July 19, 2018, 01:43:52 PM

Author Topic: How would you make a 3D?  (Read 2348 times)

Terry Rogers

• EOS Rebel T7i
How would you make a 3D?
« on: March 02, 2012, 04:20:16 PM »
If you were a Canon executive tasked with creating a 3D, what direction would you take it and how would you spec it? Here are my two cents (worth about one).

~25 mp APS-H
50 - 60 AF points, ~20 of them cross type at f5.6 and no less than 9 sensetive to f/8
1dx level weather sealing
8-9 fps
noise performance similar to 5D II (but from greater pixel density)
limited video capabilities. A camera designed from the grownd up for photographers (not saying it can't do video, just that limited money is spent enhancing video and put towards dedicated photography functionality)
Built in GPS to maximize and retain weather sealing (though I doubt Canon would ever do that with the release of their separate GPS unit)
Dual card slots

As you might guess, such a camera would be designed specifically for wildlife/BIF photographers. I must say, I am NOT a wildlife/BIF photographer and have possibly missed something you would want in such a camera.

All this in a body that goes for approximately $5000 - $5500.

I'm not sure if such a camera would be possible at that price point. But I think it would fill the need of those using supertelephoto lenses with extenders. The new breed of high end telephoto lenses would no doubt be able to resolve such a sensor, thus allowing the ultimate in reach and the ability to crop even further if necessary.

So what do you guys think? Do you think a camera like this would be economically vialbe? Would such a camera fulfill too small of a niche to warrant research and development costs? Whould you wildlife photographers even want a camera like this?

Or, would you take a 3D camera in a completely different direction? Maybe ultra high MP a la D800 for studio work. Maybe the 3D could be a medium format line?

I'm curious to find out what you all think.

Cheers
Rebel T4i,  EF-S 17-55 f2.8 IS, 430 EX II

canon rumors FORUM

How would you make a 3D?
« on: March 02, 2012, 04:20:16 PM »

Daniel Flather

• EOS 5DS R
Re: How would you make a 3D?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 05:54:24 PM »
I could see the 3D as the monster pixel beast, maybe break the 40mp number.  Definitely FF, not aps-H.  Geared to studio and landscape, or anyone who need high MP. 
| 5D3 | 8-15L | 24L II | 35L | 50L | 85L II | 100/2.8 | 200/2L | EOS M | 22 STM |

briansquibb

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 06:28:57 PM »
Definitely APS-H for the BIF/Wildlife togs

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 06:28:57 PM »