July 24, 2014, 12:10:09 PM

Author Topic: 5D Mark III Full Spec List?  (Read 65853 times)

Namielus

Re: 5D Mark III Full Spec List?
« Reply #150 on: March 01, 2012, 11:24:11 AM »
I haven't seen it mentioned here yet, but of course it could be that I'm just too slow of a reader to keep up. The 22 MP is exactly what you would need for 3 x 3 down sampeling to 1920 x 1080 (HD) resolution.

1920 x 1080 converted to 3:2 ratio makes 1920 x 1280. 1920 x 3 = 5760. 1280 x 3 = 3840. This comes to a resolution of 5720 x 3840, which is 22 megapixels.

Everyone always seems to talk about 2x2 binning and 4x4 binning. Well, Canon seems to have made this sensor specifically for 3x3 binning of HD video.

I just mentioned this a few posts before you. And I asked if the 3x3 binning will be less processor intensive. I have the impression the 5D2 had to do some extra processing to try and reduce the moire.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #150 on: March 01, 2012, 11:24:11 AM »

gbchriste

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 01, 2012, 11:26:06 AM »
Just never remember seeing this when I got my new 5DMKII a year ago.  I'm assuming it was factory installed.  Until I asked here, I didn't even know this battery existed  :-\  Guess it was factory installed on the Mark II.

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 01, 2012, 11:26:25 AM »
I haven't seen it mentioned here yet, but of course it could be that I'm just too slow of a reader to keep up. The 22 MP is exactly what you would need for 3 x 3 down sampeling to 1920 x 1080 (HD) resolution.

1920 x 1080 converted to 3:2 ratio makes 1920 x 1280. 1920 x 3 = 5760. 1280 x 3 = 3840. This comes to a resolution of 5720 x 3840, which is 22 megapixels.

Everyone always seems to talk about 2x2 binning and 4x4 binning. Well, Canon seems to have made this sensor specifically for 3x3 binning of HD video.

Well put. I hope it can do a similar binning for (family/casual) Still shots chosen to view on a 1080p monitor.
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

Grum

« Reply #153 on: March 01, 2012, 11:28:12 AM »
Currently I fail to see any magic in this camera, just as usual Canon's crippled update, whereas the price seems to indicate premium qualities.

In that sense Nikon has clear and understandable distinction - full package in all FF cameras targeting different auditoriums, against Canon's very expensive and crippled expensive option.

What exactly do you think is crippled about this? These specs look much more appealing to me than the Nikon D800.

Exactly... granted it can still change up until it's release, but other than MP, what does the D800 have that the 5d3 (rumored) doesn't have that has been confirmed?  ISO even wins (theoretically until tested) which is a first for canon.

Is Nikons low light AF still going to be better I wonder?

Woody

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 01, 2012, 11:32:04 AM »
Looks like a great camera... for me. :D I know some folks are disappointed 'cos they don't find any groundbreaking technology in it. As for me, I just need great image quality, reliable autofocus and a broad collection of lenses. Not sure about others, but the 5D3 is certainly THE full-frame camera for me.

Gotta to start saving up for this camera. :)

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #155 on: March 01, 2012, 11:32:42 AM »
Currently I fail to see any magic in this camera, just as usual Canon's crippled update, whereas the price seems to indicate premium qualities.

In that sense Nikon has clear and understandable distinction - full package in all FF cameras targeting different auditoriums, against Canon's very expensive and crippled expensive option.

What exactly do you think is crippled about this? These specs look much more appealing to me than the Nikon D800.

Exactly... granted it can still change up until it's release, but other than MP, what does the D800 have that the 5d3 (rumored) doesn't have that has been confirmed?  ISO even wins (theoretically until tested) which is a first for canon.

Is Nikons low light AF still going to be better I wonder?

Until we start getting production samples, it's anyones guess. 
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

bvukich

• Spam Assassin
  • Administrator
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • My (sparse) ZenFolio Site
« Reply #156 on: March 01, 2012, 11:33:01 AM »
If they are charging that much, that better be the best metering system possible/ever seen.

I just played with 600d and metering sucks BIG TIME. It misses up to 1.5 stops no matter which settings you use. That's shameful.
Thats what happens when you "play" with it. Use it the way it was supposed to be used. If its missing by that much, its the shooter, not the camera with the problem.

So, if they plan on selling any... better get:

WIRELESS FILE TRANSFER that works with LR3+ and Capture One (optional is fine)
Whatever for?
REALLY FAST FLASH SYNC, and I mean 1/500+

Do you have any idea what you're talking about

AUTOFOCUS ON F8 lenses
Thats what the 1Ds are for, and you're paying a LOT more for that

GOOD SUBJECT TRACKING AUTOFOCUS
61 points, should be enough

ACCURATE METERING WITH PLENTY OF OPTIONS, AND I CAN'T STRESS THIS ENOUGH
metering is pretty damn accurate as is

BIG VIEWFINDER
How much bigger than 100% do you wanna get?

BETTER WEATHER SEALING
they're already very well sealed

BIGGER HISTOGRAM (sometimes I just want to look at the histogram, not the image itself)
Open up powerpoint, generate some random numbers and look at that histogram.

SCREEN RESOLUTION THAT MATCHES THE SCALE OF THE FILE (NO MORE MENUS UP AND DOWN)
doesn't make a difference

P.S. They really should have dumped that silly SD card slot.
it works as an alternative. no big deal.

AND TURN OFF CAPS LOCK

Thank you, you saved me some typing. Point for point you put almost exactly what I was going to post.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #156 on: March 01, 2012, 11:33:01 AM »

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
Re: LOL what happens on Saturday after launch
« Reply #157 on: March 01, 2012, 11:33:31 AM »
Love this!

I imagine if you have to work retail, this would be very therapeutic.

Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

ksieb

« Reply #158 on: March 01, 2012, 11:36:25 AM »
as a videographer, it seems to not be very different of the actual mark2

What you think

spag

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 01, 2012, 11:38:11 AM »
Multiple exposures is one of the feature I like the most in my Pentax. If there's a 2-way electronic level, temptation will be big to switch to Canon...

...until my wallet gives me a good reality check!  :'(

Drama79

« Reply #160 on: March 01, 2012, 11:39:23 AM »
So, anyone want to guess at the following?

1. Frame rates at 1080p, 720p?

2. Street date?

I think the rest is wrapped up. I really hope that price comes down a little, but either way, I'm in.

Ivar

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 01, 2012, 11:41:02 AM »
IQ doesn't equal to ISO only, it still matters a lot what a camera can do at ISO100. Are we going to get rid of banding this time?

My issues are, comparing the competition, very simple:
- still lesser AF, for some reason Nikon doesn't have constraints
- what does it do more for bigger price than the competition in the segment? ISO could be wrong answer because MP equals it out on the Nikon side. Well, depends for who, but both have their usages and users
- overlapping vs distinction strategy  - expensive vs very expensive (Canon) vs complementing products (Nikon)
- it is not nice to change strategy overnight, suddenly there is no option at all for those who believed Canon is the leading option for more MP - btw take this seriously as the next models will have more MP, even the next 1Dx2 (until the optimum is reached, looking at current technology it's around 30-35MP)

« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 11:42:52 AM by Ivar »

XanuFoto

« Reply #162 on: March 01, 2012, 11:45:54 AM »
I dumped my MKI two months ago in anticipation for this one. Until last week I entertained ideas of getting a used MKII. But today I am glad I did not pick the MKII. I know the MKII is a darn good camera, but with this AF on the MKIII, I might most probably put in a Pre-order as soon as I have confirmed specs.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #162 on: March 01, 2012, 11:45:54 AM »

pakosouthpark

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 01, 2012, 11:46:49 AM »
sweeeet, i want even more details about the video stuff!!!

kenraw

« Reply #164 on: March 01, 2012, 11:47:09 AM »
After all the months of waiting does the full spec's of camera finally satisfy you.

For me it's everything I dreamed of, a full frame 7d on steroids  ready to destroy the competition with it's IQ and versatility.

I can't wait to order one.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #164 on: March 01, 2012, 11:47:09 AM »