November 21, 2017, 01:47:39 AM

Author Topic: 5D Mark III Full Spec List?  (Read 113913 times)

Justin

Re: 5D Mark III Full Spec List?
« Reply #345 on: March 01, 2012, 10:16:56 PM »
Price gouging and greed is the usual culprit behind large price jumps like these.

Sure, and R&D and supply parts, etc. Listen, the market will dictate. The Canon at 3500 is expensive. Especially next to a Nikon whose spec sheet looks at least as good even when considering various tradeoffs. But Canon probably also figures they can sell a bunch of 5D2s still. And slowly lower the price of the 5D3 if and when demand settles. Demand for the 5D2 stayed high enough for it to be sold out in many places for a year or more.

The question everyone is struggling with is value. That can only be determined based on testing and field use. It is true though that the prices of Canon gears are outstripping those of Nikon by some margin. 

The good news for everyone is the future is not exclusively owned by Canon or Nikon. It is not just huge hulking SLR derivative digital beasts. The future is full of choices. From massive 100+ megapixel medium format chips, to nice sized 36 mp 35 mm format chips in speedy bodies, to really light setups that don't have to trade on high IQ and high versatility like the OM-5D and the GH2 and the rumored and eventual GH3. Fuji in the X1-Pro and Sony with their Nex 7 are really pushing what's possible.

It's a great time to have a hobby or shoot for a living. Creative possibilities abound and the tools to realize them are abundant. Don't like the value proposition of one tool over the other. Don't buy it. Try something new.

Good luck everyone. Have fun shooting.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #345 on: March 01, 2012, 10:16:56 PM »

HughHowey

• EOS Rebel T7i
    • My Author Site
« Reply #346 on: March 01, 2012, 10:27:15 PM »
If these specs hold up, my first FF camera will be a D800. I'm not trolling or trying to rain on anyone's parade, honest. I check in on CR several times a day for the past year. I've been having a great time with my T2i and a handful of lenses, but I have saved up enough to grab the D800 and a few nice zooms.

For sale: 200mm f2.8, 135mm f2.0, 28mm f1.8, 50mm f1.4, 100mm f2.8 macro. All with boxes. All in great shape.

My wife will get the T2i, the 15-85, and the 55-250.

And I'll continue being a Canon fan and a regular reader at CR. And maybe a 5DIV owner one day.  :D
T2i ~ 28mm 1.8 ~ 50mm 1.4 ~ 15-85mm ~ 55-250mm ~ 100mm 2.8L Macro ~ 135mm 2L ~ 200mm 2.8L

AG

• EOS 80D
« Reply #347 on: March 01, 2012, 10:33:17 PM »
Since it takes the LP-E6 battery, has anyone heard if it will take the BG-E7 Battery Grip???

On the TEDS leak last night it listed the BG-E6 as the standard grip and a BG-E11 as the one with the joystick.

So if thats correct its handy for those of us that still have accessories left over.
Yes, i shoot video on a DSLR.

XanuFoto

« Reply #348 on: March 01, 2012, 10:43:57 PM »
If these specs hold up, my first FF camera will be a D800. I'm not trolling or trying to rain on anyone's parade, honest. I check in on CR several times a day for the past year. I've been having a great time with my T2i and a handful of lenses, but I have saved up enough to grab the D800 and a few nice zooms.

For sale: 200mm f2.8, 135mm f2.0, 28mm f1.8, 50mm f1.4, 100mm f2.8 macro. All with boxes. All in great shape.

My wife will get the T2i, the 15-85, and the 55-250.

And I'll continue being a Canon fan and a regular reader at CR. And maybe a 5DIV owner one day.  :D
What is it that you do? Are you pro, semi pro or a serious amateur.

Rishaar

« Reply #349 on: March 01, 2012, 10:50:28 PM »
It has been said before, but it seems the post is lost in the ocean of others !

the jump in the retail price  from 2700 USD (at the time of the release)  to 3500 USD is entirely due to the currency rate.
3 years ago, the US Dollar was around 105 to 110 Japanese Yen, since last year it plunged to around 75 / 80.
So in Japan 3500 USD now means the same as 2700 USD at the time, if not cheaper  8)
Selling the MK3 cheaper in US wouldn't make any sense for a Japanese company selling a made in Japan product...

So please people, get mad at bankers on this one, Canon is NOT milking the cow ;D

No. YOU are the one that failed to see the "lost post".

D800 -> 91k metering, flagship af. 36MP. prob 14 stop DR = $2700
5DIII -> 64 zone metering, ?flagship af, 22mp, prob less than 12 stop DR (I hope to god I'm wrong) = $3500.

DOES THAT MAKE IT CLEAR?

Save us the crap about USD/Yen and keep the brainwash to yourself. FYI, Nikon got hit harder by tsunami than Canon did.

sorry, i wasn't expecting so much "hate" here... i guess just having to wait a couple more hours makes everybody tense, but you should calm down, we are all friends here ;)

anyway, i live in Japan and can only talk for what i see from here, maybe that's why we don't agree.
The comparison with the D800 is indeed appropriate to illustrate my point:

Nikon D800 (BODY only) is on pre-order in Japan, price varies from 300.000 JPY to 270.000 JPY .
That means from 3750 USD to 3375USD.
If anybody can get the D800 Body in US for 2700USD, that is extremely unfair to Japanese customers, but an insane good deal for US customers !

So, from a Japanese perspective, 3500USD (280.000JPY) for the 5Dmk3 would be the same as the D800.
therefore, totally normal.

jpbelanger

« Reply #350 on: March 01, 2012, 11:03:46 PM »
Damn live watch is down...:(

expatinasia

• EOS-1D X Mark II
« Reply #351 on: March 01, 2012, 11:05:51 PM »
I am surprised nobody has mentioned sound input for the video. One nice thing about the Nikon D800 is it at least lets you mount your own mic. Would be amazed if Canon have not thought of this, and expanding it further would be even nicer.
1D X + backup + different L lenses etc.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #351 on: March 01, 2012, 11:05:51 PM »

bvukich

• Spam Assassin
  • Administrator
  • EOS 5DS R
    • My (sparse) ZenFolio Site
« Reply #352 on: March 01, 2012, 11:07:34 PM »
Currently I fail to see any magic in this camera, just as usual Canon's crippled update, whereas the price seems to indicate premium qualities.

In that sense Nikon has clear and understandable distinction - full package in all FF cameras targeting different auditoriums, against Canon's very expensive and crippled expensive option.

What exactly do you think is crippled about this? These specs look much more appealing to me than the Nikon D800.

In what way? D800 has Nikon's best AF effort, more MP, same fps with grip, $500 less.
Hopefully some little things like fps will go up with the official announcement tonight, hopefully the AF is not as watered down as I fear, hopefully the HDR mode is some super-advanced dual read method and not just some software nonsense.
Specs are as are not bad, but they already seem like Canon could have delivered them a while back and the price increase of $800 is insanity if these specs are to the T.

Is the $500 less including the $500 for the grip to get the equivalent fps?
Sorry - I dot know the USD equivalent prices of the D800.

The price of the 5D Can't be raised later on by Canon, only discounted.
It's a 3 year price. Expensive, yes but then we haven't seen updates to the lines underneath it.

Is it insane if they'll sell all they can make at the full price for now, then sell more later on at a discounted price?

MSRP on the D800 grip is $616, making that combo more expensive than a 5D3.

AG

• EOS 80D
« Reply #353 on: March 01, 2012, 11:16:07 PM »
I am surprised nobody has mentioned sound input for the video. One nice thing about the Nikon D800 is it at least lets you mount your own mic. Would be amazed if Canon have not thought of this, and expanding it further would be even nicer.

Its posts like this that make me wonder if these people have ever even touched a Canon camera, let alone seen one.

Mounting a mic is a standard feature on pretty much ANY camera that has a hot shoe. The D800 is not special because it has this "feature". At the same time the D800 has a headphone jack so you can monitor levels and from the preview photos the 5D3 ALSO has the same thing.

Who would have thunk it.
Yes, i shoot video on a DSLR.

hamir

« Reply #354 on: March 01, 2012, 11:25:00 PM »
For anyone trying to view the screencast, here's the backup location.

http://www.spreecast.com/events/backup-location

Even the backup location is not working. I have been trying from sometime now. I'll hit bed in few mins if it stays same.

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #355 on: March 01, 2012, 11:34:26 PM »

the jump in the retail price  from 2700 USD (at the time of the release)  to 3500 USD is entirely due to the currency rate.
3 years ago, the US Dollar was around 105 to 110 Japanese Yen, since last year it plunged to around 75 / 80.
So in Japan 3500 USD now means the same as 2700 USD at the time, if not cheaper  8)
Selling the MK3 cheaper in US wouldn't make any sense for a Japanese company selling a made in Japan product...

So please people, get mad at bankers on this one, Canon is NOT milking the cow ;D

But then why is the D800 less(???) or at least very similar in price to the the D700?
(I guess a 6fps mirror box may cost less than an 8fps capable mirror box? And that is the main cost in the body? Of course the 5D3 is also, apparently, sadly, only a 6.0fps mirror box too though.)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 11:43:44 PM by LetTheRightLensIn »

D.Sim

« Reply #356 on: March 02, 2012, 05:30:45 AM »

No. YOU are the one that failed to see the "lost post".

D800 -> 91k metering, flagship af. 36MP. prob 14 stop DR = $2700
5DIII -> 64 zone metering, ?flagship af, 22mp, prob less than 12 stop DR (I hope to god I'm wrong) = $3500.

DOES THAT MAKE IT CLEAR?

Save us the crap about USD/Yen and keep the brainwash to yourself. FYI, Nikon got hit harder by tsunami than Canon did.

sorry, i wasn't expecting so much "hate" here... i guess just having to wait a couple more hours makes everybody tense, but you should calm down, we are all friends here ;)

anyway, i live in Japan and can only talk for what i see from here, maybe that's why we don't agree.
The comparison with the D800 is indeed appropriate to illustrate my point:

Nikon D800 (BODY only) is on pre-order in Japan, price varies from 300.000 JPY to 270.000 JPY .
That means from 3750 USD to 3375USD.
If anybody can get the D800 Body in US for 2700USD, that is extremely unfair to Japanese customers, but an insane good deal for US customers !

So, from a Japanese perspective, 3500USD (280.000JPY) for the 5Dmk3 would be the same as the D800.
therefore, totally normal.

Hey, apology from me as well. From JPY's perspective 5DIII makes a lot of sense then. Nikon must be doing some heavy discount for US market I guess.

I'm just a bit sick of people saying 5DIII US price is justified because of USD/JPY. Because I live in Aus and we sure as ***Watch the language ~BV*** not getting much better price even when AUD is that strong.

D800 NOT "$2700", actually $2999 USD. 14 stop DR? Where is the proof, I haven't seen it.
5DIII 63 zone metering----1DX 252 Zone, 100k metering so we don't know the resolution of the metering sensor of the 5d3 yet just that it has 63 zones. If you didnt change resolution after 4 years don't you think it will have more than the 12 stops of the 5d2 when they said they specifically worked on speed, iso, and DR?

Ok, D800 is $3000. Still cheaper. 14 Stop? Did I not say "Prob"? Nikon *cough* Sony sensors has been hovering 13+ near 14 for past year or two. Canon has NEVER broken 12. Again. I said "probably". Did I not mention I hope to god that I'm wrong?

And lets beat the dead horse again. WTF's that piece of S___ AF on 5DII? Center point focus and recompose? Are you serious? I can accept that on my 5DI (Which I have and still use) from a gazillion years ago, not 5D II.

Canon is run by marketing department. It's not about what I need or not. I'm not interested in a company that skimp and cripples any tiny thing they can get away with. D800 has the best AF and metering Nikon has. I expect 5DIII to be no less.

Nikon troll? Lol, if it weren't for Nikon, 5DIII still has 9 pts AF. Please...

Nikon Rumors is -----> THAT way.

To everyone else: Don't feed the trolls ^^

Some people are just impossible to satisfy.

(Is there a way to smite the post but like Bvukich's edit? lol)

Back on topic: 5DIII, YOU BEAUTY
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 06:38:46 PM by D.Sim »

Grum

« Reply #357 on: March 02, 2012, 05:47:48 AM »
It's amazing how angry some people get about the release of a camera that isn't EXACTLY what they want. With some of you it's like you just found out your not the real father of your children or something. Weird.

Anyway - ISO 3200 on those samples looks very clean to me, don't know if in camera jpeg NR has been applied. The one of a bride at 3200 doesn't look completely in focus though, WTF!?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 05:49:43 AM by Grum »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #357 on: March 02, 2012, 05:47:48 AM »

D.Sim

« Reply #358 on: March 02, 2012, 06:37:06 PM »
If they are charging that much, that better be the best metering system possible/ever seen.

I just played with 600d and metering sucks BIG TIME. It misses up to 1.5 stops no matter which settings you use. That's shameful.
Thats what happens when you "play" with it. Use it the way it was supposed to be used. If its missing by that much, its the shooter, not the camera with the problem.

So, if they plan on selling any... better get:

WIRELESS FILE TRANSFER that works with LR3+ and Capture One (optional is fine)
Whatever for?
REALLY FAST FLASH SYNC, and I mean 1/500+

Do you have any idea what you're talking about

AUTOFOCUS ON F8 lenses
Thats what the 1Ds are for, and you're paying a LOT more for that

GOOD SUBJECT TRACKING AUTOFOCUS
61 points, should be enough

ACCURATE METERING WITH PLENTY OF OPTIONS, AND I CAN'T STRESS THIS ENOUGH
metering is pretty damn accurate as is

BIG VIEWFINDER
How much bigger than 100% do you wanna get?

BETTER WEATHER SEALING
they're already very well sealed

BIGGER HISTOGRAM (sometimes I just want to look at the histogram, not the image itself)
Open up powerpoint, generate some random numbers and look at that histogram.

SCREEN RESOLUTION THAT MATCHES THE SCALE OF THE FILE (NO MORE MENUS UP AND DOWN)
doesn't make a difference

P.S. They really should have dumped that silly SD card slot.
it works as an alternative. no big deal.

AND TURN OFF CAPS LOCK

Thank you, you saved me some typing. Point for point you put almost exactly what I was going to post.

Good to know I wasn't the only one thinking that way, especially after the PM i got from him... xD

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #358 on: March 02, 2012, 06:37:06 PM »