April 18, 2014, 01:35:41 AM

Author Topic: 5D Mark III Full Spec List?  (Read 61477 times)

nvsravank

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
Re: 5D Mark III Full Spec List?
« Reply #90 on: March 01, 2012, 10:04:15 AM »
I am looking between 1DX and 5D mark III.
So looking to see what are the differences between the two. The ones i can see are

1. Single Digic 5+. This ( and the higher MP) limits the processing speed to 6FPS. A slight advantage to 1DX for my needs.

2. No Digic 4/iFCL metering with 63-zone dual-layer sensor. Does the second part mean it is the same as the previous 1 series metering? To me this is a big step down from what is promised for 1DX. This means that there is not the same metering linked to the focus point as the 1DX. Also means there is no face recognition for the exposure. I mean the 5D III does not have the EOS iTR AF of the 1DX
I am also assuming this means that the ability to focus in -2EV is not there in the 5D Mark III

3. CF /SD card slots vs the Dual CF card slots. I dont have many SD cards and the one i have is a simple 1 GB card. to me it would be better to have CF cards only, but then the SD card gives you networking capability through the Wifi cards. Have to think more about what i need.

4. HD Movie. From what i understand the 22 MP count was to help in the video mode. I am not sure how that helps because 1080P at 16:9 is 2.073 MP. For a strict 4:1 super scale, you need 8.29 MP. So not sure how a 22 MP is better for video than a 18MP sensor. There is no sensor photo site scaling and so in terms of resolution etc, both will be the same.

5. Movie compression schemes. Does the 5D III not have the new ALL I and IPB compressions schemes?

6. HDR Mode. The 1DX initial specs do not talk about HDR mode. So not sure if this is a real difference or just a marketing spiel of the multi exposure setups in 1DX.

7. Weather sealing - seems to be better than 5D Mark II, but for me who has been using my 5D (Not mark II) for 6 years, i dont think i put my camera's through tough times. It does not even have a scratch! And it went through small rains and snow falls easily enough. So not sure it is a differentiator.

8. Ergonomics - This actually something i am worried about. My camera for the last six years had an L plate stuck on it always that connects to my Arca Swiss ball head. In my shooting i alternate between the tripod and hand held a lot. So on a new 1DX i most probably will keep the L plate also. So i am thinking that for that purpose the other handling side of the 1DX actually might be a distraction and not something i would want. Because now my hand will have to go around the L plate also and so will nto be as comfortable a handle as the regular one is. On the other hand (Pun intended) the way i shoot now with my 5D with my hand on the top of the portrait shots makes my hand ache a bit by the end of the three to four hour shooting session. This is a situation i did not think about until recently. Dont know which side to go for this issue.

9. MP difference - too small to really matter to me. Coming from 12 MP, both are a significant bump. Will satisfy me  i think.

10. ISO difference - If the native is 1 stop lower on 5D Mark III, that means most probably the usable ISO is ISO 1600 and can go to ISO 3200/6400 in tough situations. For me coming from 5D, this is atleast 2 stop increase already for Mark III. And for the dance concerts i do take it is sufficient. There is enough lighting on the stage for me to be happy with a 2 stop increase. So professionally i am good. Personally higher ISO will allow me to take photos of parties etc without the flash and capture more of the ambience. So 1DX has an advantage - tiny bit only.

11. Silent and Low vibration modes - Not sure if i need them. Maybe important for video. Not sure the 1DX has them or not. The 1DX press release does talk about new shutters to reduce vibrations. This new spec might just be marketing spiel of a 1DX feature as well.

12. In the file formats 5D III lists RAW where all the other formats are video formats. Does this mean RAW format video on 5DIII? Not big into video currently, but looking to have future growth potential.

13. Intelligent viewfinder - Assuming it is the same as in the 1DX

14. Shutter actuations - Not going to hit the limit in any way. My current 5D i have done maybe around 40,000 actuations. So not really an issue for me.

15. Accessories - I am assuming the wireless accesory is the same. I am not sure i am interested in the GPS accessory. I would have liked it in my recent vacation, but then my iphone had it and made do with it.

16. Networking - USB only for 5D Mark III vs the wired ethernet port for 1DX. I think with the larger files and the associated larger card sizes i would need, faster transmission is a must. 1DX is winning here.

Anything else that is different. Anything else i need to consider?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #90 on: March 01, 2012, 10:04:15 AM »

EIREHotspur

« Reply #91 on: March 01, 2012, 10:18:30 AM »
Ok I take it that the 29 mins 59 secs video shooting duration is also in the 5D£?

I isn't mentioned in the specs?

TAR

« Reply #92 on: March 01, 2012, 10:19:07 AM »
HDR Mode. The 1DX initial specs do not talk about HDR mode. So not sure if this is a real difference or just a marketing spiel of the multi exposure setups in 1DX.

FYI

1DX can make 9 exposure to make HDR with different blending schemes

marekjoz

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • marekjoz @flickr
« Reply #93 on: March 01, 2012, 10:20:15 AM »
Will the new 5dmk3 be able to record more than 12min?

Probably not, has something to do with a weird european tax thingy and laws that state that a videocamera starts from 12 minutes continuous recording.

its a 30 minute limit...

How do you know?
flickr | youtube | 5D2, 50 F/1.4, 24-105 F/4 L IS, 300 F/4 L IS, x1.4 II

D.Sim

« Reply #94 on: March 01, 2012, 10:21:42 AM »
Ooo, I see +- 3 stops of exposure comp on the top veiw shots... would make for really nice bracketing... did the 5d2/7d have it? i know i'm limited to +-2 on my 50...

also: can someone clear up what dual layer sensor is =/

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 01, 2012, 10:22:21 AM »
Is it just me or is this the ultimate camera?

I don't think I would ever want anything else in my entire career except maybe the same thing in half the size.

Never say never  ;)

Let me start.... AA filter removed?
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

studio1972

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
    • Sarah McDonnell Wedding Photography
« Reply #96 on: March 01, 2012, 10:25:44 AM »

Probably not, has something to do with a weird european tax thingy and laws that state that a videocamera starts from 12 minutes continuous recording.

its a 30 minute limit...

How do you know?

The 30 minutes is the EU legislation that applies an extra camcorder tax if it can record for longer than that. The current time limit (12 mins) is actually due to the maximum fils size limit on the CF card being 4GB. Camcorders get around this by spanning several files in one recording.
Cheshire & Wirral Wedding Photographer

http://sarahmcdonnell.co.uk

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #96 on: March 01, 2012, 10:25:44 AM »

gbchriste

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 01, 2012, 10:28:13 AM »
I haven't read through the whole thread so forgive me if I'm asking something that has already been addressed.  But is anyone else curious as to the purpose of the CR1616 battery listed in the box contents?  That's a nickle-sized, flat disc type battery.

nvsravank

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 01, 2012, 10:28:29 AM »
HDR Mode. The 1DX initial specs do not talk about HDR mode. So not sure if this is a real difference or just a marketing spiel of the multi exposure setups in 1DX.

FYI

1DX can make 9 exposure to make HDR with different blending schemes

In this the 1DX marketing press release did not talk about HDR. They talk about multiple exposure capability and combining them differently. Now here they talk about HDR so the question is if it is a marketing spiel or is there something different in 5D III that the 1DX did not have.

I tend to think it is marketing spiel and agree with you that the 9 exposure with blending schemes is being splits into multi exposure and HDR for the 5D mark III marketing.

sublime LightWorks

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 01, 2012, 10:31:28 AM »
Couple of things......

1) Anyone notice the Digic 5+ in the specs?? <------  notice the "+"  What's the "+" for compared to the two Digic 5's in the 1Dx?

2) No 1Dx AF and metering....said this about a dozen times in the past weeks that it would never happen.  The processing power isn't here for that, 1Dx needs dedicated Digic 4 for the AF and metering.  Lot of folks said it would be otherwise.  Reality wins as usual.

3) Native ISO to 25,600....two stops higher than the mk2, but until we see it, that does not mean 25,600 is like 6400 on the mk2.  Personally I hope it is, that might tilt me to buying one despite a few things I see I need that are in the 1Dx.

4) On the subject on high ISO IQ performance.....the mk2 goes to 25,600 native...BUT...the 1Dx goes to 51,200 native ISO. If we are to take this as any indication of performance, I had also said the 5D3 would NOT outperform the 1Dx in IQ.  This hints that is the case, as I seriously doubt a camera Canon touted as a merging of the 1D and 1Ds lines but with better performance than either would hand the IQ crown to a body costing less than half the price.

5) 6 fps....not the 6.9fps/7fps we saw in the earlier specs.  That one item is a near deal breaker for me and why I'm strongly leaning towards the 1Dx.  I have a 5Dmk2 and a 7D, I shoot work across the spectrum....kids...high school...weddings...studio...sports.  I need the higher frame rate and 8fps does that for me.  I'm not looking to have "a camera for X and a camera for Y and a camera for Z".  I just want one and a backup body.  The 5D3 does not go far enough for me to do that if I sell the 5D2 and replace it with the 5D3.  It comes close, but I'd still be shooting the 7D for the frame rate.

However........

What could make the difference is if the AF/Metering in the 5D3 is improved enough over the 7D to compensate for a lower frame rate....in other words, I might get fewer shots in the burst, but the AF improvements result in more of them in solid focus.  In addition, if the 5D3 shares the 1Dx's ability to shoot RAW's of 50-60 frames with a decent CF card before the buffer starts to complain, that could, with improved AF, offset the 6fps vs. the 7D's 8fps vs. the 1Dx's 12fps.  I'd be happy if I can shoot 6fps and get 30 RAWs before the buffer causes the frame rate to stutter. 

So, if the 5D3 can shoot 6fps sustained for 30 RAW shots, with AF and metering resulting in a higher number of in-focus and well exposed images, I'd give it serious consideration over a 1Dx.  If it's ISO noise at at 6400 is improved by 1 to 2 stops, that will be a bonus.  If it cannot perform at these levels, I'm going 1Dx to get to where I need to be.

I'd much rather spend $3500 on a 5D3 than $6800 on a 1Dx if I can get 90% of what I need and no deal breakers.  My gut tells me the 5D3 will not do this, but I'll wait until it's out and in some folks hands before deciding.  I have time, not like I need to buy a body today or in the next 3 months.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 10:37:11 AM by sublime LightWorks »

Canihaspicture

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 01, 2012, 10:34:24 AM »
Am I the only one sorely disappointing by the lack of megapixels and substantially higher price? I love canon, but specs/price wise I am liking the D800 a little more. It would greatly pain me to switch. Tell me that there's truly another camera on the horizon... I will wait if I need to. I want Canon's DIGIC 5 and a crap ton of megapixels with the option to oversample if I like. Come on baby, this can't be all you got up your sleeve. I can't afford medium format nor the 1D series line... give me the goods in a 5D. Tell me this is your video 5D and there will be an upcoming 5D (with video still) but geared toward photography, call it a 5DX, it should see through the dark and have eagle vision.

KeithR

« Reply #101 on: March 01, 2012, 10:36:53 AM »
Looks like an excellent piece of kit - the first FF camera that's even slightly grabbed my attention.

The thing that interests me most of all though, is the possibility that the new battery grip (the one with the built-in joystick) might fit my 7D - I really miss not being able easily to move around the AF points in portrait mode...

marekjoz

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • marekjoz @flickr
« Reply #102 on: March 01, 2012, 10:37:40 AM »

its a 30 minute limit...

How do you know?

The 30 minutes is the EU legislation that applies an extra camcorder tax if it can record for longer than that. The current time limit (12 mins) is actually due to the maximum fils size limit on the CF card being 4GB. Camcorders get around this by spanning several files in one recording.

Yes, I know this how do you know 5d3 is also limited this way? Frankly speaking - I'm surprised they don't introduce two models: one for EU and one for the rest.
flickr | youtube | 5D2, 50 F/1.4, 24-105 F/4 L IS, 300 F/4 L IS, x1.4 II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #102 on: March 01, 2012, 10:37:40 AM »

AlicoatePhotography

« Reply #103 on: March 01, 2012, 10:38:34 AM »
This is a truly sound offering from Canon.  It will be everything that a lot of us need.  With an AF that is better than the 7D, and a sensor better than the 5DMKII and 6FPS, where is the weak point?  MegaPixels?  22 will be enough for me.  I'm giddy.  It is not super flashy, but I guarantee this will be a work horse camera for another 3-5 years.

BDD

« Reply #104 on: March 01, 2012, 10:38:52 AM »

ISO/Sensitivity – 100 – 25600

I hope "not expandable to 25600" but native?

Yes. That's "native". It's listed in the OP...

ISO 100-25600 (expandable to L:50 H1:51200, H2: 102400)

If these specs are confirmed...I'm putting in my order. :) This is pretty much how I was hoping the 5D3 to be spec'd. If Canon instead decided to go head-to-head with Nikon's D800 by putting out a high MP "compact body" (as opposed to a body with a built-in portrait grip) I would have no choice but to look at flagship models for the features I want (e.g. 1D-X or Nikon's D3s or D4)..which I would have dreaded due to cost and the size/weight.

Guess we'll find out tonight on the live cast...and tomorrow when the confirmed specs are plastered on all camera websites.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #104 on: March 01, 2012, 10:38:52 AM »