October 25, 2014, 08:04:02 PM

Author Topic: 5D Mark III Full Spec List?  (Read 68657 times)

D.Sim

Re: 5D Mark III Full Spec List?
« Reply #105 on: March 01, 2012, 10:40:03 AM »
If they are charging that much, that better be the best metering system possible/ever seen.

I just played with 600d and metering sucks BIG TIME. It misses up to 1.5 stops no matter which settings you use. That's shameful.
Thats what happens when you "play" with it. Use it the way it was supposed to be used. If its missing by that much, its the shooter, not the camera with the problem.

So, if they plan on selling any... better get:

WIRELESS FILE TRANSFER that works with LR3+ and Capture One (optional is fine)
Whatever for?
REALLY FAST FLASH SYNC, and I mean 1/500+

Do you have any idea what you're talking about

AUTOFOCUS ON F8 lenses
Thats what the 1Ds are for, and you're paying a LOT more for that

GOOD SUBJECT TRACKING AUTOFOCUS
61 points, should be enough

ACCURATE METERING WITH PLENTY OF OPTIONS, AND I CAN'T STRESS THIS ENOUGH
metering is pretty damn accurate as is

BIG VIEWFINDER
How much bigger than 100% do you wanna get?

BETTER WEATHER SEALING
they're already very well sealed

BIGGER HISTOGRAM (sometimes I just want to look at the histogram, not the image itself)
Open up powerpoint, generate some random numbers and look at that histogram.

SCREEN RESOLUTION THAT MATCHES THE SCALE OF THE FILE (NO MORE MENUS UP AND DOWN)
doesn't make a difference

P.S. They really should have dumped that silly SD card slot.
it works as an alternative. no big deal.

AND TURN OFF CAPS LOCK

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #105 on: March 01, 2012, 10:40:03 AM »

skoobey

« Reply #106 on: March 01, 2012, 10:41:04 AM »
Not in all pictures, I haven't said that. In some situations, it just happens to be all the situations that would give you good shots. .

sorry that is complete nonsense... if that would be true it would be all over the internet and nobody would buy that camera.

Either that, or users are thinking it's fine to take multiple exposures. AS far as I'm concerned, 7D is lowest thing in Canon's line up that meters correctly.

Quality standard needs to be set in place. So, if most of the users take bad pictures and don't notice anything wrong, that's fine, it's not a professional model, but the 5DIII is a semi-pro grade camera, and it should improve it's metering from the 5dII.

How about "AF point-linked spot metering" ??
I really hope they don't cripple this again!!
That's something I ask too; imperative !

THAT'S WAHT I'M TALKING ABOUT, yet many look at every Canon as if it were a Holy Grail.

rgrphoto

« Reply #107 on: March 01, 2012, 10:42:10 AM »
Couple of things......

1) Anyone notice the Digic 5+ in the specs?? <------  notice the "+"  What's the "+" for compared to the two Digic 5's in the 1Dx?

The 1DX has duel Digic 5+ and a Digic 4 for metering. Looking like MrIII has one Digic 5+. 5+ is something like 17 times fast than Digic 4 and faster than Digic 5 without the +.

dswatson83

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 01, 2012, 10:42:26 AM »
Am I the only one sorely disappointing by the lack of megapixels and substantially higher price? I love canon, but specs/price wise I am liking the D800 a little more. It would greatly pain me to switch. Tell me that there's truly another camera on the horizon... I will wait if I need to. I want Canon's DIGIC 5 and a crap ton of megapixels with the option to oversample if I like. Come on baby, this can't be all you got up your sleeve. I can't afford medium format nor the 1D series line... give me the goods in a 5D. Tell me this is your video 5D and there will be an upcoming 5D (with video still) but geared toward photography, call it a 5DX, it should see through the dark and have eagle vision.
More megapixels affects performance both in low light and speed. The decision to keep the MP at 22 was to improve those areas for the Mark III. It also will supposedly help video too but that remains unseen. The 5D series is typically an on the run shooter camera and needs speed and relatively small file sizes as people will average 2000+ shots for event type photography. They also work in low lit or badly lit environments where the option to bring lighting is not available. I'll agree, the 5D will not be as super as the D800 in the studio, but most of the customers are not. Buy the D800 if you really want a medium format camera but can't afford it or need better low light than medium format allows.

bornshooter

• 5D Mark III
  • Love L series glass
    • View Profile
    • my flickr
« Reply #109 on: March 01, 2012, 10:42:33 AM »
just what i want :) price has got to come down though so i recken i will wrap this for my xmas lol well ill be wrapping the empty box  lol

gbchriste

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 01, 2012, 10:46:27 AM »
Anyone else curious or wish to speculate on what the CR1616 battery listed in the 5DMKIII box contents is for?  That's a nickle-size, flat disk lithium cell battery.  I've only shot the 40D and 5DMKII so if this is something that is common on the 1D or other XXD lines, I'd be interested to know what it is for.

arknox

« Reply #111 on: March 01, 2012, 10:46:44 AM »
Wow, lots of features but completely missing any of the video features. What fps, 24, 25, 30, 50, 60 and at what resolutions? What bitrate?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #111 on: March 01, 2012, 10:46:44 AM »

awinphoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #112 on: March 01, 2012, 10:49:03 AM »
I for one am excited but have a few reservations... first, High ISO... We know even though a camera is advertised/marketed at certain ISO's, doesn't mean they are usable or reliable, and even with that, Dxo points out some high ISO speeds may not indeed be the true speeds, BUT, unfortunately we will not know any of this until we get production samples and tests...  Also the HDR mode... does that mean it automatically processes it for us, kinda like an auto HDR mode our IPhones can do, or will it give us controls in camera, or does it simply mean it takes 3/5 back to back images and we have to, in post processing, maybe in DPP, merge the HDR...Approximately 100% VF, that's the same as the 7d and 1d series... If cool with that... I loved that feature on my 7d... helps a lot when framing... meter and tracking ability... we will have to wait to see how it functions...  video advances?  I guess even with all the specs and speculation, there's a LOT we will collectively have to wait to see, regardless bye bye on 5d mark II
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, Canon 85 1.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

RazorTM

« Reply #113 on: March 01, 2012, 10:49:27 AM »
Probably the date/time battery.

awinphoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #114 on: March 01, 2012, 10:50:05 AM »
I haven't read through the whole thread so forgive me if I'm asking something that has already been addressed.  But is anyone else curious as to the purpose of the CR1616 battery listed in the box contents?  That's a nickle-sized, flat disc type battery.

For date/time functions to keep running when you are charging your batteries
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, Canon 85 1.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

Grum

« Reply #115 on: March 01, 2012, 10:54:23 AM »
Am I the only one sorely disappointing by the lack of megapixels and substantially higher price? I love canon, but specs/price wise I am liking the D800 a little more. It would greatly pain me to switch. Tell me that there's truly another camera on the horizon... I will wait if I need to. I want Canon's DIGIC 5 and a crap ton of megapixels with the option to oversample if I like. Come on baby, this can't be all you got up your sleeve. I can't afford medium format nor the 1D series line... give me the goods in a 5D. Tell me this is your video 5D and there will be an upcoming 5D (with video still) but geared toward photography, call it a 5DX, it should see through the dark and have eagle vision.

I believe there's a 41MP camera phone with your name on it. :P

Daniel Flather

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 01, 2012, 10:55:15 AM »
I haven't read through the whole thread so forgive me if I'm asking something that has already been addressed.  But is anyone else curious as to the purpose of the CR1616 battery listed in the box contents?  That's a nickle-sized, flat disc type battery.

A CR1616 battery is 16mm in diameter and 1.6mm thick (nominal sizes of course).  A CR2032 is 20mm across and 3.2mm  thick, and so forth for all 3.0v lithium batteries.  CR1025, CR1216, CR1220, CR1225, CR1616, CR1620, CR1632, CR2016, CR2025, CR2032, CR2320, CR2325, and CR2430.

Just a little info.
| 5D3 | 8-15L | 24L II | 35L | 50L | 85L II | 100/2.8 | 200/2L | EOS M | 22 STM |

XanuFoto

« Reply #117 on: March 01, 2012, 10:55:49 AM »
I think they hit a homerun with this one. There is a solid captive population of MKI and MKII owners whose biggest beef was the autofocus. They have not only given them that they have also given them great native ISO. Very versatile spec. Love it.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #117 on: March 01, 2012, 10:55:49 AM »

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 01, 2012, 10:55:59 AM »
All right people. I really need an honest opinion here. I was shooting Nikon D5100 up till now and was hoping to upgrade to full frame by the end of this year.
To begin with, I had both the D800 and the 5D Mark 3 on my wish list. I mean I really don't have a huge investment in terms of the lenses, and I'll always get some return when I sell of my present gear (In case I decide to go with canon).
I need opinion on this because if I do go with canon on the mark 3, then i'll also get L lenses, and the investment then is going to be substantial. So its going to be a long term commitment. And the tech guide on the D800 kinda scared me a bit with all the chatter involving image blur with the slightest movement because of the "high resolution". And I'm also not sure about its iso performance in comparison to the D700.
Suggestions please guys..?? What would be a better camera for me. I mean we cant really say much until both the cameras are out and have been thoroughly reviewed. But going by the spec list...?? Which way should I go..??

The Camera Blur due to high res on the D800 would be less of an issue than stated. The 7D (and 60D/ T3i/T2i) all have more dense sensors than the D800... how many of those folks do you think are complaining about blur?

The only thing I would have wanted with the 5d3 is availibility without AA Filter, however it's not a deal breaker. 22mp is plenty resolution... plus you get more DR, and L lenses. Come to Canon  ;)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 11:09:51 AM by K-amps »
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 85mm L F/1.2 Mk. II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

drozz

« Reply #119 on: March 01, 2012, 10:56:14 AM »
Hopefully "Speed . Quality" = 60fps and raw video

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #119 on: March 01, 2012, 10:56:14 AM »