October 31, 2014, 01:28:13 PM

Author Topic: 5D Mark III Full Spec List?  (Read 68830 times)

dswatson83

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: 5D Mark III Full Spec List?
« Reply #195 on: March 01, 2012, 12:28:57 PM »
There seems to be a lot of fanboys in this thread... hardware wise how much better really do you feel this is than the 5D mark II besides the DIGIC 5 (which handles the high iso and framerate) and the small increase in MP by the sensor?  If you pretend that this camera wasn't from Canon would you still feel the same way?

I don't care about the MPs. What I am excited about is that its a brand new processor that should have much better ISO performance. You forgot the biggest improvement of all: the AF system. I'm pumped about 61 points.

If you are asking if I would as excited about this camera if it was by Nikon I would have to honestly say "no". It's ok to say that. I don't have any money in the Nikon system. If they came out with this camera I would feel jealous. It isn't "fanboyism", it's just excitement about a fantastic camera that is part of a system I invested in. And I plan on buying one, absolutely.
I find it awesome that Nikon fanboys are hitting Canon for not having enough pixels. This from the manufacture that thought 12MP was plenty for PRO cameras even while Canons line ranged from 16-22 for similar cameras. Even the D3x only had 24MP and everyone thought this was too much. All the Nikon fans were complaining that Canon had too many pixels 2 years ago. Now they are back on the MP bandwagon with the D800 intro, even before any tests are in. Maybe they forgot that the new pro camera, the Nikon D4, is still only 16MP. Obviously Nikon thinks this is more than enough for Pro results. The D4 will be in production for at least 3-4 years too.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #195 on: March 01, 2012, 12:28:57 PM »

awinphoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #196 on: March 01, 2012, 12:32:34 PM »
I think the main dissapointment is the crippled AF and metering.

5D3 will have to compete with D800 and now when also the AF and meetering seems to be behind D800 it's not a good thing.
In specification I only see one clear advantage for 5D3 at that is that it will beat D800 in IQ at 6 FPS in.

Canon must have sorted out their old problem with Dynamic Range and banding and also made a boost in Quantum Efficieny. If they despite the low resolution have done something incredible to these 3 issues the 5D3 may do well again D800. I hope so.

But we dont know 100% if it is crippled or not....  Lets just wait and see... then by all means we can flame it all we want at that point... regardless its leaps and bounds better than the 9PT af with 1 cross point that the 5d2 was...  plus, until the cameras are tested head to head, NO ONE knows how they will compare. 
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, Canon 85 1.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

aZhu

« Reply #197 on: March 01, 2012, 12:33:45 PM »
Thinking of ways to justitufy this purchase to my wife.........maybe it will just be my little secret. This camera body is also black so she will not know the difference. Part of being a good potographer is being creative.....right??

+1  Looks enough like my 7D to be mistaken for it.   Love the addition of multiple exposure and HDR mode and that it uses SAME batteries as 5D2 and 7D.  Can't wait to pre-order.....

Where is the DOF preview button?

I was wondering about the DOF preview button as well... I rarely use the DOF preview button but it'd still be nice to have one.

nvsravank

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: March 01, 2012, 12:34:10 PM »
I am looking between 1DX and 5D mark III.
So looking to see what are the differences between the two. The ones i can see are

10. ISO difference - If the native is 1 stop lower on 5D Mark III, that means most probably the usable ISO is ISO 1600 and can go to ISO 3200/6400 in tough situations. For me coming from 5D, this is atleast 2 stop increase already for Mark III. And for the dance concerts i do take it is sufficient. There is enough lighting on the stage for me to be happy with a 2 stop increase. So professionally i am good. Personally higher ISO will allow me to take photos of parties etc without the flash and capture more of the ambience. So 1DX has an advantage - tiny bit only.

Anything else that is different. Anything else i need to consider?

The 5D3 will not be 2 stops better than 5D in high ISO performance.
Perhaps 1 stop. Perhaps even 1.5 stop as would be extremely good and better than D3s. Certainly not 2 stop.
In my 5D i am comfortable with ISO 400. Just barely with ISO 800. So I use ISO 800 only when absolutely necessary. With the LR3 noise reduction i can clean up the noise well, but i feel it makes faces look plasticky a bit at ISO 800.

From all the photos i have seen, the 5D Mark II performance at ISO 800 is same as the ISO 400 performance of the 5D. That is a 1 stop improvement.

From the discussion i am expecting 5D Mark III to have 1 stop advantage at higher ISO to 5D Mark II. with that said i am expecting that ISO 1600 in 5D Mark III is as noisy as ISO 400 on 5D. So to me that is 2 stops advantage.

The question to you is which part of my logic is flawed / am mistaken in your opinion?

awinphoto

• View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #199 on: March 01, 2012, 12:34:42 PM »

5D3 will have to compete with D800 and now when also the AF and meetering seems to be behind D800 it's not a good thing.
In specification I only see one clear advantage for 5D3 at that is that it will beat D800 in IQ at 6 FPS in.

Canon must have sorted out their old problem with Dynamic Range and banding and also made a boost in Quantum Efficieny. If they despite the low resolution have done something incredible to these 3 issues the 5D3 may do well again D800. I hope so.

So you think Canon's 61 point / 41 cross type AF system will be worse than Nikon's 51 point / 15 cross type AF system?
So interesting...  :o

Didn't you hear, Nikon has some super duper telepathic AF monitoring that focuses on the exact AF your thinking of... Come on canon, catch up!  =) 
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, Canon 85 1.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

Jordan

« Reply #200 on: March 01, 2012, 12:38:38 PM »
WOAH WOAH WOAH... ARE THESE PHOTOS REAL?!
If so... didn't anyone notice the CF icon with a 1 on it and the SD icon with a 2 on it?  That means it FINALLY has what I've been asking for, like the 1DMkIV, dual memory slots (1 CF & 1 SD).
Also... who said anything about 61-point AF?  Why would it have that?  I highly doubt that!!! That's for 1-Series cameras.
Seriously... are those photos real???

- Jordan
www.freshphotoblog.com

dswatson83

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: March 01, 2012, 12:41:42 PM »
In my 5D i am comfortable with ISO 400. Just barely with ISO 800. So I use ISO 800 only when absolutely necessary. With the LR3 noise reduction i can clean up the noise well, but i feel it makes faces look plasticky a bit at ISO 800.
From all the photos i have seen, the 5D Mark II performance at ISO 800 is same as the ISO 400 performance of the 5D. That is a 1 stop improvement.
From the discussion i am expecting 5D Mark III to have 1 stop advantage at higher ISO to 5D Mark II. with that said i am expecting that ISO 1600 in 5D Mark III is as noisy as ISO 400 on 5D. So to me that is 2 stops advantage.
The question to you is which part of my logic is flawed / am mistaken in your opinion?
I think it may even be better. Canon managed a 1 stop increase from the 5D to the 5D mark II while just about doubling the pixels. With the same pixels on the sensor and the Digic V on board, you could see almost 2 stops improvement from the 5D mark II. Nikon got about 2 stops on the D700 when the introduced the D3S which had the same size sensor and same MP count so it is possible.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #201 on: March 01, 2012, 12:41:42 PM »

popps12

« Reply #202 on: March 01, 2012, 12:43:02 PM »
 I was hoping for video tethering. I shoot a ton of video product as well as stills of the same items for web. I want to do this with one camera for SKU naming on the fly. It looks like I'm going to have to wait again until the powers that be address this issue >:(

dedrick427

Re: How long after announcement to release?
« Reply #203 on: March 01, 2012, 12:48:08 PM »
I don't know, but this site has it for pre-order for $4,200 F-ING DOLLARS for the BODY ONLY!!! Not sure if that's AU or US $$ though...  O_o

http://www.teds.com.au/canon-eos-5d-mark-iii

yuuko

« Reply #204 on: March 01, 2012, 12:49:28 PM »
Currently I fail to see any magic in this camera, just as usual Canon's crippled update, whereas the price seems to indicate premium qualities.

In that sense Nikon has clear and understandable distinction - full package in all FF cameras targeting different auditoriums, against Canon's very expensive and crippled expensive option.

What exactly do you think is crippled about this? These specs look much more appealing to me than the Nikon D800.

Exactly... granted it can still change up until it's release, but other than MP, what does the D800 have that the 5d3 (rumored) doesn't have that has been confirmed?  ISO even wins (theoretically until tested) which is a first for canon.

Is Nikons low light AF still going to be better I wonder?

Until we start getting production samples, it's anyones guess.

Until the final specs are finally released AND production samples are out it's anyone's guess.  When comparing the D800 to the D4 and the current 5D mk3 to the 1D-X, the D800 does carry more of the D4 technology when compared to the 5D mk3 and 1D-X (mainly the metering, and AF).  We do not know the complete specs on the 5D mk3 so there is no way to compare any of the cameras yet. 

I do feel that if these specs are correct then Nikon will have taken the Canon approach of the last gen cameras and Canon the Nikon approach.  They kind of flip-flopped positions based on the intended audience for their new smaller body FX cameras.  To me the most interesting aspect of the D800 is the removal of the AA filter option which is targeted towards a specific audience.  Also keep in mind that Nikon has said that the D800 is not the successor to the D700, but they wanted to introduce a whole new category to the Nikon lineup. 

Regardless if you shoot Nikon or Canon, it's an awesome time to be a photographer with many new and exciting tools out there for our disposal.  I'm excited to see the production units of all of these cameras 1D-X, D4, 5D mk3, and D800/E.  I just wonder what the release date of the 5D mk3 is going to be.

jm345

« Reply #205 on: March 01, 2012, 12:51:29 PM »

It looks like it is on the other side of the lens mount and a larger sized button.

CowGummy

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • www.smrphotoart.com
Re: LOL what happens on Saturday after launch
« Reply #206 on: March 01, 2012, 12:54:18 PM »
Hahaha - that's brilliant!
Hard to believe that was uploaded back in August 2010! Goes to show how long people have been waiting for this camera to be announced.
5DmkII   |  50 f/1.4  |  24-105L f/4  |  135L f/2  |  70-200L f/2.8 IS II  |  430exII

awinphoto

• View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #207 on: March 01, 2012, 01:00:08 PM »
Thinking of ways to justitufy this purchase to my wife.........maybe it will just be my little secret. This camera body is also black so she will not know the difference. Part of being a good potographer is being creative.....right??

+1  Looks enough like my 7D to be mistaken for it.   Love the addition of multiple exposure and HDR mode and that it uses SAME batteries as 5D2 and 7D.  Can't wait to pre-order.....

I was wondering about the DOF preview button as well... I rarely use the DOF preview button but it'd still be nice to have one.

I think it's to the other side of the lens mount (or maybe thats just another programmable button that CAN be DOF preview or whatever funtion you need)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #207 on: March 01, 2012, 01:00:08 PM »

awinphoto

• View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #208 on: March 01, 2012, 01:01:18 PM »
WOAH WOAH WOAH... ARE THESE PHOTOS REAL?!
If so... didn't anyone notice the CF icon with a 1 on it and the SD icon with a 2 on it?  That means it FINALLY has what I've been asking for, like the 1DMkIV, dual memory slots (1 CF & 1 SD).
Also... who said anything about 61-point AF?  Why would it have that?  I highly doubt that!!! That's for 1-Series cameras.
Seriously... are those photos real???

- Jordan
www.freshphotoblog.com

It says CF+SD and 61 pt AF...

KeithR

« Reply #209 on: March 01, 2012, 01:04:23 PM »
Again with this "crippled" AF nonsense - have you even read the spec?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #209 on: March 01, 2012, 01:04:23 PM »