October 31, 2014, 02:47:34 PM

Author Topic: So, what about the T4i?  (Read 22487 times)

Ryan708

• EOS M2
  • Less bickering, more shooting
    • View Profile
Re: So, what about the T4i?
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2012, 07:27:09 AM »
What I feel canon should do, and seems to make the most sence, would be to come out with a 7dMk2 (or 8d, call it whatever you want) with a new and improved sensor (a tad more megapixels to keep up with the war, but mostly reduced noise, and maybe  digic 5?) keep the 8FPS shooting, improve the autofocus, yadda yadda. And then trickle that new sensor down to a 70d (made of metal again with micro adjustment!) and then down into a t4I. I feel like canon has turned it's back on the
people in my price range when they came out with the 60d.
60D, Sigma 17-70 2.8-4, Tamron 70-300 4-5.6 VC, EF 50mm 1.8II, and a Sigma EF-610 DG superflash

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2012, 07:27:09 AM »

roombarobot

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2012, 08:40:48 AM »

Please forgive the ignorant question, but I need your help in understanding what would make a 60D better than the T3i/T4i.  (I know that the T4i isn't released, but think about the T3i and maybe an update or two).  I know the body is built better, but it has the same sensor.  What are the main things that justify 2x the price? 

Thanks for your help in understanding this, I'll be buying a new dslr soon and want to know more.

moreorless

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2012, 09:09:06 AM »
I'm waiting for 650D too.

One question about XXXD line. If it is a line for photographers-beginners (or amateurs with little money), then why they should require so many megapixles?
Aren't megapixels for studio (or landscape) photographers, who can shoot REALLY well and make money on this?
What is the profit of 18 mp if a person can't shoot well?

Further more, 18mp require really good AF (if one shoots portraits), very good lenses (calibrated in service-centre), micro AF adjustment (which is missing in XXXd) and good patience when pictures are somewhat out of focus.

Am I the only one who sees that xxxd line is not "well balanced" in terms of feautures and target audience?

Most of the time I shoot in clubs, I need clean high iso, accurate AF, excellent background blur => "sports camera" is for me, however, there is not a single canon camera that is targeted for such audience under 1Dx :(((

I'd guess most manifacturers feel that such users are likely to buy higher end bodies such as the 7D which wasnt "bad" at high ISO when released. If Canon do carry on the 7D, xxD and xxxD lines I wouldnt actually be supprized to see them carrying different sensors with the 7D sticking at 18 MP for improved ISO while the other two get 20+ megapixels.

I do think theres a market for a smaller DSLR with features similar to the 7D though, espeically as we see camera slike the Fuji X1pro and the NEX 7 targetting the higher end crop market with small bodies. The xxxD's were well suited to competing with existing M43 and the lower end NEX's but they arent really offering an alternative to these newer mirrorlesses.

rh18

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2012, 09:16:18 AM »

Please forgive the ignorant question, but I need your help in understanding what would make a 60D better than the T3i/T4i.  (I know that the T4i isn't released, but think about the T3i and maybe an update or two).  I know the body is built better, but it has the same sensor.  What are the main things that justify 2x the price? 

Thanks for your help in understanding this, I'll be buying a new dslr soon and want to know more.

I have a t2i right now and two things that I would love to have is the LCD on top and the 60D has cross-type AF points all the way around. The 60D also has better controls to make it faster to work with. One thing I hate on the t2i is how much fiddling around you have to do to change AF points... and then when you go to an outside AF point, it sucks (or maybe I suck, who knows). On the 60D, you can set it up so that you can change points with a single "click".

There are plenty of other upgrades as well but I can't think of them off the top of my head. I think it all depends on how you will be using the camera and what's important to you. If you do some googling, you will find that there have been several comparisons of the t2/3i and the 60D which go over the differences in detail.

Ryan708

• EOS M2
  • Less bickering, more shooting
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2012, 12:56:03 PM »
I own a 60d, upgraded from a t1i.  A t3i has the same sensor and high iso performance as far as i can tell. I like the 60d's9 AF points all being cross type. I have noticed a much faster AF esp. in dim light. Even my cheap 50mm 1.8 lens focuses fast now. The 60d has a better build quality, and a touch of weatherproofing, 1/8000 max shutter speed, 5.3 FPS, wich is a noticable amount more than the t3i 3.7 FPS. I wish the 60d still had a magnesium body and micro focus adjustment. Interestingly my sigma 17-70 2.8-4 lens had a slight front focus problem on my T1i, and on the 60d it does not.
60D, Sigma 17-70 2.8-4, Tamron 70-300 4-5.6 VC, EF 50mm 1.8II, and a Sigma EF-610 DG superflash

kdsand

• Canon 70D
  • Newt II a human stampede
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2012, 03:01:19 PM »
Well I've had the t 2 I the differences that stick out to me with the 60 d in practical everyday use are.
 Autofocus a f points faster better.
 Penta prism noticeable improvement in viewfinder.
 Faster frames per second.

I love the top LCD screen but cant sell short the Q button & menu as they are quite practical & useful on the t2i.
 Yes the body is plastic or perhaps call it an exotic resin.:-) if I have an option for a magnesium body I will gladly pay more for it. But if I'm being truthful and realistic the magnesium body is more of an aesthetic issue than durability issue.

A new t 4 I Would have to have improved features and specs over the t3i and the t3i is already relatively close to the 60 d. If it had a new and improved sensor in the new mark 5 processor I would imagine people would compare it to the 7 d when shopping.

I just keep going back to thinking that the 7D must be replaced very soon in order to affectively market the rest of the product line.

My. 02
60D, t2i, Magic Lantern, Manfrotto, Joby, Domke, SanDisk and excetera excetera

Daniel Flather

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2012, 03:51:54 PM »
I was only talking from a pure marketing BS perspective that they must beat sony to get the win at best buy.

+1
| 5D3 | 8-15L | 24L II | 35L | 50L | 85L II | 100/2.8 | 200/2L | EOS M | 22 STM |

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2012, 03:51:54 PM »

AJ

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2012, 04:25:44 PM »
I'm a big fan of the Rebel series (traveler, backcountry skier, backpacker - every gram counts) and sure hope they don't put more megapixels on the next sensor.  Let them put 27 mpix on the next 1200D for all I care, but please, not the T4i.

Digic5 is all I ask for.  Thank you Canon for listening

roombarobot

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2012, 04:55:29 PM »
I'm a big fan of the Rebel series (traveler, backcountry skier, backpacker - every gram counts) and sure hope they don't put more megapixels on the next sensor.  Let them put 27 mpix on the next 1200D for all I care, but please, not the T4i.

Digic5 is all I ask for.  Thank you Canon for listening

Mpix itself doesn't change the weight.  After all, the sensor is the same size, APS-C, the pixel density is just higher.

LCD size, articulating LCD or not, battery capacity, etc. all have much more effect on weight.

That said, I don't want more pixels, I want better pixels.  Let's hope for a improved sensitivity sensor.  Canon has used that same 18Mpix sensor for a couple generations now, time to upgrade.

AJ

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2012, 05:04:05 PM »
Bigger pixels are better quality pixels.  That's why I don't want 27 mpix.

phemark

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2012, 05:23:47 PM »
Bigger pixels are better quality pixels.  That's why I don't want 27 mpix.
Same here.
I really dont want a lot of Mpix - instead i want better sensitivity. But i am afraid that Canon will put more Mpix because its and entry(a bit amateur) level camera, and Mpix sell....

Hopefully we will out tomorrow :)

kdsand

• Canon 70D
  • Newt II a human stampede
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2012, 02:38:31 AM »
I believe most 1st time DSLR owners are exited by Mega pixels but then learn they just want quality.
60D, t2i, Magic Lantern, Manfrotto, Joby, Domke, SanDisk and excetera excetera

roombarobot

« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2012, 07:26:34 AM »

So, no T4i announced.  :(  What are the rumors/bets/wishes for the release of the T4i?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2012, 07:26:34 AM »

dichiaras

« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2012, 07:46:54 PM »
Is this pic of a t4i photoshopped?
http://dslr-video.net/2012/03/02/canon-eos-rebel-t4i-650d-rumors/

It looks real to me, but I cannot magnify enough to be sure it is.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 07:48:40 PM by dichiaras »

roombarobot

« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2012, 09:23:48 PM »

Looks 'shopped to me, particularly the T4i part.  Here's to hoping though!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2012, 09:23:48 PM »