $1,500 can lodge their complaints here, on one handy thread, instead of having to start their own personal complaint thread.

By opening this thread now, it will also allow persons to begin the whining before the Mark III is officially announced.

On Saturday, this can be followed by the "Should I buy the Mark III or Wait for the Mark IV?" thread.

8) 8) 8)

ThePhotographer

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 01:19:09 PM »
I want to switch from Nikon, because i do not like the D800:-)
My question: Is this the right thread for me?

poias

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 01:23:17 PM »
We have already pre-ordered 2 D4s and 2 D800 and 1 D800E for our 3Q assignments. And have decided to keep the Lenses for 1 year to see if Canon comes with something competitive.

jrista

• 1D X
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 01:35:38 PM »
We have already pre-ordered 2 D4s and 2 D800 and 1 D800E for our 3Q assignments. And have decided to keep the Lenses for 1 year to see if Canon comes with something competitive.

It truly blows my mind that people make the "jumping ship" decision BEFORE CANON RELEASE ANY OFFICIAL SPECS!! WOW PEOPLE!! :o

Do we ever live in hyperreactionary times...driven by RUMORS no less!!  ::)
My Photography
Current Gear: Canon 7D | Canon EF 600mm f/4 L IS II | EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS | EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro | 50mm f/1.4
New Gear List: Canon 5D III/7D II | Canon EF 300mm f/2.8 L II

photophreek

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 01:37:27 PM »
So I'll start the thread by saying...... BaBye!! 

Now, after you've bought all your Nikon gears and, surprise, surprise, it's not what you thought it was and Canon doesn't look half bad, then you can state your "I'm switching to - Sony....no - Panasonic...... no - well, how about Olympus or....damn it, I'll see if Canon will have me back.

frolic

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 01:41:24 PM »
I want to switch from Nikon, because i do not like the D800:-)
My question: Is this the right thread for me?

I'm with you. I have a D4 on order to replace my dying D700, but only because it's closer to what I need than the D800. I jumped ship from Canon after being traumatized by the 1DMrk3's crappy AF.... if Canon's figured out how to make the 5DIII focus like a Nikon, I'm coming back.

Guess this kind of whining is one thing Nikon + Canon camps have in common, huh?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 01:41:24 PM »

frolic

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 01:49:33 PM »
So I'll start the thread by saying...... BaBye!! 

Now, after you've bought all your Nikon gears and, surprise, surprise, it's not what you thought it was and Canon doesn't look half bad, then you can state your "I'm switching to - Sony....no - Panasonic...... no - well, how about Olympus or....damn it, I'll see if Canon will have me back.

Uhm, not true. I bought Nikon for better AF and it delivered. Now to get that AF again in a new body, I have to buy way more camera than I can handle (physically - I shoot one handed 99% of the time and the full-sized body of the D4 makes that tough). If the 5D3 can deliver what Nikon does in the AF department, I'll come back to Canon.

It's a camera. You buy the one that fits your needs the best. I'm not going to let brand loyalty get in the way of logic.

D_Rochat

« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 01:50:50 PM »
Always the case....

sjprg

« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2012, 01:55:32 PM »
The reason the grass is always greener on the other is one side gets more BS the the other at different times.

SomeGuyInNewJersey

« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2012, 01:58:04 PM »
Always the case....

Ah the old traditional saying...

"The saturation slider is always further to the right on the layer in the file"

EYEONE

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2012, 02:06:11 PM »

It truly blows my mind that people make the "jumping ship" decision BEFORE CANON RELEASE ANY OFFICIAL SPECS!! WOW PEOPLE!! :o

Do we ever live in hyperreactionary times...driven by RUMORS no less!!  ::)

True. And that they will jump ship to a camera with almost identical specs to what Canon has announced (1Dx vs D4).
Canon 5D Mark III w/BG-E11, Canon 7D w/BG-E7: EF 24-70mm f.2.8L, EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS II, EF 40mm f2.8 Pancake STM, Speedlite 430EXII + 430EXI, Canon EOS 3

ajfa

« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2012, 02:09:38 PM »
My only complaint is that $3500 seems like too much money for this camera (body only), given Nikon's pricing.
If Canon were asking $2700 I'd preorder it ASAP, but that extra $800 makes me want to wait until the reviews come out. I'll hang onto my 7D until I decide whether to sell my EF lenses and jump ship to Nikon.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2012, 02:09:38 PM »

Bruce Photography

• Rebel T5i
  • Landscapes, 5D/5D2/5D3,7D,60D,EOS-M,D800/E,D7100
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2012, 02:14:16 PM »
I'm staying a Canon shooter but I've decided to hedge my bets.  Canon last summer announced the new 500 and 600 and still can't seem to deliver them.  Even the new 300 and 400 are just now coming commonly available.  For a tripod ring for my 70-300 I had to wait over 1 year.  I'm hoping Nikon will be better about delivering but I'm not counting on it.  I'm a landscape guy and I'm planning on buying just the D800e.  I plan to test it against my 5Dmk2 or whatever Canon is delivering at whatever time Nikon actually delivers the D800e.  I'll use my friends Nikon lenses and share with them my Raw NEF files.  If I like what I see, I'll order the 14-24 and conduct further tests against the Canon 14mm, the 16-35mm and the 17 and 24 tse lenses.  I love the Canon tse lenses but I really don't like the blue fringing I'm seeing on the 14mm and I'm not happy with the 16-35 but the tse's have spoiled me. 

I've never owned a Nikon but lately I've had the pleasure of helping a friend with his auto-focus problems with his Nikon 7000.  Mostly they are operator errors but I need real time and experience with a Nikon before I firm up my evaluations.  I plan to keep the Nikon if I like it as well as my Canon gear.  I'm tired of speculating on which is best without fully testing both myself.  I'll know then which is best for me.  If Nikon doesn't cut the mustard, only then will it get sent back.

Even after the announcement on Friday, I'll wait and see as to when they will be stocked in New York.  Good luck everyone!

Shnookums

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2012, 02:17:11 PM »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2012, 02:17:11 PM »