August 21, 2014, 04:10:35 PM

Author Topic: The (un)official I'm switching to Nikon thread  (Read 18482 times)

JR

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: The (un)official I'm switching to Nikon thread
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2012, 02:19:05 PM »
@unfocused:  very interesting thread idea buddy!  Personally I will wait until I see some real test comparison before I start complaining!  I am really anxious on the ISO performance for both the new 5DmkIII and the 1DX.  I am a bit turned off by how much the 1DX official weight came in, but if the ISO performance is there, I will just eat more protein  ;)
1DX, 24mm f1.4L II, 35mm f1.4L, 50mm f1.2L, 85mm f1.2L II, 135mm f2L, 24-70mm f2.8L II, 70-200mm f2.8L IS II :  D800, D4, and a whole bunch of Nikon lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2012, 02:19:05 PM »

Nikon

« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2012, 02:22:59 PM »
You are way ahead of your time :)  I am waiting until I see the announcement and specs of the new 5D.  If it has built on the 5D MK2 and added improvements such a more focus points and such the 5DM2 is missing, I am willing to pay $3500 for it.  If Canon delays the MK3 I am not sure what I will do, but I have been checking out the D800. I might ditch my L lenses and all other EF lenses and jump ship. But I would rather stay with Canon if the new 5D is out soon.

I figured I'd save everybody some time and valuable internet space by going ahead and opening up this thread.

Beginning tomorrow night all those who are disappointed because Canon did not create a 5DIII to their personal specifications and offer it at $1,500 can lodge their complaints here, on one handy thread, instead of having to start their own personal complaint thread.

By opening this thread now, it will also allow persons to begin the whining before the Mark III is officially announced.

On Saturday, this can be followed by the "Should I buy the Mark III or Wait for the Mark IV?" thread.

sublime LightWorks

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2012, 02:39:25 PM »
On Saturday, this can be followed by the "Should I buy the Mark III or Wait for the Mark IV?" thread.

Plus the "WTF is up with all these video improvements Canon added, but we still don't have a mirror lockup button????" thread.

And the "I'm pissed!!! Only 60 of the 61 AF points are CROSS TYPES!!!!!" thread.

TexPhoto

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2012, 02:51:26 PM »
I am opening a home for unwanted Cannon bodies lenses and flashes.  Please send them postage paid to my house where they will treated with dignity.  L lenses and recent FF bodies (completely useless because of the D800) will be given a special shelf.

Otter

« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2012, 02:55:15 PM »
Personally, I will stay with Canon.  If the MKIII doesn't meet expectations and comes up short against Nikon's offerings, it just means Nikon has won the battle, not the war.  It's always back and forth and it's an expensive past time selling all your depreciated glass and equiptment to switch when in 2-3 years, you may be on your way back. 
I think it's sad how people think equiptment make them a good photographer.  It helps, in some cases, from a technical standpoint ie. more megapixels but I would say the vast majority of people on this forum are not professional photographers, who think that switching companies and getting the newest tech or upgrading with the current company they shoot with will make them vastly better photographers.  I love tech just as much as the next person, but work more on your craft and become a better photographer and what you can do with your skills and talent not what the camera can do for you.
So all of you are switching...buh bye, have fun... In a couple of years, you'll be possibly switching again...

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 29, 2012, 03:11:33 PM »
Personally, I will stay with Canon.  If the MKIII doesn't meet expectations and comes up short against Nikon's offerings, it just means Nikon has won the battle, not the war.  It's always back and forth and it's an expensive past time selling all your depreciated glass and equiptment to switch when in 2-3 years, you may be on your way back. 
I think it's sad how people think equiptment make them a good photographer.  It helps, in some cases, from a technical standpoint ie. more megapixels but I would say the vast majority of people on this forum are not professional photographers, who think that switching companies and getting the newest tech or upgrading with the current company they shoot with will make them vastly better photographers.  I love tech just as much as the next person, but work more on your craft and become a better photographer and what you can do with your skills and talent not what the camera can do for you.
So all of you are switching...buh bye, have fun... In a couple of years, you'll be possibly switching again...

I agree completely, we are long past the point that a body upgrade is going to make a substantial improvement to the quality of your images.  It would be too much of a pain to switch to Nikon, plus everything is "backwards" from the way you twist on the lens to the focus ring, to the dials.  Honestly if the 5DIII didn't have improved video I probably wouldn't get it, but considering it's the 2nd generation of something great I'm sure it'll suit my needs. 

If people want a positive response to their declaration of switching to Nikon they should go to Nikon Rumors. 
5DIII/5DII/Bunch of L's and ZE's, currently rearranging.

takoman46

« Reply #21 on: February 29, 2012, 03:13:47 PM »
You guys are crazy lol. How can you simply jump ship on a whim just because nikon seems to have put out a camera that might be more suited to your current "wants" when you already have an entire arsenal of L lenses which you will sell and probably lose out lots of money on. Then go and spend even more money buying your Nikon and all the Nikon lenses. Then when you're all happy with your Nikon setup, Canon goes and releases something that appeals to you more than your Nikon setup.  Will you proceed to sell off all your Nikon gear and take another big hit to jump ship back to canon? This is crazy talk haha! I'm sure that if you stay with Canon although you believe Nikon is now better, you will still be able to produce spectacular photos that meet your high standards. If you really believe that you can't achieve that and feel like jumping ship to Nikon is necessary then that's pretty laughable. I'm probably gonna get flamed for this post... but whatever. I felt it had to be said  :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: February 29, 2012, 03:13:47 PM »

takoman46

« Reply #22 on: February 29, 2012, 03:16:26 PM »

I agree completely, we are long past the point that a body upgrade is going to make a substantial improvement to the quality of your images.  It would be too much of a pain to switch to Nikon, plus everything is "backwards" from the way you twist on the lens to the focus ring, to the dials.  Honestly if the 5DIII didn't have improved video I probably wouldn't get it, but considering it's the 2nd generation of something great I'm sure it'll suit my needs. 

If people want a positive response to their declaration of switching to Nikon they should go to Nikon Rumors.

Otter and Axilrod +1  :)

Merlin_AZ

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 29, 2012, 03:28:24 PM »

cfargo

« Reply #24 on: February 29, 2012, 03:32:45 PM »
Nikon USA provides terrible support and has bad ratings with the BBB unlike Canon. I'm going to stand behind a company that stands behind me, Canon.

stabmasterasron

« Reply #25 on: February 29, 2012, 03:33:09 PM »
I am switching to a D700.  (just kidding, though I have considered it). :-\

STPhotos

« Reply #26 on: February 29, 2012, 04:24:42 PM »
I'm really looking forward to what Canon has in store with the 5DIII and anything else up its sleeve, but all these haters and complainers keep me thinking... No matter what's coming, what's already been announced y'all are still gonna hate and complain. I stand by those who have said that the majority of people who are looking at the 5D update are enthusiasts and not pros. It's all these gear heads who think that the latest and greatest will make them better photographers. Go jump to Nikon. Who cares. Cameras are just tools anyway. Sure the new tech is great and exciting, but I really don't have the time and energy to keep complaining of what I have or don't have and jumping ship.

Remember when film was all we had? The care it took in composing each shot, getting the right exposure, making contact prints and refining the prints in the lab? There was more of an art to the entire process. Some people just don't realize how much we've got today in this digital world of RAW files. It's less about the creativity and more about the equipment. Now, it's all just homogenous bulls**t it seems. All these whiners with the same complaints taking the same cliche photos. Call me jaded. Whatever.

All I'm saying is that I can pick up any guitar and still sound like myself when playing it.
It's not all about what you have but how you use what you DO have.

poias

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 29, 2012, 04:28:34 PM »
We have already pre-ordered 2 D4s and 2 D800 and 1 D800E for our 3Q assignments. And have decided to keep the Lenses for 1 year to see if Canon comes with something competitive.

It truly blows my mind that people make the "jumping ship" decision BEFORE CANON RELEASE ANY OFFICIAL SPECS!! WOW PEOPLE!! :o

Do we ever live in hyperreactionary times...driven by RUMORS no less!!  ::)

Canon's is being eaten alive by Nikon and Sony in sensor technology. Lack of DR at low ISO, noisy high ISO, retreat on MPx, crippling of AF, jackup of $, reliance on a brandname rather than value, etc. all contribute to our switching. Again, we can AFFORD to because our bodies need replacement and Lenses sell well anyway.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: February 29, 2012, 04:28:34 PM »

Canon-F1

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 29, 2012, 04:38:04 PM »
Canon's is being eaten alive by Nikon and Sony in sensor technology.

so what nikon developed sensor your are speaking about?
6D, 5D MK2, 7D, 550D... a lot of Glass.

takoman46

« Reply #29 on: February 29, 2012, 04:39:01 PM »
@ poias:

I wouldn't go as far as saying that Canon is being "eaten alive" by Nikon and Sony.  IMO the 1Dx actually refutes most of your claims.  Additionally, the sample images presented by Canon and Nikon for their respective 1Dx and D4 make me think that the Canon 1Dx is actually better than the Nikon D4.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: February 29, 2012, 04:39:01 PM »