December 20, 2014, 11:09:26 AM

Author Topic: 5D Mark III Full Spec List?  (Read 70630 times)

Nikon

Re: 5D Mark III Full Spec List?
« Reply #210 on: March 01, 2012, 01:05:29 PM »
Finally, great news!  Just tell me where I can order one from! 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #210 on: March 01, 2012, 01:05:29 PM »

Nikon

Re: How long after announcement to release?
« Reply #211 on: March 01, 2012, 01:08:42 PM »
It must be AU dollars not US.  But still seems much higher than anybody expected.

Eagle Eye

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: March 01, 2012, 01:12:27 PM »
People might get annoyed or offended, but I think this needs to be said (don't smite me, please).  If you are or wish to be a full-frame shooter and really, truly, heartfully can look at the spec list for this new camera and say with a straight face, "wow, Canon REALLY missed the mark on this one.  The D800 is going to crush this!" then I feel confident encouraging you to go buy Nikon equipment, because constantly switching is going to be the only way for you to find happiness in this world.  You could try getting a pet, too.  Like a gerbil.

I made a post a week ago that I now would like to retract, claiming that the 5D III was in trouble if the price point was really $3,500 compared the D800's $3,000.  Given the spec list here and the sheer refined look of this camera, I think it easily justifies the extra $200 or $300 in actual market price over the D800. EASILY.

For the individual claiming that this is just not enough resolution and you need 38 for your wedding photography, you're not going to find a lot of friends over at Nikon, given that they only had 12 megapixel sensors for, like, a millennia, and did just fine.  I'd like to take a moment to remind you that in the 1990s, wedding photographers shot with a medium called "film" with 45 autofocus points.  If you can honestly look me in the eye and tell me with a straight face that your photographs look bad or in any way insufficient at 21 or 22 megapixels, I will do you the courtesy of looking you back in the eye and telling you bluntly that it's not your camera that sucks, it's you.  I will than buy your 5D Mark II from you and give you a pat on the back.  It's going to be okay. 

I had no plans to upgrade from my 5D Mark II, but this camera is making me rethink that given that it didn't just upgrade one or two things, but everything, including the body lines (still waiting on dimensions and weight).  This tells me that Canon has generated a golden seller.  If this thing weighs less and is smaller than the Mark II, I'm advising the wife the credit card bill is going bulge this coming August.  Autumn landscapes, here we come...  Again, no smiting, please.  This is to be a day of joy and happiness.
Gear! When do we get gear?!

Nikon

« Reply #213 on: March 01, 2012, 01:13:07 PM »
I think the main dissapointment is the crippled AF and metering.
Again with this "crippled" AF nonsense - have you even read the spec?

It says:

"61-point high-density reticular AF (up to 41 crosstype points)"

61 high density and 41 crosstype points, I am satisfied.

KeithR

« Reply #214 on: March 01, 2012, 01:13:32 PM »
ISO even wins (theoretically until tested) which is a first for canon.
Oh, not even close - try comparing a Nikon D200 (which I used to shoot) with a Canon 30D (the camera the D200 drove me into the arms of).

And if we're talking FF, the 5D Mk II is/was at least as good at the image level as the D3/D700, and arguably better.

Ivar

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: March 01, 2012, 01:14:44 PM »
* I meant the comparison against the 1Dx - the metering sensor linked to the AF is lesser in the 5D MK3 specs, thus saying "crippled".

* As for groundbreaking ISO, we haven't seen any evidence even from 6 months ago announced 1Dx.

* High number of megapixels vs high ISO low number of megapixels is not what I would call overlapping.

* Canon has increased every time MP (G12 doesn't count as it was Sony's decision, the 1Dx vs the 1ds Mk4 doesn't count as looking at the specs it is clearly the succesor to the 1D Mk4 at every respect no matter what Canon says - I hope you still possess critical thinking to sort that out).

I'm sure i'm going to regret this later, but ok... 61 Pts with possibly up to 40 something cross points... vs Nikons AF... what exactly can their non "constraints" AF do that this camera cant do, especially since we have not gotten any test results and are working purely on speculation...

ISO vs MP... this debates been beaten to death 3 years ago with the 5d mark 2 vs D700, no in reverse...  Until we see results, everything is pure speculation.... With the new digic 5+, for all we know ISO could be pretty groundbreaking... until we see samples, we dont know and isn't worth crapping our pants yet. 

Overlapping vs distinction... ehh... I still dont see your point given that nikon essentially does the same thing with their flagships, just with different features...  ehhh I pass

Since you have the power to look into the future, I'm quite envious... I would love to hear about the 5d mark 4, 1dx2...  heck, who will be the next president... you could make a fortune at the sport books with your powers, hope it's helping you save up for the new cameras...

jrista

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • EOL
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #216 on: March 01, 2012, 01:15:10 PM »
Well, HAPPY HAPPY  ;D  ;D about 61/41 AF!! Seems the 5D line is finally getting an appropriate and competitive AF system. I was extremely skeptical it would, glad to be proven wrong on that one!

A bit dismayed about the metering though.  :-\ iFCL 63-zone....rather than the 1D X 100k RGB pixel metering and AF assist system. Guess thats entirely logical...even if we get the full 61pt AF of the 1D X, no way its going to perform as well without the linked in metering and slower FPS. Still, HAPPY it will have a better AF system!!  :D

Also VERY HAPPY  :D that it is still using LP-E6 batteries! I bought a bunch of those for my 7D, and totally expected to have to buy a bunch of a different kind when the 5D III came out. Looks like I can share my batteries amongst both bodies! WOOT!!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #216 on: March 01, 2012, 01:15:10 PM »

KeithR

« Reply #217 on: March 01, 2012, 01:15:19 PM »
It says:

"61-point high-density reticular AF (up to 41 crosstype points)"

61 high density and 41 crosstype points, I am satisfied.
Exactly - hardly "crippled", is it?

SpareImp

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: March 01, 2012, 01:16:47 PM »
Just to chime in: I think these specs looks great. It seems to be an all-round camera, which suits me. Especially considering the improved video capabilities. I typically do documentaries, and similar kinds of productions. However, I will wait for the specific price in my country before I make a final decision whether to buy this in the near future, or to wait for a while.

marekjoz

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • marekjoz @flickr
« Reply #219 on: March 01, 2012, 01:18:50 PM »
Regarding AF - do you think that IF Canon resolved problems with AF@f8 on 1dx, 5d3 will have AF@f8 too?
BTW I think, that if we'll find out  tomorrow, that 5d3 autofocuses at f8, it will mean, that it will work on 1dx as well (I can't imagine 5d3 would and 1dx wouldn't).

BTW It's totally crazy today - I wrote this post for about 90 seconds and: "Warning - while you were typing 5 new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post."
flickr | youtube | 5D2, 50 F/1.4, 24-105 F/4 L IS, 300 F/4 L IS, x1.4 II

DavidRiesenberg

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • David Riesenberg
« Reply #220 on: March 01, 2012, 01:20:49 PM »
A couple of months ago people were OK with an almost 7D / 7D AF system. Now it's not good enough because it might be slightly worse than the 1DX. Fun times.  ;D

zhap03

« Reply #221 on: March 01, 2012, 01:21:20 PM »
Why won't Canon put on-board flash into their 5D series?  I can honestly say that I really appreciate having on-board flash with my 7D.  It's bothersome to have to carry a 580 flash if you just feel like travelling light.  It just seems like having putting a flash onto the 5D3 would make it a very versatile, "do-it-all" type camera.  Thx.

dho81

« Reply #222 on: March 01, 2012, 01:23:29 PM »
I don't know, but this site has it for pre-order for $4,200 F-ING DOLLARS for the BODY ONLY!!! Not sure if that's AU or US $$ though...  O_o

http://www.teds.com.au/canon-eos-5d-mark-iii

Probably worth noting that the 1Dx is listed on that site at $8,999.95 -- that should tell us something about the $4,200 price since the 1Dx was originally slated to be $6,800 MSRP wasn't it?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #222 on: March 01, 2012, 01:23:29 PM »

foxikk

« Reply #223 on: March 01, 2012, 01:28:28 PM »
Dual Card Slot so that means... Eye-Fi SD ?! :)

awinphoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #224 on: March 01, 2012, 01:29:14 PM »
No its not possible.
The 5D2 is about 1/2 stop better than 5D.
The D3s is about 2/3 stop better than D700.

The 5D3 is not expected to have 1 stop advantage over 5D2. That would require a QE of ~66%. I don't say it's impossible but it would be a very big (and nice) surprice.

Ehhh....  Lets just agree to disagree until we see pictures... the proof is in the pudding. 
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, Canon 85 1.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #224 on: March 01, 2012, 01:29:14 PM »