October 23, 2014, 12:40:03 AM

Author Topic: 5D Mark III Full Spec List?  (Read 68552 times)

awinphoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
Re: 5D Mark III Full Spec List?
« Reply #180 on: March 01, 2012, 12:06:52 PM »
I am looking between 1DX and 5D mark III.
So looking to see what are the differences between the two. The ones i can see are

10. ISO difference - If the native is 1 stop lower on 5D Mark III, that means most probably the usable ISO is ISO 1600 and can go to ISO 3200/6400 in tough situations. For me coming from 5D, this is atleast 2 stop increase already for Mark III. And for the dance concerts i do take it is sufficient. There is enough lighting on the stage for me to be happy with a 2 stop increase. So professionally i am good. Personally higher ISO will allow me to take photos of parties etc without the flash and capture more of the ambience. So 1DX has an advantage - tiny bit only.

Anything else that is different. Anything else i need to consider?

The 5D3 will not be 2 stops better than 5D in high ISO performance.
Perhaps 1 stop. Perhaps even 1.5 stop as would be extremely good and better than D3s. Certainly not 2 stop.

I would be interesting how you came up with this conclusion...  Please post the links to show image samples to prove your point... With a camera 2 generations newer, better processors, until we get production samples we have no basis to make any conclusions... Heck, the other day someone posted about a modern rebel being almost as good at ISO 3200 than the 5d classic... and that's a crop camera...  Cool down a bit before we start making rash uneducated guesses. 
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, Canon 85 1.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #180 on: March 01, 2012, 12:06:52 PM »

TOOMA

« Reply #181 on: March 01, 2012, 12:11:36 PM »
Am I the only one sorely disappointing by the lack of megapixels and substantially higher price? I love canon, but specs/price wise I am liking the D800 a little more. It would greatly pain me to switch. Tell me that there's truly another camera on the horizon... I will wait if I need to. I want Canon's DIGIC 5 and a crap ton of megapixels with the option to oversample if I like. Come on baby, this can't be all you got up your sleeve. I can't afford medium format nor the 1D series line... give me the goods in a 5D. Tell me this is your video 5D and there will be an upcoming 5D (with video still) but geared toward photography, call it a 5DX, it should see through the dark and have eagle vision.

I'm unhappy with the lack of MP's.  If i needed stupid ISO performance and FPS i'd get the 1DX

I believe there's a 41MP camera phone with your name on it. :P

pedro

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: March 01, 2012, 12:14:20 PM »
@awinphoto: what is your guess? as I do not own any ff 5D at the time? compared to the current 5D2 and my photography preferencies at very low light? I'm shooting people at ISO 3200 with a 50 f1.4 wide open and well exposed to the right on my current 30D using good light sources like street lanterns for example and print that b/w. Thanks. Sorry if that is an absolutely hypothetical question!
30D, EF-S 10-22/ 5DIII, 16-35 F/2.8 L USM II, 28 F/2.8, 50 F/1.4, 85 F/1.8, 70-200 F/2.8 classic,
join me at http://www.flickr.com/groups/insane_isos/

awinphoto

• View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #183 on: March 01, 2012, 12:15:49 PM »
IQ doesn't equal to ISO only, it still matters a lot what a camera can do at ISO100. Are we going to get rid of banding this time?

My issues are, comparing the competition, very simple:
- still lesser AF, for some reason Nikon doesn't have constraints
- what does it do more for bigger price than the competition in the segment? ISO could be wrong answer because MP equals it out on the Nikon side. Well, depends for who, but both have their usages and users
- overlapping vs distinction strategy  - expensive vs very expensive (Canon) vs complementing products (Nikon)
- it is not nice to change strategy overnight, suddenly there is no option at all for those who believed Canon is the leading option for more MP - btw take this seriously as the next models will have more MP, even the next 1Dx2 (until the optimum is reached, looking at current technology it's around 30-35MP)

Currently I fail to see any magic in this camera, just as usual Canon's crippled update, whereas the price seems to indicate premium qualities.

In that sense Nikon has clear and understandable distinction - full package in all FF cameras targeting different auditoriums, against Canon's very expensive and crippled expensive option.

What exactly do you think is crippled about this? These specs look much more appealing to me than the Nikon D800.

Exactly... granted it can still change up until it's release, but other than MP, what does the D800 have that the 5d3 (rumored) doesn't have that has been confirmed?  ISO even wins (theoretically until tested) which is a first for canon.

I'm sure i'm going to regret this later, but ok... 61 Pts with possibly up to 40 something cross points... vs Nikons AF... what exactly can their non "constraints" AF do that this camera cant do, especially since we have not gotten any test results and are working purely on speculation...

ISO vs MP... this debates been beaten to death 3 years ago with the 5d mark 2 vs D700, no in reverse...  Until we see results, everything is pure speculation.... With the new digic 5+, for all we know ISO could be pretty groundbreaking... until we see samples, we dont know and isn't worth crapping our pants yet. 

Overlapping vs distinction... ehh... I still dont see your point given that nikon essentially does the same thing with their flagships, just with different features...  ehhh I pass

Since you have the power to look into the future, I'm quite envious... I would love to hear about the 5d mark 4, 1dx2...  heck, who will be the next president... you could make a fortune at the sport books with your powers, hope it's helping you save up for the new cameras...
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, Canon 85 1.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

tjc320

« Reply #184 on: March 01, 2012, 12:17:14 PM »
Nobody has yet to answer my question:

How official is this list? Where did it come from? Is it everything or will Canon also include surprise stuff when it's announced?

What is the CR Rating on this?

Sorry cr guy but you kind of had a lapse when reporting on this. That or I missed something.

Peerke

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
    • Photo Amora
« Reply #185 on: March 01, 2012, 12:18:19 PM »
Thank you for not changing the battery type and keep the LP-E6 for this beauty.  ;)
7D, 40D, EF-S 10-22, EF-S 17-55 f/2.8, EF-S 18-135, EF 70-200 f/4 IS, EF 35 f2.0, EF 85 f/1.8, EF 50 f/1.8 II, EF 100 f/2.0, Sigma 150, Speedlite 430 II

Edwin Herdman

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: March 01, 2012, 12:18:56 PM »
Only 150K shutter activations on this model?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #186 on: March 01, 2012, 12:18:56 PM »

awinphoto

• View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #187 on: March 01, 2012, 12:22:24 PM »
@awinphoto: what is your guess? as I do not own any ff 5D at the time? compared to the current 5D2 and my photography preferencies at very low light? I'm shooting people at ISO 3200 with a 50 f1.4 wide open and well exposed to the right on my current 30D using good light sources like street lanterns for example and print that b/w. Thanks. Sorry if that is an absolutely hypothetical question!

Well there's a few ways to look at it... the 5d2 had the same pixel density as the 30D that you're used to, but I believe had a newer processor which gave it better low light (not to mention the added benefits of a FF sensor, so basically it had 1.3 stops better, plus another few stops benefit of the digic 4 processor vs the 30D's digic 3...) Now the pixel density, for arguments sake is still the same give or take, and the digic 5 was praised by canon by adding another stop or two better ISO over the 4... I'm not sure if the 5+ is supposed to be even better than the 5 or just an adaptation for the EOS line... but I would say you would be happy with the IQ of either the 5d2 OR even more with the 5d3 if you have the funds to afford it, but this is all theory until we see production samples... Of course i'm waiting on confirmation from the all mighty neuro to confirm or debunk everything i say =)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 12:24:47 PM by awinphoto »

awinphoto

• View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #188 on: March 01, 2012, 12:23:17 PM »

How official is this list? Where did it come from? Is it everything or will Canon also include surprise stuff when it's announced?

Sorry cr guy but you kind of had a lapse when reporting on this. That or I missed something.

Who knows... it looks like this list came from NL, so ask them =)

EYEONE

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: March 01, 2012, 12:23:26 PM »
There seems to be a lot of fanboys in this thread... hardware wise how much better really do you feel this is than the 5D mark II besides the DIGIC 5 (which handles the high iso and framerate) and the small increase in MP by the sensor?  If you pretend that this camera wasn't from Canon would you still feel the same way?

I don't care about the MPs. What I am excited about is that its a brand new processor that should have much better ISO performance. You forgot the biggest improvement of all: the AF system. I'm pumped about 61 points.

If you are asking if I would be as excited about this camera if it was made by Nikon I would have to honestly say "no". It's ok to say that. I don't have any money in the Nikon system. If Nikon came out with this camera I would feel jealous. It isn't "fanboyism", it's just excitement about a fantastic camera that is part of a system I invested in. And I plan on buying one, absolutely.
Canon 5D Mark III w/BG-E11, Canon 7D w/BG-E7: EF 24-70mm f.2.8L, EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS II, EF 40mm f2.8 Pancake STM, Speedlite 430EXII + 430EXI, Canon EOS 3

dswatson83

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: March 01, 2012, 12:24:01 PM »
It is not official. It happens to go alone with the rumors which is a big reason why it is being thought of as legit but they could be filling it with viable placeholders for all we know...or just trying to get traffic.

djejmz

How long after announcement to release?
« Reply #191 on: March 01, 2012, 12:25:32 PM »
Hey guys,

Never followed the release of a camera, so forgive me if it's a dumb question.

From past releases, how long do you think it'll be afterMarch 2nd until we can actually get our hands on a 5dMIII? Please god let it be by July/August!

plam_1980

« Reply #192 on: March 01, 2012, 12:26:11 PM »
IQ doesn't equal to ISO only, it still matters a lot what a camera can do at ISO100. Are we going to get rid of banding this time?

My issues are, comparing the competition, very simple:
- still lesser AF, for some reason Nikon doesn't have constraints
- what does it do more for bigger price than the competition in the segment? ISO could be wrong answer because MP equals it out on the Nikon side. Well, depends for who, but both have their usages and users
- overlapping vs distinction strategy  - expensive vs very expensive (Canon) vs complementing products (Nikon)
- it is not nice to change strategy overnight, suddenly there is no option at all for those who believed Canon is the leading option for more MP - btw take this seriously as the next models will have more MP, even the next 1Dx2 (until the optimum is reached, looking at current technology it's around 30-35MP)

Currently I fail to see any magic in this camera, just as usual Canon's crippled update, whereas the price seems to indicate premium qualities.

In that sense Nikon has clear and understandable distinction - full package in all FF cameras targeting different auditoriums, against Canon's very expensive and crippled expensive option.

What exactly do you think is crippled about this? These specs look much more appealing to me than the Nikon D800.

Exactly... granted it can still change up until it's release, but other than MP, what does the D800 have that the 5d3 (rumored) doesn't have that has been confirmed?  ISO even wins (theoretically until tested) which is a first for canon.

?? How did you decide AF is lesser? From pure specs it looks the opposite?
And how do you know what will be Canon's answer on the MP race? There have been many discussions that a MP monster is in the making. This camera is in the making for quite a lot of time, no change overnight can happen, that is the same as stating Nikon changed strategy overnigt, because they were the one leaning on low MP/high quality. Do you think Canon made this camera in the one month since D800 announcement? You just don't know what you are talking about

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #192 on: March 01, 2012, 12:26:11 PM »

EYEONE

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: March 01, 2012, 12:26:43 PM »
I think the main dissapointment is the crippled AF and metering.

5D3 will have to compete with D800 and now when also the AF and meetering seems to be behind D800 it's not a good thing.
In specification I only see one clear advantage for 5D3 at that is that it will beat D800 in IQ at 6 FPS in.

Canon must have sorted out their old problem with Dynamic Range and banding and also made a boost in Quantum Efficieny. If they despite the low resolution have done something incredible to these 3 issues the 5D3 may do well again D800. I hope so.

So you think Canon's 61 point / 41 cross type AF system will be worse than Nikon's 51 point / 15 cross type AF system?
So interesting...  :o
Canon 5D Mark III w/BG-E11, Canon 7D w/BG-E7: EF 24-70mm f.2.8L, EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS II, EF 40mm f2.8 Pancake STM, Speedlite 430EXII + 430EXI, Canon EOS 3

fotoray

• EOS M2
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: March 01, 2012, 12:27:46 PM »
Thinking of ways to justitufy this purchase to my wife.........maybe it will just be my little secret. This camera body is also black so she will not know the difference. Part of being a good potographer is being creative.....right??

+1  Looks enough like my 7D to be mistaken for it.   Love the addition of multiple exposure and HDR mode and that it uses SAME batteries as 5D2 and 7D.  Can't wait to pre-order.....

Where is the DOF preview button?
5D Mk III | 7D | 20D | EF-S 10-22 | EF-S 17-85 | EF 17-40 f/4L | EF 24-105 f/4L | EF 70-300 DO | EF-S 60 macro | EF 100L macro | 580EX II | RRS Series 2 tripod | plus many gadgets |

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #194 on: March 01, 2012, 12:27:46 PM »